cmg reptiles......poss dh sharp x albino boas ????? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:03 AM   #21
Brian Oakley
I would like to say a few things now that we have the %'s down.

First of all, according to Brian Sharp, he tried to breed the kahl and Sharp strain albinos together and got all normals. That told him that the two strains were not compatable. The offspring were all sold off as normals according to Brian. I got my info directly from Brian.
Now, with that said, who says the two hets with both strains are not compatable? Apparently it has never been done. If you bred 100% het kahl x 100% het sharp you would (techinically) get 50% normals/66% het for who knows what (too tired to figure it out) and you would get 25% kahl albinos and 25% Sharp albinos. Nobody says that any part of either of the albinos could not be a combo of both. Too the nest of my knowledge, and I have done extensive research on it up to including talking to Brian, this has not been attempted before. There are theories as to where some things come from (I will leave that to your immagination for tonight), but like I said it has not been done.
All we know for fact is that the two ALbinos, when bred together, gave normals.

Now, Mickey, you want het Sharps. I could have sworn I saw some today or yesterday, but can't remember which classifieds. I would be safe to say that calling Rich Ihle would be a good start/chance to your hunt for 100%'ers.

Best of luck either way you go.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:04 AM   #22
Brian Oakley
I am tired. I know the %'s are off, but you get the idea when I talk of breeding both hets together.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:40 AM   #23
Mickey_TLK
Im allready on Richs waiting list for sharp animals, same with tornetta, and a few others working with them.

As with many other people, I would just love to get a shot as many het sharp females as possible, and the earlier the better. If I were to buy theese, Im sure since they are next to nothing price wise, I would end up buying many more next season still (just dont tell the wife...lmao)

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 02-06-2004, 08:49 AM   #24
The BoidSmith
Mickey,

This is probably the ad Brian is referring to:

Quote:
ALBINO AND SNOW BOA PROJECT FOR SALE
WE SHIP NATIONWIDE
Posted by EXCLUSIVELY EXOTICS (Contact Me!) on February 05, 2004 at 08:10:41

Hello we are currently looking for an albino Male ball python, or gilas. Rather get a sub adult-Adult. We have to trade the following animals:
1.0 Fine Line Albino (30+" feeding on FT Jumbo mice)
1.1 100% Het Khahl Albino(36+" feeding on FT Jumbo mice)
0.4 Poss Double het(Khahl X Sharp)Albinos (Still small feeding on FT Fuzzies)
0.1 Anery Boa poss het stripe(Feeding on Crawlers)
0.1 100% DH Snow(Feeding on live mice)
The value is well above market price on albino male BALL PYTHONS, Or we will sell for $3700.00. please send pics of available males
All Hets come with paperwork etc. NAy Questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Regards

Old 02-06-2004, 10:39 AM   #25
Suncoast Herpetological
If I have my genetics right, the offspring from a double het X double het for both strains should result in the following offspring

1 animal that is visual for both strains (double homozygous)
1 Kahl Albino
2 Kahl Albinos het Sharp
1 Sharp Albino
2 Sharp Albinos het Kahl
2 het Sharps
2 Het Kahl
4 double hets
1 normal

That is, of course, simply the genetic probability from a 16 space Punnett Square. Obviously all the normal phase animals would be possible hets.

Visually you would have

1 Albino homozygous for both strains
3 Sharp Albinos
3 Kahl Albinos
9 possible hets

Whew...haven't run one of those from scratch in a while...they are fun though

Old 02-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #26
Suncoast Herpetological
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the numbers in the last post are based on a standard litter of 16.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #27
Rob @ RK Reptiles
The picture will show the percentages from a double het breeding in case anyone wants to know.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #28
The BoidSmith
mmhhh??? My genetics are a little rusty. How come a double recessive which has both alleles ocuppied with the genes of the albinism for one strain can still hold the genes for another strain of albinism? I'm not saying it's not possible, what I'm saying is I'm having difficulty in understanding it and need someone to explain it to me.

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:00 PM   #29
Suncoast Herpetological
Alvaro

If that is the xase then you are correct. However, my understanding is that no one is actually aware if that is the case. My breakdown is based on two simple rexessives. If the genetic makeup is as you described, there is no accurate way of postulating the results.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:12 PM   #30
CulebraOnna
From my understanding, Sharp and Kahl strains are two different genes. Each gene has two alleles. The genes are independent of each other. If you really want to go into it further, the genes are located at different loci and restrict the melanin at different places.

Basically, I find it a lot easier to simplify by substituting different genes. Say the Sharp is still Sharp albino, but we can use anerythrism as a substitute for Kahl strain.

If the boa is albino, that doesn't mean it has to be anerythristic as well, because they're two separate genes. If the boa is anerythristic, it doesn't have to be albino. However, you can combine them to become snow--- they're not compatible, i.e. het albino x het anery won't produce a snow. The alleles belong to different genes.

I hope this might have helped a little? And I'm not sure at all that this is right, but I am fairly decent at genetics and that's strongly what it looks like.

Alyssa Gottschlich

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!