Thought you could just write in ANYONE on your ballot? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teatime View Post
No, you can vote for anyone... but if they published a tally of every single write-in candidate the counting process would take forever because someone would have to physically read/record each one. The process is automated, they just get the totals.

You can only REALLY vote for anyone who has run the campaign race and won their spot as a party candidate. That opportunity is open to a wide variety of people if they have the money/popularity to put themselves out there. People may argue that the game is fixed, but I think it basically works (for people who have money/influence).
Unless someone does actually read the ballots, then how do they know that the write-in vote was for someone "qualified" to be a write-in candidate or not?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Teatime
Some places do it. Your district might not have had the resources (paying someone to tally every single non-registered person? There may have been thousands). That's just my guess.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Durante
It's late, but a great speech & the point remain

Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Clay Davenport
It's not actually that the powers that be denied you the ability to write in Ron Paul. What they mean by qualified write in candidate is the candidates listed had met the requirements in the state of Florida to be qualified as a write in candidate.
Apparently Ron Paul's campaign did not seek to become qualified, as there is no denial of qualification if the requirements are met.

Only 43 states allow write in candidates for President, and the requirements vary from state to state.
In some cases there are no requirements and you really can write in anyone.
In North Carolina you must file a Declaration of Intent along with 500 signatures from eligible voters at least 90 days before the election.

I'm not sure what the requirements are in Florida, but in most cases at the least some sort on Declaration form must be filed. If the requirements are met though, and there is no other reason they cannot legally be elected, being under 35 for instance, then they will be a qualified candidate.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
WebSlave
Still, the fact of the matter is that I was denied the right to vote for whoever I wanted to and have it be counted. Sorry, but I have a problem with this concept.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!