eggs! and also Help! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
ColleenT
Nothing wrong with males, you may breed all the males you want to.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #12
Playnwifsnot
I checked my eggs last night for viens....they are not fertile
thats ok, once Olivia gets some more weight on her I will introduce her to Scarface again and try it another round. It is always a 100% their first clutch is infertile or is it just a high chance? Colleen or Ed do you know why this happens to begin with?

Old 04-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #13
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Melissa, its been a high percentage of first time breeder females with infertile eggs for me as well. this is only my second year breeding these geckos. but dont worry 2nd clutches are almost always fertile. what I do is put the male back with her after about 5 days, you can expect a set of 2 eggs about every 4 weeks.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
Playnwifsnot
lol...thats to many eggs for me at once! I am having my dad and brother make me a unit so I can house everyone in it, a couple of adult cages and several baby cages so I can seperate babies by female. It hasnt gotten started yet and probably wont for a few months yet so I really dont have the space for a bunch of critter cages all over my bedroom, its bad enough I have 1-75gal, 1-55gal, 2-20s,1-29 and at one point also a 40gal,and not to mention one of my parrots lives in my bedroom Yeah I got a big room :P lol but I dont want to get in over my head right away, thats why I wanted to start slow off with Olivia, and once the cage is done, the rest of the girls should be large enough to breed and I can get going on a some what larger scale. Just a shame I had to tell my friends the eggs were a no go...they were sad Thanks though!

*try and try again*

Old 04-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
ColleenT
you do know they can retain sperm right? and this means that she can breed one time and have up to 8 months of healthy fertile eggs. every 35-40 days. go to Walmart and get a bunch of 20 Qt size sterilite tubs, and drill holes in them. they cost $2.96 per container.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #16
boybronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playnwifsnot
I checked my eggs last night for viens....they are not fertile
thats ok, once Olivia gets some more weight on her I will introduce her to Scarface again and try it another round. It is always a 100% their first clutch is infertile or is it just a high chance? Colleen or Ed do you know why this happens to begin with?
Dont throw them out.

Keep them and see what happens, unless they are molding over and obviously infertile. If they still look fine just keep them, can't hurt.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #17
Playnwifsnot
they were no longer white, they were turning brownish and laked viens. i thought about keeping them but I figured I can always try again. I am in no big hurry, I just enjoy these guys.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #18
Playnwifsnot
Ok I introduced these guys to one another again and he attacked her! what the heck?!? Do you think it was because she was placed in his tank and not hers? I didnt put him in her tank as she has tank mates to which are not quite big enough to breed yet, didnt want to seperate all of them and she being the dominate one of her tank(she doesnt attack them,but she tells them she is the oldest so she is the most important). Would I be better off setting up a 3rd tank for the two of them to let them breed in nutral territory so this way my other little girls are not bred to young? And I am thinking of letting Sunflower breed now also as she is 6" now.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #19
ColleenT
well, the males breed quite rough, sometimes. i try to watch to make sure they are ok, but if he is much larger then her, he may hurt her. in which case i would not keep them together. you can try putting him in a small cage for a few days, let her scent get into the breeding cage, and then re-introduce them.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #20
Playnwifsnot
Well the first time I introduced them, yeah he was a bit aggressive, so if he kept biting her to roughly,I would scoop her out and put her back in her tank. Took a few attempts before he would settle down. But I can set up my 15 high tonight after work and plop him in it for a few days, let Olivia romp around for a few days in it, maybe I will let Sunflower in there also since those two are good buddies. Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!