Petco Aspen Bedding? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #21
Focal
BTW, no snakes have become ill, sick or die while using this bedding in the past six months. They are fed on the bedding and no problems yet.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #22
smb2585
We buy zoomed brand aspen bedding and get the biggest bag pet paradise has... we feed on it and everything and love it.. its pretty expensive at like $15 a bag and the big bag last maybe a week or so when spot cleaning?? (i think its the 24qt bag) but I noticed at shows its always cheaper (like half the price) so when we go to Tinley next weekend we may pick up some there...

I also tried this other mossy crap the guy gave me a sample of that they use and I dont really care for it..

Nick I love the aspen.. the thinner shavings or whatever that you were talking about... I have been afraid to try any other aspen bedding... and it does flatten out and becomes kind of campact too which makes spot cleaning so simple..

We use some sort of carefresh bedding in my daughter's Robo Dwarf Hamster cage... Havent though about using it elsewhere...

Pet Paradise guy said that aspen bedding is aspen bedding though... just depends on the cut and how thin or thick you like the shavings...

We did have a bee get a few pieces of bedding in her mouth during feeding once but she was fine and hasn't had any issues and this was last year.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
Dbz4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
Just an update, when this thread started I was thinking of switching to aspen. I've tried both types since then, finer cut aspen from another store and the larger cut shavings from petco.

The finer cut stuff is great. It's a little harder to clean up off the floor but tends to stay in the enclosure more. After the snakes have been on it for a few nights, it becomes compact and flat. This is great when finding feces and urates but offers no additional "cover" for the snake. It seems to hold humidity better.

The larger cut shavings tends to stay alot fluffier. My breeding females tend to build larger and more covered "nests" when they lay. It holds humidity fairly well, however, it breathes better than the finer cut and as a result loses humidity just a tad faster. Another disadvantage, it's harder to locate waste and since it's looser, it gets dragged out of the cage easier.
Maybe try both types of bedding in the enclosure? It could balence it out in some way

Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #24
P&A Pythons
I use paper as well. Thinkin of switchin my girls to aspen. How often u put new shavings in. Right now I changed and wash then bleach when ever poo or pee. If they dont poo or pee 1 time a week unless they dump there water.Should I just dump aspen once a week and do my regular cleaning?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #25
reptilebaby
I always did spot cleaning with the aspen and changed it entirely once a week, but if there was a particularly messy poo I'd dump it all and replace.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #26
schnebbles
Is the Tractor Supply aspen shredded or chipped? I like the zoomed, I have been getting it online.

I only have small snakes and am getting an adult tomorrow. Just how horribly messy is the adult poo? I have a yearling and hers stunk really bad but I couldn't imagine dumping the cage b/c of it. I have vivs for my snakes, not racks. So, I'm hoping that the adult isn't so bad I need to change the whole viv for 1 poo.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #27
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
I only have small snakes and am getting an adult tomorrow. Just how horribly messy is the adult poo?
what type of snake?
My adult boa's poo is like a very large dog or a very small horse.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #28
schnebbles
lol! they are corns. I didn't even think of the type, I'm usually on the corn forum so I assume everything is corns! I like the bigger ones but they aren't for me. I'll stick with the smaller corns.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #29
AbsoluteApril
I keep my adult corns on aspen bedding and spot clean as needed (unless they make a real mess of it) and dump the entire thing about once a month or so. They are also kept in aquaria type caging. I use a kitty litter scoop to take out the messes and it works pretty good, of course there always seems to be some spillage of aspen onto the floor no matter how careful I am.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #30
schnebbles
I've noticed aspen on the floor already and can't figure out how it gets there! I will pick up a small scoop. I was actually buying a cat scoop recently and I couldn't find any at walmart and the one I got at Target is giant. It won't break but it's just too big.

With my babies, I usually just reach in with a paper towel and grab it. I'll add scoop to my list!
thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!