Topshelf Exotic Forum- New look! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > New or Updated Websites and Web Resources

Notices

New or Updated Websites and Web Resources General notices about a new website or a newly found one worthy of note. You can introduce your new website here as well.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:17 AM   #11
Chris@TSE
well he was pointing towards the mods mainly but alas, good point.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:45 AM   #12
DragonCharm
Hey Badboa, seems that you only have 3 posts so far. 2 are in this thread, a search to find the elusive 3rd post turns up nothing. I would imagine it was some offensive comment that was deleted. Sounds like a to me.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:29 AM   #13
badboa
No I guess I'm not a genius. But on the other hand I'm the only one here who is smart enough to see the truth. How many of those other forums are using the traders ratings and the reputaton and the highest and lowest display on their front page? How many are using the identicle text line ad at the top of the page? How many are using the same identicle vertical tower ad in the right hand margin and a horizonal ad at the top right of the page? How many are using the same identicle program for their advertising?

No I'm no genius but at least my vision is 20/20. Or at least I purposly don't have blinders on.

Maybe I'll ask the admin here about an opinon. There could be legal issues involved I think.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:31 AM   #14
badboa
Oh one other thing. How come it only took 7 minutes from the time I posted my post before TSE was here with a reply? Is that some kind of new worlds record or something? Feels like I put my foot into a bear trap waiting for someone to come along.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:32 AM   #15
badboa
And what do those red squares mean? Did I piss on somebodys shoes?

Old 08-04-2005, 03:55 AM   #16
Chris@TSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboa
No I guess I'm not a genius. But on the other hand I'm the only one here who is smart enough to see the truth. How many of those other forums are using the traders ratings and the reputaton and the highest and lowest display on their front page? How many are using the identicle text line ad at the top of the page? How many are using the same identicle vertical tower ad in the right hand margin and a horizonal ad at the top right of the page? How many are using the same identicle program for their advertising?
Sigh.... some people never learn. Yes, you ARE stupid. Thanks for confirming what everyone already knows. There are tens of THOUSANDS of vbulletin message forums on the internet. A great majority of those forums are business related. Of those sites nearly the majority have the little checkmark in the configuration options ENABLED to allow for reputation ratings. I guess by checking that mark I am trying to copy someone according to your delusional accusations.... Thats nice. Think what you like, you're begining to sound JUST like someone else I know.

The text ad at the top and banners are all in the same, run by the advertising program. The advertising software is the same as used here, no surprise. I had planned on having our programmer or designer "skin" it from the "out-of-box" look to set it apart or match the forums. So very sorry we have not gotten around to that yet nonetheless there are plenty of other forums and business related sites that use this software. I did learn of it here of course, and when doing my research on vbulletin based Q&A forums I have found that it is quite popular since no one has ever made a script or mod to do the same function for free. Im guessing one of these sites is where Rich or his programmer learned of it as well. HUGE surprise. If you think that this is some custom exculsive masterpeice, I hate to burst your bubble.... It's not. It's a great forum, with great mods. Greats mods that are used on many other great forums. Since both are reptile related forums following the same subject matter its fairly obvious that they would share many similarities. Eventually these similarities will be set further apart to quiet sniveling children like yourself. Lord knows this industry needs more people like you......

Anyways, I bit the bullet and paid for the adrevenue software in order to save myself time in the future. I dont have time to put up or tear down ads all the time, nor do I have time to keep track of those types of subscriptions. Again, I am so very sorry for prioritising my time and purchasing a software with my hard earned money to make life easier for myself and my forum members...

The specific banner PLACEMENT is simple really, there are very few places I know where to alter the php code in vbulletin to allow for banners. These places are the header and footer codes or html pages. When you try doing it inside the frames of the board it screws everything up. When you put them on the left hand side, guess what? The forums stretch to the right so people have to constantly use the horizontal slide bar to view the text.... not to mention the ads are in thier faces all the time. When we put them on the right (in the footer) the forums displayed perfectly. As for the text, well, you can put it on the side, and there is no visability on the bottom, so the top it was. I wasnt very pleased it looked so similar but guess what? The forum isnt done yet. Eventually after every single aspect of the forum is modified it will no longer resemble the square "generic" look of vbulletin. It's going to take quite a bit of time, but a VERY custom "style/skin" set is being developed. The mods, dimentions, and banners must be in place first for this to happen. We're also waiting for them to release a "final" copy of the prerelease version 3.5 so we can upgrade and THEN do the rest of the style work considering going from 3.0.8 may not be as compatible as we're hoping for.

I'm guessing this is why Rich or his programmer/designer did the same. The software may be great, but unless you are a genius coder there is only so much you have to work with. I would have liked to put the vertical banners elsewhere honestly but could not without ruining the width of the forums. And as for the top ten stats, thats a very simple modification. Hopefully Rich dosent pay his programmer too much, pretty much 99% of these are freebie downloads from various mod and hack sites dedicated to vbulletin. And Rich is also correct when it comes to vb and herp related forums, they seem to be disappointed with other softwares and this is primarily Rich's fault. (not in a bad way)... people simply got used to this place and expect nothing less from other forums.

All in all.... you my friend are brainless.... but please, continue. I am having an excellent time educating you and showing your peers how truly ignorant you really are. Any more bright suggestions, accusations, or questions?

Quote:
Maybe I'll ask the admin here about an opinon. There could be legal issues involved I think.
Please, by all means, do so. He will probably enlighten you to the fact that you are.... indeed.... stupid. There is nothing illegal about using software we have purchased. There is also nothing illegal about modifying the code for vbulletin with free pre-assembled mods.

You act as if these similarities are exclusive and owned by one person. they are not, you are wrong, I am right.

neener. neener. neener.

Quote:
Oh one other thing. How come it only took 7 minutes from the time I posted my post before TSE was here with a reply? Is that some kind of new worlds record or something? Feels like I put my foot into a bear trap waiting for someone to come along.
Again, you're an idiot. There is this thing called a "subscription notification"

Please take a moment to hover above to the box called "Thread Tools" and you will see a little option called "Subscribe to this Thread"

Now..... if you have your notifications set to instant email in your user options, guess what?

Thread Subscription + Instant Email Notification = Email within seconds when you post to this thread.

Since I have been making an effort not to post around here mainly because of people like you I have simply subscribed to threads I wanted to keep track of instead of contributing. I knew a dimwit like you would try to make such a pathetic association and I was waiting for it. Thank so very much for making my day.

You jumped the gun, made ignorant accusations and ASSumptions. You made yourself look like a fool, you chummed the waters just like every other fool here who likes to jump the gun and tear into someone for no specific reason except a unverified thought. I'm guessing you're spending your time lurking and following the wrong examples.Havent you seen what happens to people who are blatantly wrong or ignorant and refuse to admit it?

I'll show you.

Your destiny. Enjoy it.

Anything else? Feel free to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and come back for more. I eat ignorant children like you for breakfast. :eatpointe

And by the way, wouldnt it be simpler to admit you were wrong rather than make yourself look worse? But by all means... Please continue if you must. I dont mind.

Quote:
And what do those red squares mean? Did I piss on somebodys shoes?
Oh, you mean the bars associated with the very same reputation system you know nothing about and claim we stole, the very same one built into every newer version of vBulletin software?

See what I mean..... Stupid.

And yes, you pissed in someones shoes. Every time a user sees one of your brainless posts they have the option of "voting" on it using the reputation system. From the looks of it, over the spread of your last three or four posts many people agree that you are indeed a troll. You're simply too ignorant to step down and admit you are wrong, and I am guessing this is why you are getting the bad reputation points and I'm getting the good ones. But hey, thats just my logical guess....

It's been a blast... I'll leave you to recover. Toodaloo...

Old 08-04-2005, 04:13 AM   #17
badboa
Genius again here. So where did you see that advertising software at, Chris? I've been to some other mesage board sites and never seen it before. And all those other sites Karen pointed me to seem to have gotten banner ads working fine without dupicating the format here. You make it sound like the way it is done here is the only way you could have done it.

And the reputaton system is in all mesage board systems like this one, huh? How come those other ones aren't using it? How come they aren't using the trader ratings thing either. Where did you see those being used at before you decided you wanted them on your site? Are you saying that what you saw here had no influince at all in your using them? Just a coinsidence?

I've been reading some other threads and I would think the last thing you would want to do is to be a copycat site of this one. So why did you do it that way?

I will probably taste better with chocolate milk for your breakfast. Just be gentle with me please. Or am I too old for you and you prefer children instead? I think there are laws against that.

Oh I did send a message to webslave about this.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 AM   #18
Chris@TSE
Okay kiddo.... Get Ready, this is fun....

1. I already said I saw it here, (adrevenue software by w3matter products) and after researching on vBulletin based help and mod message boards hoping to find a free program to do the same, there simply was not one available. Trust me, if there was a free one out there that did the same, I'd be ALL over it. Our programmer couldnt find one, and before I foot the bill for this software I even took nearly an entire day searching such forums for information regarding them. Nothing. People were asking upwards of $200 or more to make one custom. They also pointed me in the direction of a software that did all of this and could work for ANY site, not just forums. Know what it was? AdRevenue. The same software by w3matter products. WOW....... (already said all of this, hope it sinks in this time)

It was a no-brainer, why pay $200 or more for software that costs like $100 or so? This is why Rich or his Programmer probably opted to use it I guessed, and I was simply left with no other choice. Its cheaper than a custom mod, it already works, and it does the job very well. Not to mention it saves me the time from doing everything manually or paying someone to do it for me. Again, I GUARANTEE this is the reason Rich chose this software, it was a great move. I applaud his ability to make a logical decision and your ability to make a fool of yourself.

And so it is very clear.... I have no problem admitting that I did indeed see it here first simply becuase I do not frequent message boards of other subject matter. In other forums on different subject matter however this software is widespread....... and it is also used on various other type sites. All it is is a software that allows users to manage ads themselves and pay right thru the software. You take a simple javascript code and put it where you want the banners displayed. DONE. never again do you have to put up, take down, juggle subscriptions and payments, nothing. A lifesaver.

Seems every single person in the negative rep "club" cant read, or chooses not too. They must think by asking questions that have already been answered they are winning an argument. Arrogance and ignorance. Bliss my friend, utter bliss. ten or so posts and already you've proven yourself worthy of the negative title. lol

Learn how to read, repeating myself for uneducated trolls like yourself gets old quick.

2. The reputation system is in use on many business related sites. It is in the software, it is actually a standard option I beleive ON by default. It was also REQUESTED by our forum members. Same thing with the Trader Rating Mod, REQUESTED. But I already said all of this.... Before the forums were even switched to vbulletin the users were notified and ASKED what mods they would like to see. They asked for the same modifications they see here and on other vbulletin boards. Mainly here of course because this is obviously the most populated and popular reptile forum. Free upgrades, free to download by anyone interested in doing so. Used by thousands of vbulletin based forums.

Learn how to read, repeating myself for uneducated trolls like yourself gets old quick.

3. I do not want to "copy cat" this site, trust me. It just so happens our users requested much of what they see here, now its up to myself, my programmer, and our designer to work towards modifying our system to set it apart a bit more, again, to quiet insignificant ignorant children like yourself who like to jump the gun and make uneducated ASSumptions. Again you are wasting my time, I've already said all of this yet you are too stupid to read or comprehend english.

4. Fantastic. Tell Rich I said hello and to post more photos of his two headed corns. I'm diggin' them....

Even he can see the similarities im sure, and even he will tell you these are all free public modifications (unless his programmer lied to him and overcharged him for services, i sure hope not.) and paid software. He should be honored when our members were polled they chose many of the mods and options he has in use here. But nonetheless, they are used on many MANY other forums.

Anyways...

All in all, dont waste my time son. If you have something that hasnt already been addressed and answered have at it. I suggest you take a moment to put on your glasses and whip out that dictionary. Re-read the posts. I'm not repeating myself for a simpleton like you again. You and those like you are the very reason this place has turned so cut-throat lately. Guilty until proven innocent, shoot and ask questions later. What a proud idiot you've become, you must be very pleased with yourself.

Again, feel free to forward your apology any time now. But wait, I seriously doubt someone like yourself can even have the courage enough to admit when he may have jumped to a conclusion. Toodaloo!

Old 08-04-2005, 05:48 AM   #19
Chris@TSE
Looks like I let this tool get to me a bit too much, nonetheless its nearly 6am and I am finished altering the advertising page(s) http://www.topshelfexotic.com/vbulletin/advert/

At least thats one aspect of the site a troll like this cannot complain about, but I came to one very important realization. Trolls like badboa are simply here to cause trouble and create drama because they are allowed too. I guess the world is not appealing to these sorts unless they can cause a fight or rift. You're quite lucky the owner and moderators of this site allow this behavior to potentially destroy their hard work son..... I certainly would not.... I'm quite glad our forums are small.... Much easier to weed out the dirtbags. I'll have to pretend im in the NHL... Instead of a salary cap I'll have to introduce a member cap LOL

Old 08-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #20
DragonCharm
Legal issues? On what grounds would there be legal issues? And for what reason? I had no idea Rich and Chris were secret mortal enemies. Since when did it stop being about the hobby and switch focus to suing everyone that has a website that includes similar topics? Since the only posts you have on this board are in this thread you obviously aren't a regular contributing member, therefore I can't see a reason you'd get so defensive. Maybe an axe to grind with Chris?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!