i need bull snake advice!!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
shermn8r
For a "tired and cranky moderator" you've been extremely helpful, Harald. Maybe my snake will survive the winter after all. I'll try all your advice and let you know how everything turns out. Can you recommend any books so I don't have to keep bothering you?
So how's winter in the Albany area? I'm originally from the northern Adirondacks region.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
hhmoore
As far as I know, THE book hasn't been published yet...KJ has been working on it for awhile, I think I'll have to rattle his cage to ask how its coming.

The winter, aside from a few cold weeks, hasn't been bad. Looks like I'm finally going to have to use the new snowblower this week though...maybe a couple of times, if the forecast is right.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
Greatballzofire

All my snakes get containers full of moist orchid sphagnum moss. I put a cardboard box over this for added privacy. No bad or retained sheds ever.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
shermn8r
That's a great idea. Thanx. That would eliminate the constant misting I have to do with exposed moss.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
Greatballzofire
A few tips about these moss hides:
they sometimes will poop in them so watch for that. Just remove the pooped part and clean that area; you don't have to throw out the whole thing. Every few month replace the whole contents with fresh in clean container.
They will flatten the moss down or drag some out so you will need to occasionally replenish the packing.
Replenish the moisture occasionally; pack it in firmly then squeeze out the excess water.
They like tight spaces to squeeze into so you can stuff the moss in the container generously.
I use the soft orchid moss from Lowes or any garden center that sells orchid supplies.

Baby bulls enjoying their moss hide.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
Greatballzofire
Forgot to add in photo; lid is off just to take their picture.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!