fed ex only delivers to businesses??? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
richardduckworth
just for the record, some WILL ask for a tax ID (they're actually supposed to)

again though, just a technicality but it's not outside the realm of possibility for them to cancel the account if you make up a business name.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #12
ed hummel
thanks again guys.

and richard, just to make sure, im not trying to ship so dont have an account per say, but just will be receiving, and im guessing what your saying only pertains to the shipper, or might they ask me for some kind of business records at my front door?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #13
KathyLove
You should be aware that if you EVER had a package left at your door by FedEx. they will forever more assume they have a signature waiver to dump it at the door without even knocking, so they can save time on deliveries, even if the shipper pays for signature required service. Most shippers (including me) only guarantee live arrival if the package is signed for. I really discourage home delivery because of this "drop and run" policy and also because, if there is going to be a mistake made, it is most likely the driver trying to find the house, or the delivery truck that is too hot or cold. It is so much safer to pick up at the FedEx office if that is possible. You can find the location and hours online at FedEx.com.

If you must take home delivery, try a BIG sign on your front door, sit outside on the porch, or do your best to catch them before they leave the package sitting in the sun.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:09 AM   #14
ed hummel
thanks kathy. i think i should be good, since i always hear them (sqeaky outside door) when a package comes, and its an apt building so he would be in the foyer at worst, not out in sun, and that is an excellent idea on the note on the door.

if i were to ask them to hold it at the hub, i guess i would request that from the seller, or would i have to talk to fed ex myself directly? im almost more afraid to ask them to hold it and then not be able to find it when i get there then having them bring it to my door. i guess asking the shipper to put my phone number on there if the driver did have a problem wouldnt be any good?

Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 AM   #15
KathyLove
The shipper fills out all of that info before shipping. Your phone # is required, but don't hold your breath waiting for FedEx to call you. Your shipper should send you a tracking # the night he ships. You can go to FedEx.com and track the shipment the next morning to make sure it arrived. Be sure to take the tracking # with you to FedEx or they can't find the package.

When I fill out my online FedEx airbill, I ONLY give FedEx the customer's name with the FedEx address instead of the customer address (if it is to be held at the FedEx office). That way, FedEx has no place to deliver to except their own office. FedEx is better than DHL about not making stupid mistakes, but they are a big company and I have had them take "hold at FedEx" shipments to try to deliver them, prior to me not giving them the customer's address.

There are a lot of little tricks to getting the best out of each of the shipping companies. If your shipper is new to FedEx, he might not know some of their little idiosyncrasies YET. He may need to ask if not sure.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #16
shrap
Personally, when I know I have a delivery coming in I set my alarm for 8 AM and I have my Fed-Ex radar set on high alert. I have the front door open, windows open in the front part of the house and keep the noise level down in the house. 95% of the time I hear the truck and am on the porch waiting before he is even out of the truck. Only a time or two has the man made it back as far as the sidewalk after dropping a package on my porch.

One other thing that truly helps, get to know your Fed-Ex driver/s as best you can. Keep in mind they are very busy and dont want to chit chat for 5 minutes. Talk time is literally going to consist of the time they are walking to and from their truck. Use that little time as best you can to build a good rapport with your driver/s. Most drivers are good folks and will work with you if you take the time to build a good relationship with them.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 AM   #17
KathyLove
Great advice!

If you have to take home delivery, all of those preparations should help.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #18
ed hummel
again, thanks for all your imput and quick responses guys.

now.....
IS IT NEXT TUESDAY YET

Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #19
ed hummel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed hummel
again, thanks for all your imput and quick responses guys.

now.....
IS IT NEXT TUESDAY YET
well, it took forever, but my seller finally was able to ship my snakes, but i had to pick them up at the hub. didnt matter if i said i ran a business from my residence or not, i still dont live in a commercial zone so they wouldnt deliver.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #20
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed hummel
well, it took forever, but my seller finally was able to ship my snakes, but i had to pick them up at the hub. didnt matter if i said i ran a business from my residence or not, i still dont live in a commercial zone so they wouldnt deliver.
How odd , I live where the buses don't run and still get Fed Ex deliveries. There are a few businesses spread over the county on little back roads here that get Fed Ex delivery too. Even the route driver is waiting for babies to drop so I can start shipping. Reckon I should color myself lucky.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!