How do you know if its a scam? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlaze View Post
Does anyone have any experience with shipping from overseas or can anyone recommend someone to me? Thanks
Why do you want to buy from overseas? Unless you're hoping to bring in the next big thing, you can find it here....and with a lot less hassle.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
SilverBlaze
YA but not with the same cost

Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlaze View Post
YA but not with the same cost
ok, so if you are really set on trying this (there's a ton of great advice already given).. then ask the person for references and check those references. if those are people you've never heard of, ask them for references. Do a search for their name and email address here on fauna BOI and on google.

I would highly advise against doing any business with dealers from Cameroon as they are most likely scams. They'll typically ask for funds western union or ask for additional transport fees once the snake 'is in transit' (hint - nothing is in transit) in order to get it released to your location. Another warning sign is if you are asked to pay someone other than the person you are dealing with.

as fuzzylogix said - if it sounds too good to be true (ie, the price) then it probably is. Plus keep in mind, cheap WC snakes can quickly turn into expensive vet nightmares.

here's some links about the well known 'cameroon reptile scams' not including the multiple threads on the BOI (there was a recent one this week)

http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/...ad.php?t=12606
http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/...ead.php?t=2458

There's a lot to be gained with starting out in the reptile hobby/business with quality captive bred stock from reputable people.

good luck whatever you decide to do.

-April

Old 01-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
SilverBlaze
I want to thank everybody for there input and help on this thread. I have made my decision on what to do now so I hope I don't regret it later.
PS: I think a lot of your will be happy with my decision!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 AM   #15
scorpy
I was just reading this BOI thread the other day and I think it's relevant to your inquiry.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=224307

Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #16
SirenSanJose
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy View Post
I was just reading this BOI thread the other day and I think it's relevant to your inquiry.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=224307
Yup. If the seller you're looking at goes by "Lisa Parks", "Christian Cheo", or "Cheo Christian", it's 110% a scam. This guy(s?) are hitting a lot of reptile buyers lately. They were hours, if not minutes, away from vanishing with my cash. lisaparks88@hotmail.com and cheochristian@aol.com are involved email addresses; usernames "reyes" and "bill1988" are also this same group.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #17
Foschi Exotic Serpents
As much as everyone is trying to be helpful, the simple truth is, it's a scam. You will lose your money as well as tarnish your reputation in the reptile community. Your threads make it obvious that you want to breed something "cool" but not much more than $100 and a morph? You want to buy lord knows what from an African scammer. Etc etc.

If you wish to breed that's fine.. If you ever wish to sell your animals and make a name for yourself.. You're going about it the wrong way..

Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
Focal
Quote:
How do you know if its a scam?
Because of the word Africa, lol. I wouldn't send a penny to anyone in Africa.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
SilverBlaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
As much as everyone is trying to be helpful, the simple truth is, it's a scam. You will lose your money as well as tarnish your reputation in the reptile community. Your threads make it obvious that you want to breed something "cool" but not much more than $100 and a morph? You want to buy lord knows what from an African scammer. Etc etc.

If you wish to breed that's fine.. If you ever wish to sell your animals and make a name for yourself.. You're going about it the wrong way..

I get what your saying. I have this tendency to get locked on when I have this idea in my head. I have a yellow-belly and a pastel that were my first breeding pair and I've had them for 2 years. It's not that I'm looking for a cool and cheap morph, cause I know that's not gonna happen. It's just that I'm looking looking for a good deal. Oh and the dude from Africa was offering 2 Albinos from Africa for $400. And when you think that most albinos go for about $500 I was like ya I could save money there.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
Shadera
Giving money to someone who has no intention to send you anything in return is not an efficient way to save a few bucks.

There's a reason these guys are still around. It's apparently a lucrative career.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!