Snake Bite - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
tandy4000
Thanks guys! (and gals)
The tokay let go pretty shortly after biting Also, i'm really not that good at typing with one hand; I posted this afterwards when i thought "hey, what if he doesn't let go next time?"
i'm not really one for waiting 20mins with a gecko on my hand.
I like the hot sauce idea- any other advice using vinegar?

Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #12
Karen Hulvey
Just pass the animal through the hot water. It works and doesn't harm you or the animal. When my tokay had my hand, I hand not yet "discovered" how well hot water works.

Just a little bit of hot water got one very large retic off my boss' hand and a smaller one off mine. They let go the instant the hot water hit them. In my case I only turned on the cold but I had been using hot water to wash water dishes right before the snake bit me so even though I turned on the cold water tap hot water came out. The snake let go instantly.

I remembered my hot water incident when my boss was holding this huge retic's head under running cold water (Her head was bigger than his hand BTW) I asked him if he wanted me to try hot water. He said sure, can't hurt. As soon as the hot water hit her head, she released. No chance to burn either animal as they were passed through the water pretty fast and the hot water heater isn't set hot enough to burn anyway.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #13
jsrocket
I'll Have a Number 14, To Go.

I like the duck sauce technique, but I would worry that my herps might then start to develop a yen for szechuan chicken and shrimp with lobster sauce.

Soon, rats and such wouldn't be good enough any more. With their newly educated palate, they would turn up their noses at anything except gourmet cuisine, except for Tuesday, when they would want KFC. Feeding day would become a nightmare; Thai for the Burmese, sushi for the kings, Denver Omlettes for the corns, and so on.

I think I'd go with the hot water.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
tandy4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrocket
I like the duck sauce technique, but I would worry that my herps might then start to develop a yen for szechuan chicken and shrimp with lobster sauce.

Soon, rats and such wouldn't be good enough any more. With their newly educated palate, they would turn up their noses at anything except gourmet cuisine, except for Tuesday, when they would want KFC. Feeding day would become a nightmare; Thai for the Burmese, sushi for the kings, Denver Omlettes for the corns, and so on.

I think I'd go with the hot water.
LOL! We'd have to watch out for using alcohol too. The herps will want champagne with their chicken.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:56 PM   #15
jsrocket
Exactly! Then we would all have glutton, alcoholic reptiles on our hands. Of course, they would have to go to rehab, and sit around saying stuff like, "Hi, everybody, my name's Chomper, and I'm an alcoholic". Then, they would surely become hooked on coffee and cigarettes.

Some say duck sauce is harmless, but it really is a "gateway" food.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #16
tandy4000
Once all the drunk herps got together they would start forming gangs- the "retics" and the "bloods"- The newly organized pythons would begin raiding houses just for kicks. Animal control would have to be called in and we'd have pythons sent to the state penitentiary to room with bank robbers.

Hot water is the choice for my snakes and tokay

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!