!@#$*% Raccoons! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
If you have a hose that reaches to your garden, then this will likely help...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2GQ5PVN45P4FYJ

It certainly helped to keep the varmints out of our peach tree this year.
That is a great idea for gardens and orchards.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
timebider
Thanks, Rich! What a great idea! Just ordered one.

For last night, I tried something I read as a last-ditch effort: wrap each ear of corn in a plastic bag. I think the rationale is supposed to be that they can't smell it, because coons are certainly smart and dexterous enough to pull the bags off if they wanted to. But it actually worked! They didn't mess with it at all.

I took the bags off this morning and will have to go do it again soon. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime - that sprinkler should arrive soon and I think it may actually be worth staying up to watch it in action.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebider View Post
Thanks, Rich! What a great idea! Just ordered one.

For last night, I tried something I read as a last-ditch effort: wrap each ear of corn in a plastic bag. I think the rationale is supposed to be that they can't smell it, because coons are certainly smart and dexterous enough to pull the bags off if they wanted to. But it actually worked! They didn't mess with it at all. We had ALL the peaches for ourselves this year. Next year we will have a few more trees bearing fruit, so I bought two more of these units just to have them.

I took the bags off this morning and will have to go do it again soon. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime - that sprinkler should arrive soon and I think it may actually be worth staying up to watch it in action.
Hope it works for you. Last year we didn't get ANY peaches off of the one tree we had then. Between the deer, raccoons and possums, we didn't have a chance. One day the peaches were there, then the next they were ALL gone. Obviously the smell of ripe peaches drew the varmints in from everywhere.

I really liked the idea of the water sprinkler thing. No real drawbacks. When it triggers, the tree gets watered. Between the hissing sound of the sprinkler and getting hit by a stream of water, I think most animals would high tail it when that happens. If you put on the decals, it actually looks like the head of some fearsome creature as well...

Old 08-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Anyone ever tried wolf or cougar urine?

I know that's supposed to help keep beaver away from dams, though IDK about raccoons.
Not trying be be strange, but try HUMAN URINE. Have the family donate urine samples in plastic cups and pour it around the perimeter of your garden.

My uncle swears by it to keep all kinds of unwanted wildlife away.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #15
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJane13 View Post
Not trying be be strange, but try HUMAN URINE. Have the family donate urine samples in plastic cups and pour it around the perimeter of your garden.

My uncle swears by it to keep all kinds of unwanted wildlife away.
Donate? I drink one coffee and I could protect 4 acres, lol.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
Focal
I use live traps and catfood/tuna fish and I'll get one every time. I call animal control and they come out, pick it up, and relocate them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!