What kind of Boa is this? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #21
Tiki108
Yeah, I will, Eddie (my boa) is going to the vet today. I can't get off work with short notice, but thankfully my Mom agreed to take him in for me. I'll let you guys know what they say. This vet seems good from what I've read about her, so we'll see.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #22
crotalusadamanteus
If they send him home with oral medication, which is the most common case, make your mom INSIST on a urethral catheter if they don't offer it already. A syringe will not get the meds down far enough, and you'll risk aspiration of the meds. You want to get them as far down as possible.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #23
Tiki108
I'm going to take a close up of his side, it reminds me of a rainbow boa, would that be possible? Rainbow x Hog?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #24
Gary O
Now it will not be a cross of a rainbow and a hogg..... your Hoggs, CA Boas, Columbian, and many others are BCI. They are all the same species just different Locales. Now I will admit I think many of them should be reclassified.

Now CA boa is a very general term also.

But you could have a Nic boa and a Columbian boa and breed them and it would not be a cross but just a mix of locales.

IMO that looks to be a Hogg Island. But again that is just a guess on locale. Corn is also a BCI. So in hence just another locale of the same species of BCI

Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #25
Gary O
That was supposed to be No it will not be a cross of a rainbow and hogg

Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #26
Tiki108
Ok so here's what I know so far. He's getting a tracea swab, but they said he needs to be on 2 different kinds antibioctics. They said they hadn't heard of a urethral catheter, but would show me how to give him shots, so I'm going down there tonight to pick him up. Poor guy has a lot wrong with him, he's going to cost me around $300+. If he doesn't get better he's going to need scans done of his lungs, but he has a couple infections. I went ahead and texted the guy since I traded one of my carpet pythons for this guy, I'm going to try to buy my carpet from him. I take really good care of my animals and it just kills me to see what bad shape this guy was in.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
crotalusadamanteus
Catheters of various sizes that I still have around from when I rehabbed.

But since they're giving you injections, and instructions, no need for the catheter.

Sorry to hear he has so many ailments. That's the problem with Boas. Due to their slow metabolism, everything is slow. By the time you see obvious signs, they're well progressed into their illness.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #28
Tiki108
!UPDATE! Ok so Eddie is doing well, I cleaned out my Monitor's cage and put her in a smaller cage, she's still really little so she didn't need a huge cage. So he's in a 6ft tall by 4 ft wide and 2 ft deep cage. He doesn't seem to be rubbing at all and I will be giving him 2 different antibiotics via shots, every 3 days and 2 oral gels for his gums daily. Hopefully we'll see some improvement, if not he'll be getting radiographs as well.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #29
Michael Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki108 View Post
!UPDATE! Ok so Eddie is doing well, I cleaned out my Monitor's cage and put her in a smaller cage, she's still really little so she didn't need a huge cage. So he's in a 6ft tall by 4 ft wide and 2 ft deep cage. He doesn't seem to be rubbing at all and I will be giving him 2 different antibiotics via shots, every 3 days and 2 oral gels for his gums daily. Hopefully we'll see some improvement, if not he'll be getting radiographs as well.
Not positive on what your keeping him on but I thought I'd give you a few helpful tips.

When treating a snake for ailment (URI and such) you should try to avoid bedding that can get caught in it's mouth / infection or such. I would definantly recommend moving him to a 40breeder? or 20L? depending on how big he is. If it's respiratory based +++ Humidity and +++ Warmth will help him heal. Soaking him is fantastic and will help clean his mouth and perhaps decrease swelling (somewhat). I would use either newspaper or PAPER TOWEL (paper towel being my preferance) for a while. If you have a rack system it would be great or simply cover part of the 20L or 40B with acrylic / plexi / plastic to keep humidity high. DONT cover the whole thing It also wouldnt hurt to throw a warm wet rag / wash cloth in the cage to up humidity.

A cage that large (6' by 3' by 2') might pose a problem with keeping the conditions adequet, I ONLY SAY THIS because you clearly love your animals and are willing to invest the money and time to get him healthy.

Did they give you anytype of BS antibiotic? if so let me know what they gave you im curious!. A lot of times with some TLC you can turn an animal around in this condition. Is he eating on his own? when was the last time he was fed?

Keep me updated and I hope I helped somewhat

Old 06-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #30
Michael Brown
Oh and if you need help with advice as to how to administer the shot im sure Richard or myself can help!

( or whoever )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!