Beware.... The Reptile Ranch - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #11
Chameleon Company
One Jim to another ..

Hey Jim,
I don't think there will be a reader here who doesn't think that if Laura at Reptile Ranch were an honorable person and business, that she would compensate you in a reasonable fashion. Maybe not a full refund, but certainly something tangible. Unfortunately, some of what she says in her email are not the words of ethical business dealing, and Dennis highlighted plenty of other actions on her part that speak louder than her words anyway. As I think you alluded to, with regard to any letter-of-the-law, or TOS, you do not have a legal claim, just an ethical one. In hindsight, and for the sake of others to help keep them from making such an error, maybe deals for such snakes, which aren't as fragile as some other reptiles, and particularly trades, need a two-week window, etc.
One thing that stuck with me was Laura's reference to you "waiting almost three weeks to tell me something was wrong", and that she held your animals for "two weeks as a safeguard to be sure the deal was OK etc" (my paraphrasing, but I think its accurate). I have looked at my calender three times, and with two hands and my left foot (with one digit to spare) I only count 14 days from when your friend picked them up and when you emailed her about concerns. My right shoe does not have to come off to count beyond 14, much less employ all digits and the little python to get to three weeks, aka 21 ! I always know I am dealing with a loser when they exagerate time-lines, as I think she has, and then wants to stand high-and-mighty on her giving you two weeks before she sold your animals .... excuse me, but NOT !!
Are you going to get your animals back, or compensation? Likely not, as she has a history of not fixing things. But I hope you get lucky, or that at least your experience helps others to avoid the same mistake.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:32 AM   #12
prehistoric
Not to worry...

First of all I want to assure everyone that when I saw the underfed condition of the snakes, I was worried enough to set up a quarantine cage for the snakes. I am going to take the hypo female, as well as the female that died, to our vet, Dr. Greek, at the Yorba Regional Animal Hospital in Anaheim, CA. I will let all of you know when I recieve any news on the animals.

As far as compensation for the animals, I lost all hope with the last e-mail I received. I really wouldn't even know what to argue, seeing that she doesn't believe she did anything wrong. I am only posting this information to inform others of what happened and to hopefully prevent anyone from doing business with The Reptile Ranch. It is sad to think that we are not all in this together; that some business are willing to take advantage of others to further themselves. I would think that such a high end trade, would provide some level of respect for the other. Instead they pass off their JUNK to the next guy with a little trust, then feel good about the fact that they got their moneys worth. Leaving me in a postion where I can't breed, or sell these snakes at any price.

I would at least like to hear something in response to all of this from Chuck and Laura at The Reptile Ranch. What could possibly be their view on the situation that makes them feel no guilt for their actions?

Thanks for reading.

A.J. Charlson
Store Manager
Prehistoric Pets, Inc.
www.reptileguru.com

Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 AM   #13
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by prehistoric
First of all I want to assure everyone that when I saw the underfed condition of the snakes, I was worried enough to set up a quarantine cage for the snakes. I am going to take the hypo female, as well as the female that died, to our vet, Dr. Greek, at the Yorba Regional Animal Hospital in Anaheim, CA. I will let all of you know when I recieve any news on the animals.

As far as compensation for the animals, I lost all hope with the last e-mail I received. I really wouldn't even know what to argue, seeing that she doesn't believe she did anything wrong. I am only posting this information to inform others of what happened and to hopefully prevent anyone from doing business with The Reptile Ranch. It is sad to think that we are not all in this together; that some business are willing to take advantage of others to further themselves. I would think that such a high end trade, would provide some level of respect for the other. Instead they pass off their JUNK to the next guy with a little trust, then feel good about the fact that they got their moneys worth. Leaving me in a postion where I can't breed, or sell these snakes at any price.

I would at least like to hear something in response to all of this from Chuck and Laura at The Reptile Ranch. What could possibly be their view on the situation that makes them feel no guilt for their actions?

Thanks for reading.

A.J. Charlson
Store Manager
Prehistoric Pets, Inc.
www.reptileguru.com
I feel for you.

I am extremely sorry this would happen to anyone.
Keep in mind the past behavior of the Reptile Ranch, they will read this thread but will not respond.

I agree with you that with the email you posted below

Quote:
I myself have received animals that I questioned too and rather than start an all out war, per my attorney, I have been instructed to keep in mind that "that is the cost of doing business". I dont know what else to say here.
they have no plans to make this situation right. The quote “the cost of doing business” says it all.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #14
Greg Conner
I am not surprised by any of this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prehistoric

Thanks for reading.

A.J. Charlson
Store Manager
Prehistoric Pets, Inc.
www.reptileguru.com

A few months ago I ordered a beautiful yearling Female Jungle Carpet Python from the Reptile Ranch . I received the same nice animal that was shown in the add , nicely packed and in great condition . Upon closer inspection , it turned out to be a male which I did not need as I already had an exceptional one . I immediately sent an e-mail to Laura explaining the situation and that I needed to return the animal as I had no use for it . I checked their web site for their hours of operation and saw that they would be open the next day . I had some other shipments going out that same day so I sent the JCP back to The Reptile Ranch for next day delivery . I called the next day to see if it had arrived O.K. and was greeted with an overly dramatic " Oh No .... You didn't ship it through blank blank delivery service did you ? They always screw things up ! " Hmmm . First red flag . I asked if she had received my e-mail concerning the animal and was presented with " My computer is down right now ,you know they do that sometimes . I had no idea a package was on the way " Second red flag . I called the delivery service to see if the package had been delivered . They said it was mistakely delivered to another Pet Shop walking distance from the Reptile Ranch and that they would take care of it . I called Laura the next 2 days in a row to see if she had received the package . "No, I havent seen it" I called the delivery service again to find out what was going on . They said it was taken care of . I asked for the number to the store where the package was delivered by accident and spoke with a nice lady who said that she received the package , along with some misdelivered crickets , called the Reptile Ranch , and Laura sent her son down to pick it up . This ladys daughter helped Lauras son take the packages to the Reptile Ranch . Her daughter described the package perfectly . "It was a white box with red letters and brown packing tape ". She also described how they carried the boxes together and handed them to Laura . Lauras response to this was " All I got was crickets , They must have set it down somewhere along the way , you know how kids are ...Haven't seen it" An hour late I received a call from Chuck stating that I needed to file a claim with the carrier and leave them alone .... It was the carriers fault for misdelivering and they didn't sign anything so I have no proof they received it . Thats fine . I'm out $250 . The snake mysteriously vanished between the stores . Hopefully , anyone reading this will think twice before doing business with the Reptile Ranch .

Old 12-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #15
LadyOhh
It is always a shame when people take advantage of others... I wish there was a way other than Karma.

Thanks for posting this up though, so now we all can see Laura for what she does. Actions speak louder than words, huh?

Old 12-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #16
prehistoric
Reptile Ranch

I informed the reptile ranch of this post. My store manager has worked hard to better his collection and this trade has set him back. I personally hate to see companies like this in business, especially when I work so hard to make my customers happy. We’ll see if they even respond to this. Thank you for all the support.

Jim Alles
Owner
Prehistoric Pets, Inc.
Reptileguru.com

Old 12-09-2005, 01:25 AM   #17
Dennis Hultman
reptileranch
Last Activity: 12-08-2005 09:45 PM
Viewing Thread Beware.... The Reptile Ranch @ 09:45 PM Trader Rating: (0) [Rate This User!]
Warning Level: 0
Full Name:
LAURA GRAY

Hey Laura, nothing to say?

I guess not. I would be ashamed as well.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #18
Greg Conner
No Response ..... No surprise ..... There is no response to that . I guess they figured I would just keep my mouth shut and accept the loss .... Not .... You won't be receiving any compensation for your loss and neither will I . I will consider my contribution a gift to charity . Apparantly , They need it . They seem to have forgotten " What comes around , Goes around " . Dear Reptile Ranch , It has come back around ..... Any comments??

Old 12-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #19
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg conner
. Lauras response to this was " All I got was crickets , They must have set it down somewhere along the way , you know how kids are ...Haven't seen it" An hour late I received a call from Chuck stating that I needed to file a claim with the carrier and leave them alone .... It was the carriers fault for misdelivering and they didn't sign anything so I have no proof they received it.
Such obviously ridiculous comments. How stupid is it that these two clowns must think everybody is dumb, just because they are? With these statements they've gone from "just" unethical, poor, disgraceful, representatives of this great hobby, to outright thieves. "We didn't sign anything, so nanananananan." IMHO, that basically means "yes we stole your snake, prove it".

Old 12-10-2005, 07:17 PM   #20
Junkyard
Well, Jim thansk for the info on these fools. Poor reptiles like these people sell keeps me away. This is a good lesson to learn when it comes to trades, always do it in person.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!