showin' off a couple of albinos - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2004, 12:41 PM   #11
Golden Gate Geckos
Paul...

The female was a rescue, believe it or not! The woman that had her couldn't get her to eat, and obviously had no idea what she had! Well, she's 18 months old now, weighs 64 grams, and has laid 3 clutches so far from being in another TA breeding group. I removed her so she could purge any remaining sperm from that male before introducing her to this male, who is only 7 months old and still in quarantine. I should have clutches from this pair in mid-late summer and fall!

Old 04-21-2004, 01:16 PM   #12
Snakebyt
i would love to get some babies from that female, would go great with my project for next year. If i ever have some hatchlings maybe we can do some trading or somthing

Old 04-21-2004, 04:13 PM   #13
diablohogs
Question sperm purging?

Quote:
I removed her so she could purge any remaining sperm from that male before introducing her to this male
wow i was unawre that females did this. are you saying by introducing a new male to a female the female will actually purge out the previous sperm so she can use the sperm from the next mating? this question came up a while ago (the question of weather or not introducing a male to a already gravid female would result in the female using the sperm from the most recent mating) and i dont remember anyone mentioning sperm purging. can you explain this process in further detail?

Old 04-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #14
Golden Gate Geckos
ummm..

Sorry! I made it sound ambiguous, like it was an 'actual' process... it isn't. What I should have said was, that I pulled her out so she would lay all of the eggs from breeding with the previous male. It has been my experience that females will continue to lay 2-4 clutches from the last breeding, and as soon as the eggs either stop coming or are infertile, I will put her with the new male.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:30 PM   #15
Snakebyt
i have used 2 males in the same season and the female took the newest sperm. Not sure if it is foolproof, but i have done it before.. better to be safe than sorry though

Old 04-21-2004, 07:07 PM   #16
Golden Gate Geckos
just a hunch...

Quote:
i have used 2 males in the same season and the female took the newest sperm.
I think you may be right! I have had the same hunch for awhile, although can't prove it, either. I just want to make absolutely sure who the father is with this particular pairing.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:03 PM   #17
KelliH
Those are beautiful geckos Marcia. The almost "glow"! Very nice.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:44 PM   #18
Sarah H
Wow, very nice!
You guys are making me want some trempers.
must resist urge.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!