Status check and poll on recent crack down - Page 17 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Has the recent enforcement of the rules been successful?
Yes, and stay the course. 31 47.69%
Somewhat, but scale back a bit. 29 44.62%
Not really, so roll back to the way it used to be. 5 7.69%
No, you need to try something else entirely. See post. 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 PM   #161
Chameleon Company
Rick,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Surely many questions may be asked of why someone has a certain opinion, while at the same time they are under no obligation to answer except to say what the opinion is, and that they are content with it. I don't think that I identified the person as a "friend". their thoughts on it, although somewhat brief, were pretty clear, and not in the positive. Everyone will absolutely see it differently, but as in many things, not all objectively. For instance, Wendy took me to task just for participating as I do in the BOI and here. While it was OK for her and others, she expected more from me ! I am not endorsing that standard, but it exists. I did make it pretty clear that I was not a fan of HELL, and held it in lower regard earlier, calling it the "red light" district on Fauna. Others chose to then chide me about participating. So, I entertained their concerns. My comments may only hit home to just a few folks, who were in a position to be so targeted.

Dan,
I certainly can sympathize with anyone's view that "its not for me", and we concur that its not an all-bad thing.

Which then brings me to Dennis.
You are right as well, in that most of it is civil, and that it shares many of the same member's, etc., as the BOI regulars. But it also has its moments when it is uncivil, similar to the old BOI, and a poor reflection on at least its immediate participants. We both know that, valid or not, people will judge you by the "company you keep". If we were to take a broad poll of those who know of the BOI in the greater reptile community, and of HELL, and ask them if they think more or less of participants there, the average rating for HELL participants would be lower than that of the BOI (which would still be viewed poorly by some, and is part of Rich's motivation to clean it up), and very few would rate it as being a "good thing", with most opinions ranging in the "doesn't matter" to "poorer reflection" category. As Rick mentioned, the "judge not lest ye be judged" will matter to some, and not to many others. You and I judge folks in the BOI all the time. As you know of late, I have very specific reasons to think poorly of some of the posts there, and those who made them. In a way, I am also grateful that they had the opportunity to show what they did, and I used it to my benefit. I also think it likely that discussing it here may actually increase enrollment there !

Dennis, and Rick, and Dan, we may not always agree, but especially with Dennis and Dan (as you post often), you two are a big part of what is good about the BOI and the site. If you had the time and desire to post more Rick, I am sure that you would bring many good things ot the table as well. You all give it credibility. Right now, there's only about a handful of folks ... maybe a dozen.... that provide most of the substance in the BOI. Within that dozen, anything legitimate gets looked at pretty well, with nary a stone unturned. We are all hoping that the crackdown will bring more into the fold, and hopefully we will see that. I think we all know that when we disagree, it makes for some of the better reading around here. And with that, I salute you. FYI, like Rich, my recent ability to spend time here is about to reduce drastically. I'm sure that will be OK with a few.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #162
crotalusadamanteus
LOL OK, I can dig it. And very well put.
I couldn't speak like that if I tried. LOL I have not the vocabulary.

Rick

Old 02-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #163
Chameleon Company
Well, neither does our President, but he sure finds a way to make the connection to enough folks to get elected ! Getting back to something Dennis said, the biggest blemish carried by HELL is the bashing of other members IMO. To those of us who know that we can't please everybody, we take some comfort in knowing that those we don't are showing the distinction. Some of us enjoy handing those that do take the cheaper shots the logs to throw on those fires !

Old 02-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #164
KelliH
I'm a member of the HELL forum. If that fact lowers someone's opinion of me, well, that's their prerogative of course. I myself try not to base my opinion of another on what online forums they subscribe to, rather on their honestly, kindness and integrity.

Some posts in HELL are funny and entertaining, some are asinine, and some are just plain boring. Sort of the way it is in every forum here on Fauna!

As far as the rule enforcement topic goes, it's not hard to be civil and polite while still having a debate or discussion with another(s). I've been a member of this site for a few years, and have made quite a few posts, which I managed to do without earning a single warning point. I'm not special by any means, I just see no real point in name calling and etc. Well, except in HELL of course, hehee! ;-p

Old 02-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #165
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
It is designed to make this site effective, credible, and respectable. If this site is none of those, then it is useless as the tool I designed it to be. THAT is my motive. To make this site better then where it was apparently heading. So that when YOU get screwed in a deal, there is a real good chance the BOI will help YOU.
Well, I've said my piece in a number of the older related threads, so other than voting in this one, I've stayed out of this thread, and any of the newer related ones, but thought maybe I could voice a little more on that statement. I agree with the credibility, and respectability issues, the effectiveness is the one I'm "worried" about. Being credible and respectable, will I think cause the effectiveness of the BOI to get better, in that it will help in those situations where a "mistake" has been made by an otherwise good guy, or a bad guy on the "brink", and they will rectify the mistake because they have decided to stay in the good graces of the BOI.

What I am worried about is the "bigger picture", that is the outright scammers, real thieves, and real bad guys. Now in a way, the BOI is not effective with these types anyway, because for the most part they don't care. Where I think the "old" BOI was effective, was we had quite a few "bulldogs" who were very tenacious with these type of people, so that even though they were basically saying "up yours" to the BOI, they were still feeling a lot of heat. These bulldogs always kept a look out all over the web, every time they (bad guys) popped up on another site with ads, or different forums with different alias', or whatever, they would be re-exposed, or would just get tired of being hounded. I think that is what we are going to lose with the "new" BOI. I'm already seeing more threads that have only 4 or 5 responses, something like; Here's how I got scammed......then a couple people saying..."Sorry you got scammed, thanks for letting us know about it" and the thread dissapears in 2 days. If the bulldogs where still here they would have searched these people down, and exposed everything about them. Then rather than just a "sorry it happened" post dissapearing, we would either have a resolution, or have "massively" exposed these people. In other instances lately, I've seen a couple threads where there was enough activity and pressure, to truly expose a scammer, but now it seems easier for them to head off to other sites and continue on with little pressure and exposure.

Now I realize that the new BOI in and of itself would not necessarily stop this "bulldogism", but it just seems like maybe the personality of those guys is what made them "bulldogs", and that personality clashes with the new BOI, and I'm not just talking about one that got banned, I can think of at least a half dozen off the top of my head who haven't been around. Maybe, personally I'm just putting too big a scope of what I see as what the BOI could be. It's probably not the "responsibility" of the BOI to help save other people at all the other sites.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #166
bcfos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I'm a member of the HELL forum. If that fact lowers someone's opinion of me, well, that's their prerogative of course. I myself try not to base my opinion of another on what online forums they subscribe to, rather on their honestly, kindness and integrity.

Some posts in HELL are funny and entertaining, some are asinine, and some are just plain boring. Sort of the way it is in every forum here on Fauna!

As far as the rule enforcement topic goes, it's not hard to be civil and polite while still having a debate or discussion with another(s). I've been a member of this site for a few years, and have made quite a few posts, which I managed to do without earning a single warning point. I'm not special by any means, I just see no real point in name calling and etc. Well, except in HELL of course, hehee! ;-p

Kelli sweetheart.. I think very highly of you. And I think your business transaction history pretty much puts anyone who doubts your integrity to rest.

And honestly as long as things which go on in hell are kept there I don't see any issues that hold any merit which may effect the general board. If I am correct you have to buy a membership to even view it so if someone is so against it don't pony up and pay to view it. You know the old saying "Out of sight out of mind"? Well that applies to hell.

And you know the changes Rich made have made a big impact on the site due to the fact I haven't called one single person a name since my return.

Honestly it made it a bit more fun due to the fact you have to actually think before you post. Plus seeing people who you know do not like each other not calling each other names when you know if the rule wasn't there they would do just that has a bit of twisted humor in it also.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #167
WebSlave
John,

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but the problem I had was that the "bulldogs" sometimes acted rabid. They went after everyone and anyone who happened to disagree with their opinion and then chased them all over this site to hound then in every way possible, over things completely unrelated to the original issue. Then when someone else would pipe up, they too would get the dogs unleashed on them. Potentially new poster everywhere on this site were fearful of the attention of the "bulldogs" and as such would lurk in safety rather then stick their toes in the water by posting and give the dogs their scent.

I saw countess examples of someone being ripped into by someone, and then this bulldog getting "attaboy" karma points from other bulldogs. Then one of the others would do the same thing, and the others would reciprocate. Over and over again, round and round it went. It was a game with them. But a damaging one that I needed to put to sleep or find this site in the doghouse.

I didn't care about anyone's bulldog "personality". What I cared about is their bulldog "presence". People were afraid to walk into his yard with them prowling about. No one was really safe from being turned on by them for the slightest of reasons. If being a bulldog means you cannot have the self control and wits about you to now who and when to bite, then I guess I have to accept the loss of bulldogs around here to make the gains I am striving for.

But honestly, why would even a bulldog be muzzled by the simple requests to keep the barking civil? Paraphrasing a popular phrase, they could quite simply "Bark softly, but carry a big bite." Posting damning facts and evidence certainly does not requite a heaping helping of antagonism and derogatory name calling, does it? So what's the beef? Just angry because I took away the doggie chew toys they used to have here in being able to take a bite out of other members at will?

Well, I made my choices, and they made theirs.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #168
Chameleon Company
Brian,
I think I laughed for two minutes at your observations as noted in the last paragraph of your post ! Twisted... Yes ! But funny too !

Old 02-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #169
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
John,

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but the problem I had was that the "bulldogs" sometimes acted rabid. They went after everyone and anyone who happened to disagree with their opinion and then chased them all over this site to hound then in every way possible, over things completely unrelated to the original issue. Then when someone else would pipe up, they too would get the dogs unleashed on them. Potentially new poster everywhere on this site were fearful of the attention of the "bulldogs" and as such would lurk in safety rather then stick their toes in the water by posting and give the dogs their scent.

I saw countess examples of someone being ripped into by someone, and then this bulldog getting "attaboy" karma points from other bulldogs. Then one of the others would do the same thing, and the others would reciprocate. Over and over again, round and round it went. It was a game with them. But a damaging one that I needed to put to sleep or find this site in the doghouse.

I didn't care about anyone's bulldog "personality". What I cared about is their bulldog "presence". People were afraid to walk into his yard with them prowling about. No one was really safe from being turned on by them for the slightest of reasons. If being a bulldog means you cannot have the self control and wits about you to now who and when to bite, then I guess I have to accept the loss of bulldogs around here to make the gains I am striving for.

But honestly, why would even a bulldog be muzzled by the simple requests to keep the barking civil? Paraphrasing a popular phrase, they could quite simply "Bark softly, but carry a big bite." Posting damning facts and evidence certainly does not requite a heaping helping of antagonism and derogatory name calling, does it? So what's the beef? Just angry because I took away the doggie chew toys they used to have here in being able to take a bite out of other members at will?

Well, I made my choices, and they made theirs.
I also understand what you are saying. I also agree with you that in principle the new rules should not have muzzled them, that's why I previously said that their "bulldogedness" and tenacity must have been due to traits or personality that ultimately clashed with the "restaints". I guess the big worry I have is that "we" need to find a middle between "regular members were to afraid to post" and "having a place so timid, that even bad guys will not be afraid to post or care if they are outed".
As for one of my other issues, I'm realizing that "we" can't be expected to save all the other herpers, at all the other sites, which was one of the reasons I liked the bulldogs "search and destroy" stuff. That was just a personal expectation, that I think was a bit much.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:53 AM   #170
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
Well, I've said my piece in a number of the older related threads, so other than voting in this one, I've stayed out of this thread, and any of the newer related ones, but thought maybe I could voice a little more on that statement. I agree with the credibility, and respectability issues, the effectiveness is the one I'm "worried" about. Being credible and respectable, will I think cause the effectiveness of the BOI to get better, in that it will help in those situations where a "mistake" has been made by an otherwise good guy, or a bad guy on the "brink", and they will rectify the mistake because they have decided to stay in the good graces of the BOI.

What I am worried about is the "bigger picture", that is the outright scammers, real thieves, and real bad guys. Now in a way, the BOI is not effective with these types anyway, because for the most part they don't care. Where I think the "old" BOI was effective, was we had quite a few "bulldogs" who were very tenacious with these type of people, so that even though they were basically saying "up yours" to the BOI, they were still feeling a lot of heat. These bulldogs always kept a look out all over the web, every time they (bad guys) popped up on another site with ads, or different forums with different alias', or whatever, they would be re-exposed, or would just get tired of being hounded. I think that is what we are going to lose with the "new" BOI. I'm already seeing more threads that have only 4 or 5 responses, something like; Here's how I got scammed......then a couple people saying..."Sorry you got scammed, thanks for letting us know about it" and the thread dissapears in 2 days. If the bulldogs where still here they would have searched these people down, and exposed everything about them. Then rather than just a "sorry it happened" post dissapearing, we would either have a resolution, or have "massively" exposed these people. In other instances lately, I've seen a couple threads where there was enough activity and pressure, to truly expose a scammer, but now it seems easier for them to head off to other sites and continue on with little pressure and exposure.

Now I realize that the new BOI in and of itself would not necessarily stop this "bulldogism", but it just seems like maybe the personality of those guys is what made them "bulldogs", and that personality clashes with the new BOI, and I'm not just talking about one that got banned, I can think of at least a half dozen off the top of my head who haven't been around. Maybe, personally I'm just putting too big a scope of what I see as what the BOI could be. It's probably not the "responsibility" of the BOI to help save other people at all the other sites.
John in effort is still being made, just a little more polished on top. I know myself and others have put a lot of time into keeping track on some of the worst out there but we do have other responsibilities as well. Just today some of the members here have posted information about a “less than honest” person resurfacing on another forum. They are making an effort. Get back on the BOI and help out. You’re input would be helpful and needed!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!