WANTED: Large snake for Xmas - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Pythons

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #21
jme04c
Gorgeous! I'd keep her for sure if i were you, she'll grow fast

Old 11-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #22
fuscusking13
Sex of Green Burm

Hey Kyle,

It is a very nice looking green, there are ugly ones out there, and truthfully that is not one of them. As far as the sex goes I would guess male. It looks like there is a bit of an indent near the start of the tail, which often times is a sign of a male. Also at that size a male burm will have pretty good sized spurs(90% of the time) If you arent sure about there size, post a pic and I will give you my best guess, although probing is really the only way to be sure, and make sure if you have someone do it, they know what they are doing, you can hurt a snake if done improperly. As far as the "big snake" goes, be careful. If you get a cheap snake it is probably going to have some kind of problems, be it a URI, other health issues, maybe poor feeding habits, and possibly a foul temperment. My suggestion is to get a baby and raise it. Big snakes are frequently what you make them. Retic's especially. They are very intelligent and consistancy and proper care much reduces the risk of future problems, however snakes are snakes and are never 100% predictable. I was very fortunate to get my start in the herp world doing rescue, so I never got the sugar coated world that snakes are perfect, I have seen many aggressive snakes, but most turned around after a few years of proper care, some still hate all living things. Also make sure you have people to help you handle a large snake, as anything 10 feet and up can be a serious threat if something goes wrong-these are large constrictors and can be very powerful and dangerous, as that is what nature designed them to be.

As far as your green's lack of feeding response be careful-assuming she will always be like that will get you in trouble. I have seen snakes that didnt strike food or offer a food response for two to three years and out of no where, came flying out the door for food. I almost got myself in trouble a few years back like this. We had two female burms housed together, one albino and one green(both around 12-14 feet). I had spent 16 months trying to switch the albino onto rabbits, and she never idenifed them as food. One day I pulled the green out and put her in her feeding bucket, and offered the rabbit to the albino in her cage, no reaction, no take. I shut the door and opened the bucket for the green. I had forgot to latch the door and the albino opened it without a sound. I was right about to throw the rabbit in with the green when the albino female flew at me and grabbed the rabbit right out of my hand. I was fortunate that her aim was right on-rare for a burm lol. I know this makes me sound like an idiot, but we are all human and make mistakes- I am telling you this so you can learn that in the world of herps-nothing is certain, except that nothing is certain. Whatever your decsion get all the info and experiance you can first, and make sure you are prepared for all aspects, big snakes eat a lot, and an underfed big snake is a timebomb, as is an overfed one- you have to find the proper balance. Hopefully all of this is helpful, as that is what these forums are for. If you ever need any advice or have any questions, post them here, and If I can be of further assistance you can always email me at fuscusking@yahoo.com or dr.p_setofsixes@yahoo.com (the 2nd being the one I check most often). Good luck with whatever your decsion is, and remember to check out the BOI before you buy so you dont get ripped off!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #23
kylehargrove
hey thanx for all the info and help.. that changing feeding responce thing was interesting, i will have to watch that now and not rely on it like i have been... yea ill email if something goes wrong so hopefully u wont hear from me again hahaha... thanx again

kyle
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread