Hey im new here and have a question - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #11
Hurricane
Wow, youve got some beautiful snakes.

Old 09-11-2004, 09:41 PM   #12
DThomas
Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
Lol, how big are their pieces of poop anyways? huge im guessing?
Comparable to my two Siberian Huskeys..lol

Old 09-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #13
Hurricane
Lol, you know of any good caresheets you could direct me to for a BCI? ive taken care of snakes before but would like to know of there specific needs.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #14
DThomas
I sure don't. I got most of my information from different places all over the net. This is how I keep mine....

4ftx2ftx18inch enclosure for adults.
Cool side 80f
Hot spot of 90f. I provide this using Flex Watt heat tape. I do not use over head heat. It's hard enough to keep humidity up in the desert and over head heat makes it impossible.
Large water bowl for soaking and yes they will use it.
Hides on both ends.
Humidty at around 65%.

These are just the basics but if you can get these going, the rest will fall into place. Plus, if you have any problems, people here will be more than willing to help.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:03 PM   #15
Hurricane
Do you use anything like this to keep humidity up?

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptile_...er_299100.html .

or just some sprays with a water bottle?

Old 09-12-2004, 11:19 PM   #16
DThomas
Actually, the really big water tub I use is sufficient to keep the humidity up in my enclosures.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:43 PM   #17
Jillian Tillman
A large water dish/soaking tub on the hot side is usually enough to keep the humidity up. Some people keep a dish of wet sphagnum moss for the snakes to rub and soak in as well, which also helps keep humidity up. As a kid I had assorted small snakes, in addition to every other kind of animal you can think of. I always adored the larger boas, so last year I figured it was time to get one.

I couldn't be happier with my Colombian Red Tail, she's a sweet, tolerant, mild mannered, good eater. With consistent handling I rarely hear of anyone having aggression problems with colombians. As far as a starter boa, they're the way to go. I got my girl from Hermin's Herps, and couldn't be happier. He was extremely helpful and snakey is a healty girl who never refuses her frozen thawed meal.

As others said, they get huge, and they eat huge food, as in rabbits. Theres always the chance that they wont eat the frozen/thawed, and you might have to feed prekilled or even live. You ready to throw a sweet, live bunny into an enclosure, or kill it yourself then throw it in? Poop is usually about the size of what goes on, a little smaller. Pick up a couple of books, they aren't always right on, but read enough and you will get the general idea. I found "The Boa Constrictor Manual" from The Herpetocultural Library quite helpful and a good single source for an overview. You can pick one up at any local Petco.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!