What do you do with a rat that bites? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
MCMB
Yea I was prepared for the worst, but it's all taken care of . I don't think I'd ever want to do it again, but this one needed to go. I can still barely bend my finger, she got me right on the joint -.- On a plus note, my big ol' het pied that I thought would only take live apparently has no issues with fresh killed .

Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #12
snowgyre
Thoracic compression is the standard method to euthanize small animals via the Society of American Mammalogists and is a technique I use in the field when I encounter injured small mammals during my period small mammal surveys. Grab the rodent firmly by the chest and squeeze hard until the animal can't breathe. Death occurs in less than a minute and is more reliable than blunt trauma to the head.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre
and is a technique I use in the field when I encounter injured small mammals during my period small mammal surveys
Good lord that sounded dirty. PERIODIC small mammal surveys. PERIODIC. The lack of an edit button as a nonpaid member is embarrassing sometimes, but alas, can't pay for an account until after I finish moving. x_x

Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
MCMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Thoracic compression is the standard method to euthanize small animals via the Society of American Mammalogists and is a technique I use in the field when I encounter injured small mammals during my period small mammal surveys. Grab the rodent firmly by the chest and squeeze hard until the animal can't breathe. Death occurs in less than a minute and is more reliable than blunt trauma to the head.
Are you saying to squeeze hard enough as to actually crush the ribcage? It seems to me at that point that just squeezing the spine at the base of the neck and twisting would be more effective?

Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #15
snowgyre
No, you're not crushing any bones, you're simply applying enough pressure that the animal can't breathe. A rat dies rather quickly by suffocation... quickly enough that the primary scientific society for mammals in North America recognizes thoracic compression as a humane method of euthanasia. Just squeeze hard and hold. If done properly, the rat won't even struggle. They just kind of go to sleep.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #16
snowgyre
In my experience, any method of killing an animal that requires twisting or blunt trauma leaves far too large a margin an error. If done incorrectly, the animal suffers GREATLY before death. If the rat is calm when you're holding it, then you gently grab it around the chest and then squeeze hard with one hand, they actually pass quickly and surprisingly peacefully.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #17
MCMB
Weird, I'm suprised I've never heard of that...I never even saw it when I was looking around the internet.

Sounds a lot easier than bashing their head on a table first (no offense Helenthereef, it did the job :P) . Plus I don't think I'd feel quite so bad if I had to do it to my nicer ratties. Thanks for the info!

Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #18
JColt
If you watch video's the "chamber" is nothing more than a container like 5 gal bucket or shoebox with a supply line for co2 and a small hole so lid does not blow off. If you go the tail route hold tail firm or you will peel skin from tail and have one agitated rat.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #19
Helenthereef
Quote:
In my experience, any method of killing an animal that requires twisting or blunt trauma leaves far too large a margin an error. If done incorrectly, the animal suffers GREATLY before death. If the rat is calm when you're holding it, then you gently grab it around the chest and then squeeze hard with one hand, they actually pass quickly and surprisingly peacefully.
That's interesting - essentially it's the same way the snake kills a rodent so it makes sense, but this is the first time I've every heard of it being done (literally) by human hand.

PS; no offence taken MCMB, head bashing isn't lovely but it is fast, and works when you need it. I agree that it isn't for everyone.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
oneofakinduserid
Quote:
No, you're not crushing any bones, you're simply applying enough pressure that the animal can't breathe. A rat dies rather quickly by suffocation... quickly enough that the primary scientific society for mammals in North America recognizes thoracic compression as a humane method of euthanasia. Just squeeze hard and hold. If done properly, the rat won't even struggle. They just kind of go to sleep.

Huh. It's like pretending to be a snake to constrict the rat... If she is aggressive as he says it might be tricky, though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!