Hybrids..... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #21
Wilomn
I just noticed that the last few pages have been about snake hybrids NOT leopard geckos.

Could these posts be removed to a thread about snakes?

Sorry, too many forums covering the same topics.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #22
SPJ
Quote:
totally. i was just saying that to vinny (diabloboa) on the phone like 20 minutes ago... funny. plus one is arboreal and ones ground dwelling as well. it would be like crossing a hognose with a kingsnake (which are both colubrids) but worse.

im surprised anyone ever thought to cross them.
Far too many differences in these too animals.

This just goes too far. A corn/king cross or a burm/retic cross are one thing but these 2 snakes are soooo far apart, that the thought of even trying to cross them should not have even been considered.

What if the cross is more carpet than woma? They now lack the heat pits which are found in carpets? (NERD said none of the surviving babies have heat pits) What kind of effect will this have on the well-being of the animal?

This is just messing with nature way too much.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:44 PM   #23
SPJ
Quote:
Sorry, but Jungle Carpets and Coastal Carpets are NOT[b] different species. They are [b]BOTH Morelia spilota. They also interbreed where their natural ranges overlap.
And the jungle/diamond crosses are some of the most beautiful carpets around.

I am not against all hybrids/crosses. I just think this particular hybrid just too it too far. They are just too far apart on the evolutionary scale.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:48 PM   #24
aliceinwl
I've heard a many instances of fattails and leos breeding. I got one of my three original leos from a woman who and 1.1 leos and 0.1 fattail caged together. I bought the female leo and she had never produced eggs for her previous owner because the male leo was only interested in breeding with the fattail. Maybe fattails and leos just aren't compatable genetically.

My only real concern with the hybrids is contamination. Sometimes closely related species will be crossed to get an albino or some other designer gene into the other species. With all the successive generations, the fact that the animals descended from a hybrid cross can get lost and lead to the genepool becoming contaminated...

-alice

Old 05-17-2005, 10:05 PM   #25
Gregg M
Quote:
Originally Posted by No1snotsucker
Then you touch base on the fact that we don't know whats going on with hybrids inner workings and they will surly suffer from it. Okay lets take a step back and think about the leos we prize the most, albinos. that is a huge defect that affects their health. Please don't tell me your worryed about their quality of life of hybrids when you own and breed albinos of any species. Also a handful of members on the BC fourm and Constrictors fourm own bateaters and from what I know haven't had any problems.

Please don't get me wrong I am against most crosses but not hybrids.

have fun lynching me
No one is going to lynch you.....LOL But I see many problems in your post..... Something being albino, and two different species being crossed are not even close...... You want to produce "bateaters"??? well thats fine..... You most likely will not produce any anyway......

Albinism does not cause major DNA bonding points to not bond but hybridization does....... Albinism does not cause cancer and it does not cause intestines to be placed in areas were they should not be.....
Oh wait, it also does not cause skeletal structure deformities or weak DNA strands but hybridization does.....

Weak DNA strands and mismatched RNA bonding points are found in ALL hybrids..... It is proven that this will cause some type of defect or illness at some point in the organisms life...... The info is out there.....

Like I said Some hybrids might work out with little to no problems for most of their life, but at what expence???

Someone also said something about IJ Carpets and Coastal Carpets crossing in the wild.....LOL They are on two separate continents..... Besides, I am not talking about subspecies or locality intergrades..... I am talking about animals that are not even in the same genus......

I was not going to bring up the carpet/woma and NERD thing here...... I already gave my opinion on that on the other site....

And infertility is just one of the many issues that can be involved in hybrids..... Like I said, things might look ok on the outside but on the inside and on a DNA level it is not pretty......

It is unethical and irresponsible to be part of this fad..... I just hope this hybrid crap fades out before captive population are tainted to the point where you can not be sure if your animal is pure or not..... This can snowball very fast.....

But since everyone is on the NERD thing, do you think that 5 live animals out of 21 eggs is a good hatch rate????
I think that having less than a third of your eggs hatch is a VERY good indication that there are severe problems with these hybrids on a biological level...... And if it is due to not being incubated right, well what does that tell you?????

Old 05-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #26
Will Leary
Gregg,

If you are referring to my post, why don't you try reading it again (this time without your blood-thirsty hybrid hater goggles on)? It says "JUNGLES AND COASTALS" interbreed where their natural ranges overlap. They are in fact on the same continent, and like it or not, they DO interbreed. I was correcting someone on the first page who said they were different species, ...Irian Jayas were never mentioned.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:58 PM   #27
DiabloBoa
my only real concern is the very real possibility that someone will cross and backcross the leopard and fattailed geckos to produce animals that more closely resemble one or the other for the newest color or pattern morph for purposes of getting rich quick, which im sure plenty of people are in this for. making visual differentiation impossible so the can say what they want.

i just dont have much trust in people to be honest and responsible enough to control their creations.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:26 AM   #28
peachstategeckos
Actually alot of people have said they have seen pictures or have a leo x fattail cross. I'm not saying it's right and I don't have any links to these pics but I'm just saying I think i's already been done although the hatch rate is really little and if they do get babies they usually die.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:42 AM   #29
DiabloBoa
where are the pics exactly? im very curious about what they look like.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:35 AM   #30
No1snotsucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
No snotsucker, the above is what you said. Read it carefully. It makes no sense.
Yeah I don't see how that slipped by me TWICE but that sentence is all screwed up. Something like "Hybrids, including Bats are generally sterile." was ment to come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
I'm still waiting on the species of hybrid that is "generally" sterile.
Okay I'm still curious as to where your going with this? Just to entertain you; mule, bateater, ligor, and a Tigon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!