Finding the right snake.... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
jglass38
One word...Hog Island Boa! (ok I know that was 3). Gorgeous, easy to care for, inquisitive and awesome feeders. Relatively small size too.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:54 AM   #12
sircat
I have corns, sinaloan milks, ball pythons....then some lizards, breed cresteds...

I would ask your gf if she sees something she likes...
my sister isn't crazy about holding corns since they like to move a lot...she likes holding the ball pythons b/c they just sit there most of the time and move much more slowly
boas are the same idea...I don't know much about rosies but think they're pretty handleable...and then the bigger boas and such are usually quite nice and placid...
some snakes of course are more jittery and nippy than others...just keep asking questions

Old 04-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #13
hill4803
Mike, get a snake book or some old issues of reptiles magazine and let her look through them for something she likes. Then do a little research on some of her top choices to check out the temperments. Make sure to get one from a good breeder...shows are great places to get info and a good look at what is out there.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #14
Bringerofdoom
Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I think she is going to probably like corns more. I took her to some sites and she seen some morphs that she liked. Mainly sunglows, but anything with orange in it she likes. Which if this one site has some still by the time we have read about them and got the stuff we need, then i will definatly get some corns.

I am going to assume some morphs are meaner than others right? If so, name some of the morphs that are more agressive than others.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
DAND
Sunglows are the meanest.....LOL. A morph, is a morph, is a morph. The morph doesn't determine if it will be mean/aggressive or not.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #16
jglass38
What is the general temperment of corns? I dont have any (and no urge to get any) but I have a Sinaloan Milk and it shows no agression ever. Just curious

Old 04-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #17
DAND
Corns are rather mellow. Sometimes you can get one with an attitude but for the most part they are easy going.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:23 PM   #18
Scarlett_Fawn
Wow, I totally wouldn't advise getting a tree boa if you want something that will probably be tame... or be easy for a newby.

One of the calmest snakes I have ever handled has been my Brazillian rainbow boa, but I hear that their temperaments can vary a lot between individuals. I thought she would be a little more of a challenge to care for than I was used to, but she has done great in a 20g aquarium with a screen lid (covered 2/3 with some plastic,) always-damp bed-a-beast, hiding spot, XL water dish and undertank heater and an appropriately sized rodent or two once a week for a year now. Never missed a meal; never had an imperfect shed (even after her bout with mites.) They are super powerful constrictors though and cling VERY tightly.

I personally have found colubrids less calming and less calm than boas or ball pythons... especially colubrid hatchlings. Ball pythons and boas also have a nice, slow, relaxed way of moving, unlike the quicker, more "jerky" motion many or most traditional beginner colubrids have (corns, kings, milks, garters, house snakes... though they are usually quite calm as adults.) BP's also have a nice soft look and shape with beady little gerbilish eyes.

My mother used to HATE snakes, but she eventually came to the point where she even asked to hold my wee little striped house snake and called him cute! A little snake that looks obviously harmless and has a very "babyish" look and relaxing color like my male house snake may get your foot in the door. (Even though he was a little jittery at first.)

Have you considered rosey boas too? Small, slower moving, easy to care for, doesn't constrict very tight when held... softly colored... nice and soft to the touch... Not very scarey or threatening.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!