Snake Owners, Feeding Methods - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: Feeding Methods
Live 15 40.54%
Frozen Thawed 29 78.38%
Stunned 2 5.41%
Prekilled 8 21.62%
Other 2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #11
Cat_72
Alicia...I'm pretty sure Michael was joking.

I feed a variety of just about everything, depending on the snake I'm feeding.

One of my friends from work called me one morning, it was a terribly foggy day, and I was working late...he had driven by my place on the way home, and hit one of my young turkeys (the dumb bird was standing in the middle of the road). He felt terrible, but said he stopped and put him up into the yard in case I wanted him.....we had fresh turkey dinner that night, lol. Other than that, I tend to shy away from eating roadkill.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Alicia...I'm pretty sure Michael was joking.

I feed a variety of just about everything, depending on the snake I'm feeding.

One of my friends from work called me one morning, it was a terribly foggy day, and I was working late...he had driven by my place on the way home, and hit one of my young turkeys (the dumb bird was standing in the middle of the road). He felt terrible, but said he stopped and put him up into the yard in case I wanted him.....we had fresh turkey dinner that night, lol. Other than that, I tend to shy away from eating roadkill.

LOL I think youre right!!!!

I wouldnt have been too surprised though, and honestly thinking back i think i might have heard of it before, Along with cats and.. well just about everything else save for human babies i think...

So i figured i might ask!!! Better safe than sorry!

Turkey dinner though, roadkill or not, i bet it was delicious! hahaha Now im hungry.......

Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Turkey dinner though, roadkill or not, i bet it was delicious! hahaha Now im hungry.......
Sorry, lol. But well...it WAS delicious.

And thinking back, I do believe you're right, I think there was a discussion on here some time ago where someone said that they did feed some of their big burms or retics or something roadkill....

Old 03-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Junkyard
I was joking about the roadkill, but I seriously have used the snake sausages before the stuff was what i needed at he time.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
The BoidSmith
A friend of mine used to feed roadkill snakes to a snake that wouldn't feed on anything else. He refused to feed his snake live snakes or lizards (he didn't feel good about it). So what he used to do was to freeze the roadkill for a few days to kill internal parasites (regardless of if he was going to feed them them right away), then thaw and feed. It worked for him and never had a problem.

Regards

Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #16
rabernet
I keep ball pythons, breed my own rats, and have never fed anything but live. In over 3000 live prey being fed off, I've never had an issue, but I also don't feed larger than what I call small/small rats (4-5 week old rats) and feed 2 a week to my largest females, and still have healthy growth on them.

For my collection, smaller weekly meals have resulted in steady growth, with no winter fasts.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
The BoidSmith
One thing to remember is that baby and juvenile rodents have less total nutrients/energy content on an equal fresh weight basis than adults. This is due to the fact that young animals have more water and less fat in their body than adult animals. A similar weight of adult mice will thus have more dry matter (and thus nutrients) than a similar weight of baby rats. Fat deposition in mammals occur as they mature (except for the brown fat in neonates, which is of little nutritional significance).

Regards.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
kmurphy
Quote:
Fat deposition in mammals occur as they mature
I lot of us can attest to that Dan.

The problem is that it takes so long to grow mice up to the size of a pup rat.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #19
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
I lot of us can attest to that Dan.

The problem is that it takes so long to grow mice up to the size of a pup rat.
You know Kevin...I was about to mention that

Regards

Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 AM   #20
heathn
Well, I don't have much money. You know those ads in the newspaper classifieds? You know, 'free to good home' ads? Well, like I said, I don't have much money.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!