Heating 41qt with a undertank heater? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&A Pythons View Post
Don't skimp on important piece of equipment. Ya dimmer switch will work. Somebody bumps it cooks snakes or turns off then u have a problem. Get helix or herpstat. Well worth money and piece of mind

Totally agree with you! My boy friend was nice enough to buy the heating and environments so I'm trying to keep it cheap.

We will make this the most expensive part.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
Hypopita
I would agree with getting some flexwatt for heating, and a good thermostat to control it. If you absolutely can't afford a herpstat or helix, I have known people who have had success with ranco's.

For the flexwatt, you could get a couple feet of 3 or 4", which will have to be wired. Flexwatt is like that heating pad, but comes in a roll and is cut to length. You'll need to order, or cut it, to size and then wire it. There's two ways to do that: you could either solder it, if you are comfortable with doing something like that...or use the clips they have available. I've noticed that the soldering is prefered by a good amount of people, and is the method I use. Whichever route, this will give you your capability for heat. Just make sure you control this with a good thermostat and not just plut it into the wall, or you are asking for bad things to happen.

I tried a light dimmer before, for individual enclosures...I had nothing but bad experiences. There would be cutouts in the power at random points on the adjustment slide, and the temps were really inconsistant. It doesnt account for any of the environmental temperature changes. If you have it set at 50%, and your house goes up 10 degrees, your enclosure is now 10 degrees too hot. Ball pythons don't enjoy fluctuation.

Anyway, hope that was a bit of help.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypopita View Post
I would agree with getting some flexwatt for heating, and a good thermostat to control it. If you absolutely can't afford a herpstat or helix, I have known people who have had success with ranco's.

For the flexwatt, you could get a couple feet of 3 or 4", which will have to be wired. Flexwatt is like that heating pad, but comes in a roll and is cut to length. You'll need to order, or cut it, to size and then wire it. There's two ways to do that: you could either solder it, if you are comfortable with doing something like that...or use the clips they have available. I've noticed that the soldering is prefered by a good amount of people, and is the method I use. Whichever route, this will give you your capability for heat. Just make sure you control this with a good thermostat and not just plut it into the wall, or you are asking for bad things to happen.

I tried a light dimmer before, for individual enclosures...I had nothing but bad experiences. There would be cutouts in the power at random points on the adjustment slide, and the temps were really inconsistent. It doesn't account for any of the environmental temperature changes. If you have it set at 50%, and your house goes up 10 degrees, your enclosure is now 10 degrees too hot. Ball pythons don't enjoy fluctuation.

Anyway, hope that was a bit of help.
Thanks! The flexwatt is not an issue, I've looked up how to wire it and such. I will NOT be going with the dimmer since I've heard so many doubtful things. I just want what's best for the snake. I will look into the ranco.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #14
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
probably going with this one, and plugging my flex watt into this.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
blackandblue_lulu
I can set the flex watt on any wooden surface correct? table etc.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
snakesRkewl
don't waste your time with 3 or 4 inch flexwatt, you want 11x12 inch flexwatt for a 41qt tub.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #17
blackandblue_lulu
Thanks!! I am ordering in a few minute! I hope the people sell... if now I will just have to double up.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #18
blackandblue_lulu
Where can I find somewhere with quick shipping.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
don't waste your time with 3 or 4 inch flexwatt, you want 11x12 inch flexwatt for a 41qt tub.
Would one of these for each tub be okay? http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultrath...ter-uth-11-x11

Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #20
snakesRkewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblue_lulu View Post
Would one of these for each tub be okay? http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultrath...ter-uth-11-x11
Flexwatt is under 4 bucks a foot and does the same exact thing.
ultratherms are great for other species but imo does not create enough belly heat for a ball python and 1 pad cost as much as enough flexwatt for 6 tubs.

If you set up the shelving and measure from shelf to shelf and give reptile basics the lengths between shelves they will wire it up for you. You will also need to buy the clips, covers and wire sets though.
Not my preferred way, we solder all of our connections, but much better than what your dealing with now and by far less expensive than ultratherms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
flex watt, heat tape, heating