Snake caught in fence - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:44 AM   #11
Matt Haines
That's a big snake!! I would not want to take a hit from that.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:43 AM   #12
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfExotics
Looks as if the snake was posed in that position. Look closely at both photos....
I was thinking the same but I don't see any signs foot prints or where they could have been but removed.

But, you'd think that it would have been shocked long before getting as far into the fencing as it did.

I guess we'll never know.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:47 AM   #13
Karen Hulvey
What are you guys seeing that makes you think it was a posed picture?

I can see where it looks like the snake fought to get loose. Llook by the tail end and you can see the markings in the dirt. Also in the dirt on the other side of the head you can see where it looks like the snake touched the ground there and then turned back.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:04 AM   #14
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
What are you guys seeing that makes you think it was a posed picture?

I can see where it looks like the snake fought to get loose. Llook by the tail end and you can see the markings in the dirt. Also in the dirt on the other side of the head you can see where it looks like the snake touched the ground there and then turned back.
It would have been getting zapped as it touched the first set of wires. All of the big pythons I've had will recoil back if lightly tapped on the nose. I just don't see this thing getting zapped and continuing forward, getting zapped still/again/more and continuing forward.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #15
Casey Hulse
I have

been shocked by plenty of D.C. electric fences, i would bet this fence is A.C. and the snake died very quickly. The Rock would probably have spasms for a while after getting zapped, thus the marks in the sand. I think she would have trashed that fence at least a little, had she lived very very long.
What a shame, but I do not think large pythons are highly regarded in Africa, so she is lucky to have grown that large.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #16
Casey Hulse
Does anyone have a fence post like that? Looks like 1/2-5/8" rebar. What would you guess her mouth opening is? Gotta be at least 8-10".

Old 07-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #17
InFocus
I don't know for sure but I don't think the snake was posed. I've got the original photos in an email and when you enlarge them you can see bruising on the lower jaw from the wire. If anyone would like a copy let me know. Also with an electric fence of that size I'm not sure how long between charges. If the snake got far enough through before being hit it might have just speed-ed him up a bit until he had had enough and tried to defend himself.

The posts are drive in fence post. The notches are approximately 3/4" apart. That would make the space between the wires at his mouth approximately 7-1/2" so his mouth looks to be about 12" from lip to lip.

As far as the pictures, I got them form a friend of mine who knows I'm into reptiles. He knows someone that is working there for an equipment refit for 3 months that sent them to him.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:27 AM   #18
HortonRidgeHerps
Theres a couple more pictures here: http://www.bushveld.co.za/pictures-python.htm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!