Info Ben Siegel Troubles - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
ElexisC
Here's the actual link to the story if anyone wanted to see it.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/R...FlowFB_MIBrand

Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #12
ElexisC
But honestly since he has been arrested so many times for assault now, and now abusing an animal he needs to be locked up, forced meds, and better before even thinking of continuing his business. I also think he shouldn't be around the animals or public till its dealt with. I do believe I saw someone say he stopped taking his meds before that assault a few months ago, but that's hear say at best.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #13
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElexisOrtiz View Post
But honestly since he has been arrested so many times for assault now, and now abusing an animal he needs to be locked up, forced meds, and better before even thinking of continuing his business. I also think he shouldn't be around the animals or public till its dealt with. I do believe I saw someone say he stopped taking his meds before that assault a few months ago, but that's hear say at best.
A few people have said he has gone on and off his meds due to severe fits of paranoia (going back to 2013), but whether or not this is true I cannot say for certain since one of the people saying this is his ex/estranged wife and they are not on the best of terms, to my knowledge.

The mental health care system in this country is largely a joke and Ben is likely going to just be held for a while, fined and released again. I believe the more recent assault charges were dropped by the individual and eventually the state as well (FL reserves the right to be the plaintiff in domestic violence situations). I may be wrong on that, however.

Regardless, as I said before, he desperately needs help and the business needs to either be turned over to someone else, sold or shut down. Ben is exhibiting escalating behavior that is going to lead to a psychosis that is going to end up causing irreparable damage if something is not done.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #14
ElexisC
Agreed. Not to mention the kind of publicity this brings the reptile community.. I feel sorry for people with mental illness or disabilities, I suffer from a couple myself and my son is autistic so it's very stressful for me sometimes but most of us aren't out assaulting people or abusing animals. I know at least in some areas of the person is a danger to themselves or others they can be forcibly committed to a psychiatric facility. Which he is obviously a danger to others and animals. Something needs done before he really hurts someone or himself.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #15
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Agreed. Not to mention the kind of publicity this brings the reptile community.. I feel sorry for people with mental illness or disabilities, I suffer from a couple myself and my son is autistic so it's very stressful for me sometimes but most of us aren't out assaulting people or abusing animals. I know at least in some areas of the person is a danger to themselves or others they can be forcibly committed to a psychiatric facility. Which he is obviously a danger to others and animals. Something needs done before he really hurts someone or himself.
I agree with you. I suspect Ben has more going on than just bi-polar disorder, but there is no telling. I dealt with someone who was improperly medicated and unmedicated with bi-polar disorder for a few years and she was violent. As with most mental illnesses, there are degrees of severity and different triggers that exacerbate the situation.

Running the type of business he does is likely not helping, it is a high stress, fast pace, constant pushing sort of job. Inventory is constantly going in and out. It is definitely not the same as just a breeding facility or hobbyist facility.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #16
ElexisC
While that's true, the person needs to WANT the help. And if the meds aren't working talk to your doctor and get on different ones. They won't always get it right the first time which is why communication between doctor and patient is key. From everything I've seen, I don't know the man personally so this is pure opinion on articles and what people have said, it doesn't seem like he WANTS help, meds, etc. But again that's my personal opinion on what info we have. I wish I had the screen shot someone posted of him going off on a customer for no reason what so ever. Can't remember where it was posted either, an employee who was running the business at that time had to apologize for his behavior. I think it may have been on Brian's post about the last time he was arrested (brian from bhb) if I can find it I'll post it. But I don't know how much good that will do, or if it's allowed since it really isn't about this incident. It really would just go to show character I guess..

Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
rosebud945
Quote:
Agreed. Not to mention the kind of publicity this brings the reptile community.
This is my concern. We already fight huge prevailing negative myths in mainstream culture regarding both reptiles and reptile keepers. It doesn't help matters that a guy with a good reputation went off and abused, not only the beardie, but the people he beat with it. This is more damning for us than if it were a blatantly obvious bad guy.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #18
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud945 View Post
What do you mean by a free pass? Lots of people in this business have mental issues, but what do we do now that his includes animal cruelty? Should he be allowed to be in business after this?
Re-calibrate your sarcasm meter and then read Steve's post again.

I didn't know that Ben has bipolar disorder. If that's the case then I hope he gets the help he needs. I have two friends who suffer from this disease, and unfortunately with both I've had to help clean up legal messes they've caused. I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
CombatWombat
I completely agree. We already fight so many battles against people who don't understand why we love reptiles so much. I saw a lot of reasoning on the Facebook BOI regarding Ben's life where I found out about this but they deleted the link completely.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
ShadowAceD
Quote:
While that's true, the person needs to WANT the help. And if the meds aren't working talk to your doctor and get on different ones. They won't always get it right the first time which is why communication between doctor and patient is key. From everything I've seen, I don't know the man personally so this is pure opinion on articles and what people have said, it doesn't seem like he WANTS help, meds, etc. But again that's my personal opinion on what info we have. I wish I had the screen shot someone posted of him going off on a customer for no reason what so ever. Can't remember where it was posted either, an employee who was running the business at that time had to apologize for his behavior. I think it may have been on Brian's post about the last time he was arrested (brian from bhb) if I can find it I'll post it. But I don't know how much good that will do, or if it's allowed since it really isn't about this incident. It really would just go to show character I guess..
It could be argued Ben's actions in the past two years are the actions of a man looking for help. Not everyone is mentally capable of simply asking, particularly when they have dealt with a mental disorder their entire lives. Bi-polar disorder is not something he was recently diagnosed with.

His erratic behavior including verbal abuse and violent actions are not like the Ben from ten years ago, you can ask anyone who has known him on a personal or connected professional level for some decades. He is, in the simplest of terms, not in his right mind and while people may see that as people making excuses for him, it is not; it is simply the reason, even if they disagree with it or not.

What really needs to be known is how the people around Ben have been trying to help him, if at all or if they have simply been ignoring the fits and going on as if it is business as usual.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!