This is some of the stuff that brings the hobby down.... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #11
Manhattan Herps
i agree, i think helping newbies out with questions does alot of good

it would be much different if this person was a newbie, since he claims 10 years of keeping herps, and keeping the albino leo for a year, hey, it could be false info, but he's the one who stated it, so who knows

helping newbies out is great to a degree, thers are some newbies out there who are great, and are like sponges, they soak up every last bit of into possible, then there are ones who are ignorant and want to beleive that their way is right and dont want to listen to anything anyone has to say, there is a limit to how much one person can take, i agree that it should be handled in a mature, non violent way, but there are some that need to be yelled at just to set them straight

Old 04-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #12
FreakOfNature66
ok I understand what you guys are saying but a morph doesnt shed any less frequent than a regular. Thats common sense. Yeah and if the person has had if for a year and a half they should know by now. So they are just either a.) lying about their experiance or b.) dense in the head
so whatever peopel will always be stupid

Old 04-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #13
KelliH
Perhaps he has kept herps for ten years, or perhaps not. Doesn't really matter, the person was asking a question, and he was not asking it in a rude way at all.

Quote:
helping newbies out is great to a degree, thers are some newbies out there who are great, and are like sponges, they soak up every last bit of into possible, then there are ones who are ignorant and want to beleive that their way is right and dont want to listen to anything anyone has to say, there is a limit to how much one person can take, i agree that it should be handled in a mature, non violent way, but there are some that need to be yelled at just to set them straight
I don't beleive the person in question deserved being "yelled at". There are better ways to communicate with someone than that. Just my opinion, later

Old 04-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #14
Manhattan Herps
again, i agree, i dont feel he was "yelled at" rather than just called out. psh, i'm no angel, i have gotten a bit ticked off as some of the questions people post there, to me it seems like they by the animal befor doing any research, if everyone kept the proper attitude there, there would be no problems at all, not that there were any problems, its sad to see, not only for the leos, but for the owners, if the leo dies, the owner has to experience that, and if you are new to keeping them, or if you have been keeping them for 25 years plus, it hurts, and the leo gets housed improperly, is fed the wrong food, is not given the correct supplements, is given no heat, or improper heat, suffers, and then dies, hopefully, the new owner will go back to the forum to ask for help, and/or right the wrongs that person made, and hopefully the people on the forum would respect that the owner takes full responsibility and they help out with any questions they could answer, thats how i think every puplic forum should be, but unfortunatly i cannot see that ever happening, people have different opinions about things, and sooner of later they will clash

i hope you can see my point here kelli, i am in no way trying to argue with you, and i am sorry if it looks that way :\

Old 04-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
dragonflyreptiles
Thats the first time Ive been on the KS forum in over a year maybe 2, I forget its there really.

At least the person got an answer, I agree with Dan, Chris and Kelly and others, there is no reason to jump on a person for asking a question, what may be a stipud question to one person may not be to the one asking. It is odd that they had the leo for a year and never noticed a shed but who's to say that is true.

Id rather see a "stupid" question being asked than an owner to afraid to ask stupid questions.

Just me 02 cents

Old 04-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
KelliH
Yeah, good points I guess but all I am trying to say is that being rude and condescending gets us nowhere. You will not get very far in this business being that way. Well, in most cases LOL.

Quote:
i hope you can see my point here kelli, i am in no way trying to argue with you, and i am sorry if it looks that way :\
Dan, I am an adult. I do my best not to argue with people, I discuss things. Well, I do argue sometimes with my teenage son, but that's an exception!

Old 04-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #17
KelliH
Oh, and also Dan, I know you are not arguing with me, just discussing.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #18
Bringerofdoom
I think the attacks on newbies and just people that are ignorant are some of what brings this hobby down. I dont know, nor care how many years of experience he claims to have. Obviously its reflected in that question that he has to be a newbie. I notice alot of people track back their keeping to when they were a kid and start counting from there....

Ignorance and reptiles seem to go hand and hand anymore. I seen someones caresheet for leopard geckos that advised, that you do not expose them to uvb or sunlight or you would make them blind.. Sadder part was, that was the majority belief on that forum as well...

Old 04-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #19
Gregg M
I dont know..... Its nice to help out newbies..... But, these questions I have seen lately, are basic info that should be aquired BEFORE the reptile is..... That is what is so bad about the question..... If the same question was asked by someone that was looking to get a leo it would be a different story..... Then it would be a legit question..... But it is a rediculous question for someone that has had this leo in their care for over a year...... Do you understand my point..... The thing that is even scarier is that this person claims to be keeping giant dangerous constrictors...... These are some things that are destroying this hobby..... People keeping animals they have no knowledge about...... With all these reptile bans going around, I will not be suprized if leos make the ban list in another few years.....

The first two things anyone learns about reptiles is that.....

1) They are cold blooded....
2) All reptiles shed their skin....

How can someone keep reptiles and not know the most basic of reptilian info???? Thats what is wrong with this hobby......

Shame on people who buy animals without finding out the basics of keeping them first.....

Not shame on me for calling someone out........

Old 04-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #20
Gregg M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerofdoom

Ignorance and reptiles seem to go hand and hand anymore. I seen someones caresheet for leopard geckos that advised, that you do not expose them to uvb or sunlight or you would make them blind.. Sadder part was, that was the majority belief on that forum as well...
Mike, it has been proven that UV light can damage nocturnal animals eyes.... It just has not been proven yet either way in leos......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!