New Ball Python - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-15-2003, 09:17 PM   #11
CornCrazy
No problem...

I am always happy to get more suggestions.

It's good to know that it is not uncommon for them to go a month without having a BM. I won't worry so much next time. Is it always the consistency of dog poop, though? I am used to the more liquid poops of my colubrids, so I was QUITE surprised by what came out of my BP today!

Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2003, 08:16 AM   #12
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, when she gets back to her "ideal" weight, what size rat should I feed her? I'm not used to feeding a snake quite as big as her. I only had colubrids until I got her and they do good to eat the jumbo mice.
For my full adult balls, around 2000g, I usually feed 100-150g rats. The size varies a bit, but I normally use what Rodent Pro labels "small rats".
If I were using jumbo mice, I would feed 2-3 mice per feeding to a large ball.

Old 07-16-2003, 05:43 PM   #13
CornCrazy
Thanks...I ordered some small rats from RodentPro. They should arrive tomorrow. I have been feeding her two micee per feeding these last couple of times. She seems to always be hungry!

Anyway, I thought you would all like to know that I took her stool sample with me to the clinic today to run a fecal. It turns out my poor BP has pinworms (Oxyurid)! I wasn't sure about her weight, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to treat her. I just weighed her and she only weighs 1600 grams even though she is an adult. I wish I had weighed her when I first got her...or maybe I don't really want to know how skinny she was then!

Anyway, hopefully she will put weight on better once I get rid of the pinworms! By the way, I posted a picture of a pinworm egg just in case anyone is interested in seeing what one looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp pinworm egg.bmp (185.6 KB, 44 views)

Old 08-30-2003, 09:04 PM   #14
CornCrazy
Update...

Well, I've had this girl since June 14th so I thought I'd post an update on her. She is doing great...eating and gaining weight. She still isn't in perfect condition, but I am pleased with her progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyrano8 30 03.jpg (103.6 KB, 91 views)

Old 08-30-2003, 09:07 PM   #15
CornCrazy
And here is a really neat close-up head shot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyrano in water 8 30 03.jpg (61.2 KB, 89 views)

Old 08-31-2003, 10:30 AM   #16
Clay Davenport
Looks like she's coming along nicely. You should have her back to optimal health in no time.

Old 08-31-2003, 11:33 PM   #17
jega
A healthy adult ball python can eat small rabbits. I usually go by weight. I feed around 1/5 of the snakes body weight. My baby bp is at 216 grams so she is getting one small rat every 5 days. You'll be able to tell when it's not enough. A lot of times if the prey is too small they will take it tail first. At least that's how it's happened with me and many others in the past. Good luck with her and glad things are going well.

Old 08-31-2003, 11:35 PM   #18
jega
sorry bout that doofus post. I'll learn to use the forums correctly one day.

Old 09-01-2003, 06:46 AM   #19
CornCrazy
WOW...I never thought that even an adult BP could eat rabbits. When you say small rabbits, exactly how small are you talking about. I fed her an adult rat for her last feeding, and it seemed plenty big enough for her.

I have been feeding her 2 small rats, but happened to have the one large one, so I decided to try giving it to her.

I never intended to get a BP, but couldn't stand to let her suffer anymore at the hands of her previous owner. I am probably going to adopt her out or sell her after she is back in good shape. I really don't have room for her.

Old 09-25-2003, 03:37 PM   #20
MR_Jungle_Mist
rabbits..?..

I've never had to feed any adult bp a rabbit before...they've done just fine on rats. (not quite sure what the point would be, either, unless you get them cheaper than rats for the same size) But really, CC, it all depends on the size of your bp. Don't try to start feeding it pigmy goats just because someone does. Stick with what is best for the size of your ball currently.

Sounds like you've come a long way with her since June so you must be doing just fine. Good luck with her continuing good health and growth!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!