Venomous classifieds - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
WebSlave
As far as I am aware, it is not illegal for such ads to be posted here. As far as I am aware, it is not illegal for management of this site to NOT point out any illegality involved in any transaction that two parties consider engaging in. As far as I am aware, it is not illegal for us to choose to NOT get involved in other people's legal issues.

We hope for, and expect by default, that everyone will do their own research concerning the legality and avisability of who they buy from and sell to, and what it is they are buying and selling. We are NOT anyone's safety net for the business transactions they choose to engage in. To do otherwise exposes US to legal liability that I just flatly refuse to take on as a responsibility.

Quite frankly, if the issues keep arising with off topic replies within classified ads, I will simply shut down that capability completely to rid myself and the moderators of that headache.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole View Post
And for trying to help with this situation, I received an infraction. Sigh...

So much for governing our own.

All 3 responses to http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=229423 came from States that severely regulate keeping venomous and are very difficult to be permitted in.

An easy solution would be for the responder to STATE they are permitted and can provide a permit number to the seller.

I'm not saying these people ARE NOT permitted but do to the high profile of these states and their regulations, they need to be upfront that they are permitted.

Also, just as an aside, why should a responder have to affirm their status (licensed/permitted/whatever) to anybody that isn't selling to, or buying from them?
It's just like when I mention having American Alligators, Texas Tortoises, and Alligator Snappers. All of these are severely regulated in Texas so I make an effort to mention I have a "Zoological Permit" with the State that allows me to have them.

Otherwise it APPEARS that illegal sales and transaction are not discouraged on this site.

Any other ideas?
Tim, you got the infraction for continuing after I stepped in.
I appreciate the point you made, AND why you made it. I don't really even have a big problem with you posting your initial comment in the ad.....BUT, that comment resulted in two other off topic posts, in direct response to yours. Since I was addressing those members, I felt it appropriate to also address the person that "started it"...the one that made the post to which they were responding.

This same topic arises in other areas of the classifieds as well...I understand that venomous regulations and restrictions are near and dear to you, but I don't view them as any more of an issue than those regarding large constrictors, monitor lizards, or even ball pythons.

As a side note, why should a respondant have to declare their (permit/license) status to anybody other than the person buying or selling?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
hhmoore
As long as I'm here, how would such a thing be enforced? There are counties, cities, and towns that have more stringent requirements than their respective States, and it simply isn't reasonable to expect a handful of people to effectively police that. Heck, I live in NY, and won't claim to know the legalities in all parts of the state.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
ApexJake
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Quite frankly, if the issues keep arising with off topic replies within classified ads, I will simply shut down that capability completely to rid myself and the moderators of that headache.
Shut down the capability for what exactly?

Its a catch 22 of individual responsibility vs general negative influence. I understand and worry from both sides.

Maybe a craigslist style of classified posting could be used, with all replies sent directly to the OP and an ebay style option for public viewing of approved comments/questions? Thats an off the top of my head solution addressing off topic posts and abusive ad bumping.

In the past I do recall hhmoore contacting me via PM with his concerns and questions about legalities, and I commend him for going about it in a polite manor. IMHO More should follow suite rather than post presumptive comments.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #15
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexJake View Post
Shut down the capability for what exactly?
ANY replies to classified ads........ That will end the headaches we are getting from bumping ads and off topic flame fests erupting within classified threads.

If those headaches remain burdensome for staff here, then it will be prudent for me to end them in the most efficient way possible.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
ApexJake
Quote:
ANY replies to classified ads........ That will end the headaches we are getting from bumping ads and off topic flame fests erupting within classified threads.

If those headaches remain burdensome for staff here, then it will be prudent for me to end them in the most efficient way possible.
Agreed. Just like craigslist, but some capability of showing answered questions would be helpful to the purpose of a classified add.

Burdensome for the OP and those interested in the ad as well...

Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
WebSlave
Quote:
Agreed. Just like craigslist, but some capability of showing answered questions would be helpful to the purpose of a classified add.

Burdensome for the OP and those interested in the ad as well...
It is not very likely that I will be inclined to put a lot of custom coding into this effort. It will be very simple and cut and dried. The ability to reply to classified ads directly within the thread will cease. All correspondence between buyer and seller will have to take place via PM, email, or other avenues provided by the person placing the ad.

Of course, if history around here is any guide, I will get inundated with emails from members asking "Why can't I reply to any of the ads?"

I gave everyone the ability to choose themselves whether or not they wanted replies to their ads. At that time I felt that was best rather than me making the decision globally for everyone. But if that isn't working out, then I really have no other choice in the matter.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #18
ApexJake
Quote:
It is not very likely that I will be inclined to put a lot of custom coding into this effort. It will be very simple and cut and dried. The ability to reply to classified ads directly within the thread will cease. All correspondence between buyer and seller will have to take place via PM, email, or other avenues provided by the person placing the ad.
Thats understandable. Is there an easy way to allow only the OP to post replies on his/her own ad to address what could be a dozen of PMs all asking the same typical question?
I imagine answering the same question too many times would get annoying. I dont see people simply being concise with the details in a basic ad.. craigslists is a good example of just that.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
scaledverts
Quote:
Thats understandable. Is there an easy way to allow only the OP to post replies on his/her own ad to address what could be a dozen of PMs all asking the same typical question?
I imagine answering the same question too many times would get annoying. I dont see people simply being concise with the details in a basic ad.. craigslists is a good example of just that.
The OP could just modify the original add with details that address the questions being asked. Editing the add does not result in a bump of the add and is permitted as much as you would like (as far as I know).

Old 03-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #20
Tim Cole
An easy solution (in my eyes) that doesn't involve Webslave and Mods...

It's all perception.

If you are responding to an ad for a species that requires a permit, state you have the required permit. This shows responsibility for both parties involved.

Acknowledging that permits are required goes a long way to showing that we know the laws and are within compliance.

I'm permitted to keep anything in Texas including Threatened and Endangered Species so I am not worried about myself. But I am constantly leading the charge to keep herper rights from being squashed by stupid and uneducated laws and restrictions.

I've been keeping herps for over 45 years and moved from Illinois to Texas to continue my passion of keeping venomous snakes responsibly. In the early 70's I wrote the State of Illinois asking about the availability of permits to keep venomous snakes. The response I got was a xerox copy of the fines that would be levied against me if I was found to have them. Nothing mentioned of available permits.

Most of you have seen the states that are dominoeing to stricter laws and regs due to one or two incidents involving an exotic species.

I for one, would like to see this stop and am only asking for people to be more perceptively responsible and quit adding fuel and fodder to the forces (HSUS, PETA, Uneducated Politicians, etc) that are against us.

I'm sorry if I was presumptuous in the post that started this but there has a been quite a few postings lately that prompted my response. Obviously I am not the only one, since I was not even the OP for this thread.

I don't blame Rich for not wanting to deal with this and it wasn't my intention for him or the Mods to do so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!