Fighting or Wooing?!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #11
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedboy
how do you give them a bath i have never herd of doing that
If the dragons are small you can run a sink of warm water and let them soak in it. Just make sure that their feet can still touch bottom. Never walk away from them, they sometimes jump out. Also, if there is more than one they will climb on each other and possibly stand on another dragons head and drown it. With bigger dragons it's the same thing. Just use a bath tub instead of a sink.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
Faithfultiger
Er yeah, they do like to poop in the bath!! It seems to relax them (when they get used to it that is!) but then it's a battle to get them out without them dragging it with them...

We tried misting them but they seemed to really hate it so gave that up - will give it another go though, I'm sure they'll get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedboy
how do you give them a bath i have never herd of doing that
We run the bath so it is tepid and only deep enough in the deepest part to go to the tops of their legs when they're standing up. As the bath has a slope to it, they can choose the depth that they want to sit in, with the shallowest end having very little or no water at all.

Let them have a play in it for 5-10mins. We dribble a little water over their backs (but not their heads) and just watch them to see that they're ok. Never leave them unattended, even for a second, a disaster wont wait until you're there to see it!

It's something we've always done with our other lizards 'occasionally' but will certainly do it more often with these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Dragons
your dragons are beautiful
Why, thank you very much. I've just been checking out your website, some really good info on there. I'll bookmark it and go back to see when you've put some more stuff up. Meanie is very yellow coloured - I've seen quite a few photos of the different colourations but I've never 'actually' seen one. I think Millie's colouration is quite striking when she's in the right mood but Spike is pretty bland really!

Old 04-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #13
Rebel Dragons
Thanks for your compliments!!! I am having a hard time uploading pics since I moved to a new host. I'm still working on it though.

I got Meanie from www.MyBeardedDragon.com

If want to see some AMAZING colors visit www.Dachiu.Com Vickie and Rob have dragons that I could only dream about having!!!

Old 04-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #14
Faithfultiger
An interesting development today.

After doing A LOT of reading up on mating, substrates, laying etc etc I went out today and bought a shed load of 'play sand'. The substrate that all our lizards have (bought from the repti-shop we got the BDs from) is a little like very small wood-chips. Having read about impaction etc and watching Millie 'digging' in it but not getting far as it wasn't deep and they'd just end up with a bare floor I thought I'd try them on the sand instead. I have just this afternoon put in 2-3 inches and then replaced the furniture, although in a slightly different manner so that it gave her room to dig in the back corner if she wanted to.

They've only been in it about an hour and I just got called in. Millie has already dug a huge hole and is sitting in it staring out with Spike sat on his log above watching her. I doubt very much whether she's already gravid but maybe she's practicing?!

I'm wondering if perhaps she wasn't being receptive to him before because the environment wasn't to her liking.

I also bought some vermiculite and have started looking at setting up an incubator 'just in case'.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #15
willows chelle
holy mackerel!
you may have eggs on the way.

how exciting for you.
she could be practicing.
how old is she?
also, when she is finished with her hole, if there are no eggs, get her out and feel gently on her belly. you usually can feel the hard knots in the belly.
( becareful when you look for eggs! you dont want to move them much until your ready to incubate.)

Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #16
Faithfultiger
We 'think' they're both almost exactly 2yrs as we were told they were 'about' 8mths when we bought them in Nov04.

We've been taking her out of the viv fairly regularly over the last couple of weeks and I haven't felt anything, also her belly is quite flat so don't think there's anything there just yet.

Just got home from work and there is another dig site.... lol

Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #17
Rebel Dragons
Trust me, you will know when she is gravid. Torwards the last week or so her stomach will feel as if there a 25 marbles in it. It's awesome felling the eggs like that and you'll never forget it.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #18
Faithfultiger
I am excited at the prospect but equally very nervous 'if' she does lay with regard to incubation, hatching and the first few months of life.... not really sure we've got enough room for them tbh as our only remaining tank is tiny and I use it as a 'sick' tank if any of our other lizards needs seperating out from the rest for a short period.

There is the possibility of putting our Berber Skink in with the White Spotted Gecko (they have been roomies before but Whitey isn't a very nice companion!) but would rather not.

Thing is, I know this needs thinking about and arranging NOW before it's too late!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!