Possible scam! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-24-2003, 10:48 PM   #21
E2MacPets
They verified that the amount listed on your check was correct as well?

It could still be similar to the insurance check.. a forgery that is a modification of a valid check.

Old 03-24-2003, 11:05 PM   #22
Nicole Elliser
A cashiers check is just like a personal check

A close friend of mine works at Hibernia National bank and I asked her about cashiers checks once and she informed me that a cashiers check was just like a personal check. She said they get at least 10 fraudulent cashiers checks in per week.

I called my local bank branch to make sure she supplied me with the correct info.
They told me the same thing!! The only check that is considered safe is a Certified cashiers check in which the bank freezes the funds once the check is issued.

I don't know the details of you deal with this guy but I wouldn't send any cash to him until plenty of time has passed.

Once you send money out of the country you will never get it back!!
Nicole Elliser
K&N Reptiles

Old 03-24-2003, 11:23 PM   #23
dragonfire
When I called the bank that issued the cashiers check they said they cannot verify amounts on cashiers checks, as the money is deducted from the account when the cashiers check is issued. They said if it was a personal check they could verify funds, but with cashiers checks the funds are already deducted from that account.
I'm going to just cash it and wait. Not send any $ to Nigeria or anything, just give it a few days to see what works out. The worst that can happen is that it's a fraud and I have to resell the snakes and hand the $ back to the bank. And if it's not, and the check clears through, they come pick up their snakes and I've made a good sale.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Old 03-24-2003, 11:29 PM   #24
hanoverherps
What to do???

Hey guys and gals!

Boy I feel like I'm part of the club now! I posted a 3 tier California breeder bird cage for sale on a parrot site. Here is the e-mail I just opened................

From: chuk felix <felix240240@420email.com> Add to Address Book
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:13:43 -0800
To: hanoverherps@earthlink.net
Subject: Inquiry-California Cage 3 Tier Utility $650

My name is Chuck Felix,i'm a black america in west africa.i work with
CHEVRON TEXACO NIGERIA LTD, i will like to buy the California Cage 3 Tier
Utility.get back to me with the present condition of the California Cage 3
Tier Utility and the last offer so that i will make arrangement for the
payment.looking forward to hearing from you.

Greenest Regards.
Chuck Felix......

Boy does this sound familiar or what?? Should I pursue it and join the club, per say?? Maybe bury these people a bit more? What do you guys think??

Bob

Old 03-24-2003, 11:41 PM   #25
dragonfire
That was kinda my thought, but when I contacted the authorities they said that I first needed to show the check was not real, but the bank of issue believes their security measures are so great that it must be real. It's got a valid acct # and all
So I'm going to go for it, I don't see why not. Hell, at the very least, if they can't prosecute these guys in another country, maybe these people will get sick of the expense of sending all these bogus checks out, and not getting their $, they'll stop. I know it's asking alot, but ya gotta do what you can

Allison Brunner

Old 03-24-2003, 11:48 PM   #26
Spilotes
You won't "bury" anyone - they are immune to repercussions (effectively anyway). You don't have to wonder if maybe, just maybe, the check is good and the deal legit - it ain't. And it isn't "a guy", it's a company of sorts. Read the State Dept's info on these various scams.

I'm not sure what the bank will say if you do cash it and spend the money. I wonder if there is a limit on the amount of time they can ask you to re-pay them?

Joe Monahan

Old 03-25-2003, 12:41 AM   #27
herpcondo
The guy who tried to buy from me said he would get me a "cashiers check" and after i told him i was wary of the scams from his part of the world, he backed up, and said maybe either a credit card or a regular check,,,, i still subscribe to the old saying,,,
"looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,,, must be a duck" the whole thing seems very fishy that this many of us have been contacted by these people...
I sure wish you the best,,, hope the check is good!
if it is, i am very glad for you!

Best Wishes!

Old 03-25-2003, 12:50 AM   #28
TheVipersHouse
to dragonfire

well personally if it seems to be a legit cashiers check to protect yourself i would take it somewhere that cashes them and not to your bank to cash it cause unless you deposit it once its cashed it cannont fall back on you unless like i said u deposit it into your account .. if u just plain cash it and then it turns out to be fraud then the only people that will be held responsible is the bank it was drawn from and the account it is registered to to get the funds ...think of it as protection advice pay a few bucks and cash it at a check cashing facility that way it cannot come back to you cause if you deposit it and they add the funds to your account then it turns out bad and u spend the money they have the right to take the money back , but if u cash it away from your account only accountable people are the bank it was issued from and the person who requested the cashiers check from the start and if it is bogus then the bank that issued it has insurance coverage to take care of the probelm but you will have to choose your own path ...

Old 03-25-2003, 01:05 AM   #29
JasonBrennan
The check cashing facility would still come after you for passing them a bogus check. You are actually the first person they will go after, because you are the person that was paid.

I had a company stop payment on a check 3 days after I cashed it, and at the end of the week the check cashing facility went to deposit the check into their bank account. When the check showed up as "stop payment", they (the check cashing facility) first called me, then the police (one right after the other), and I had a cop at my house with in the hour!

Since the stop payment was done 3 days after the check was cashed, the company that issued the check ultimately had to honor it (I had done nothing wrong). However, my point is that the check cashing facility will actually come after you FIRST.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:14 AM   #30
TheVipersHouse
cashing the check

ok maybe ur right on that point but think of what u just said its not your fault if it turns to be bogus which in fact they cannot hold u reliable you are only cashing a check that was mailed to you with the intened purpose for cashing it so actually the person cashing it has no idea if its good or bad and they run checks on all checks that they cash and igf a bank is showing its good then by law they cant do chit to you .. now if it was bad and a bank told u it was bad and u still try to cash it then it is ur problem but as it stands right now that check is good but to protect their account they need to cash it away from their bank just in case

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!