Restrictive return policies - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
wyldwurm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
It's hardly the truth when it's biased to your own practices:

I think what you meant was, avoid buying from YOU online since that's where all your "bottom of the barrel" specimens end up.
I am not going to comment on anyone's opinion other than this...

I know Andy personally, in fact I JUST returned home from visiting his place. His animals are top quality and VERY well taken care of. There are no "bottom of the barrel" animals in his care. Unless you have been there and seen his animals, making a statement like that really makes you look dim.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #22
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by asixtwo View Post
WOW....
Some of you folks are just so helpful and friendly!

Do any of you honestly believe that the way to move forward in this hobby is to buy animals sight unseen from a website?

It's obvious that some people here are simply concerned with selling their animals. It's laughable for anyone to even suggest that every seller is putting their "A grade" animals online.

I love how anything I post has been transferred to this thread.

Is your concern really for the newbies who can't afford to take a loss on a bad deal, or are you just trying to discourage them from wrapping their brains around the notion that doing business face to face is a better way to do things?
Sheesh.... I can't remember reading a more myopic business plan EVER in the past. If you ONLY buy and sell locally, you have eliminated 99 percent of the marketplace you can reach. And you will have painted yourself into a corner, businesswise.

How quickly will you saturate your local marketplace? Damn quickly, in my opinion. It can't help but go that way as your customers grow up the animals that came from you and then start offering sales to your other customers. Probably at cheaper prices. Then what do you do? Probably kill yourself trying to dance faster than the competition you created for yourself.

Unless you are living in a very LARGE metropolitan area with a huge population of enthusiasts for the exact animals you are producing, your business plan is pretty much guaranteed to put you on the "also ran" list in this business in short order. Unless you are just a small time hobbyist selling your animals merely to break even on the food bill, of course. But even that will cease being fun eventually.

The internet opened up a marketing world that was unimaginable 30 years ago. You can display a new cultivar overnight to the entire WORLD via the internet now. Literally tens of thousands of potential customers are at your fingertips, INSTANTLY. Doing this locally, how many can you reach? A handful? By word of mouth and phone calls?

Yeah, that's the ticket. Hope it works out for you.

And while I'm thinking about it, just why the heck are you HERE, then? If you only buy and sell locally, what is here to bring you to this site?

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #23
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldwurm View Post

I know Andy personally, in fact I JUST returned home from visiting his place. His animals are top quality and VERY well taken care of. There are no "bottom of the barrel" animals in his care. Unless you have been there and seen his animals, making a statement like that really makes you look dim.
He said the leftovers get sold online, the snakes that no one obviously wanted, which I refer to as the bottom of the barrel. I never took a stab at his quality so simmer down.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #24
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldwurm View Post

Kim, I believe that statement referenced Andy's comment about nobody putting their "A grade" animals up for sale online...I don't think it was intended as a comment about the quality of his animals; just his own reference that the good stuff doesn't get advertised, so anything he advertised couldn't be the good stuff.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #25
hhmoore
There seems to be a lot of back and forth over this, but WHY?
The OP seems to have misconstrued the point of the passage she quoted. Andy never implied that he would not correct any mistakes that he made, but that is the spin being put on it.
Much ado about nothing....

Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #26
asixtwo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Your policy of not making payment until the buy-back has been in your possession for at least 30 days. Most people deciding that they no longer want an animal, would be looking for payment at the time of sale...not a month or more down the road. I'm not necessarily criticizing your policy, just pointing out that most people would opt for the immediate payment of a regular sale.

Not everybody has breeders within local driving distance; and, even if they do, it doesn't mean that they want to do business with them.

Nobody said every seller put their top notch stuff online....but it is just as laughable to suggest that no seller puts their "A grade" animals online.
In many cases, the best of the best never get to "the ads" - no argument there; but that doesn't mean that it wasn't start to finish an online transaction.

I love how anything I post has been transferred to this thread.

Is your concern really for the newbies who can't afford to take a loss on a bad deal, or are you just trying to discourage them from wrapping their brains around the notion that doing business face to face is a better way to do things?
[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Sheesh.... I can't remember reading a more myopic business plan EVER in the past. If you ONLY buy and sell locally, you have eliminated 99 percent of the marketplace you can reach. And you will have painted yourself into a corner, businesswise.

How quickly will you saturate your local marketplace? Damn quickly, in my opinion. It can't help but go that way as your customers grow up the animals that came from you and then start offering sales to your other customers. Probably at cheaper prices. Then what do you do? Probably kill yourself trying to dance faster than the competition you created for yourself.

Unless you are living in a very LARGE metropolitan area with a huge population of enthusiasts for the exact animals you are producing, your business plan is pretty much guaranteed to put you on the "also ran" list in this business in short order. Unless you are just a small time hobbyist selling your animals merely to break even on the food bill, of course. But even that will cease being fun eventually.

The internet opened up a marketing world that was unimaginable 30 years ago. You can display a new cultivar overnight to the entire WORLD via the internet now. Literally tens of thousands of potential customers are at your fingertips, INSTANTLY. Doing this locally, how many can you reach? A handful? By word of mouth and phone calls?

Yeah, that's the ticket. Hope it works out for you.

And while I'm thinking about it, just why the heck are you HERE, then? If you only buy and sell locally, what is here to bring you to this site?
For such a long and eloquent response one would think that you would have taken the time to read the thread before you posted such a misguided response.

If you bothered to read the original post, it refers to a buy-back guarantee on any HET that I have sold. The buyback offer is good for the life of the snake. So i suppose you'd buy back a 2 or 3 or 4 year old animal without evaluating it, and toss it right back into your collection?

I never said I sold locally. I simply said I don't sell to people I don't know, and I don't ship. How many times has a shipper killed your animals and stuck you with the bill? Are your customers willing to pay the cost of Delta dash?

Do you have any idea how many breeders get scammed by buyers?

Do you know which major breeders are trying to hide the fact that they have IBD or crypto in their collections?

I local buddy bought over $10,000 worth of high end BP from a big name breeder, and had not only those 3 snakes die and wipe out another $30 to $40k of his collection.

Have you ever met me?
Do you know how many trips I make to the west coast, or florida, or ohio, or Pa, or chicago, etc every year?

I have a waiting list for pretty much everything I breed, and I get top dollar for everything I sell. How many zoos and museums are buying your animals?

I've placed animals into private collections that have cages that cost more than some houses.

I'm not worried about my business model....

Old 08-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #27
Dennis Hultman
Quote:

I never said I sold locally. I simply said I don't sell to people I don't know, and I don't ship. How many times has a shipper killed your animals and stuck you with the bill? Are your customers willing to pay the cost of Delta dash?

Have you ever met me?
Do you know how many trips I make to the west coast, or florida, or ohio, or Pa, or chicago, etc every year?

So was this business plan developed since last October?

Quote:
Baby Colombian RTB need new homes!
These little boas are all well started and POUNDING f/t!

Clean markings, great temperaments, not a biter in the entire litter.

...Males $75 Females $95 Pairs $150
We're FedEx certified shippers!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7608602_n.jpg

Quote:
I have a waiting list for pretty much everything I breed, and I get top dollar for everything I sell. How many zoos and museums are buying your animals?

I've placed animals into private collections that have cages that cost more than some houses.
Elitist sounding much? That's kind of a rather amusing comment to pose to Rich?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #28
Lucille
Quote:

Heat, Tylenol, and rest.
It can really hurt, patting yourself on the back so hard.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
WebSlave
Quote:
So you deliver your animals to people "you know" all across the country and/or world? I'm sure that is cost effective for you.

Quote:
I have a fair idea. Why do you think I set up the Board of Inquiry forum?

Quote:
Do you know which major breeders are trying to hide the fact that they have IBD or crypto in their collections?
Nope. And I'll bet that YOU don't neither.

Quote:
I local buddy bought over $10,000 worth of high end BP from a big name breeder, and had not only those 3 snakes die and wipe out another $30 to $40k of his collection.
So, that couldn't happen in a face to face transaction?

Quote:
Have you ever met me?
Perhaps. Would there be something relevant to that fact had it happened ?

Quote:
Nope. Should I?

Quote:
None now. I'm retired. But in the past, I never really inquired. I never felt I needed to try to make future sales by crowing about the elevated status of past customers.

Quote:
Must be some pretty cheap houses in your area. We've got trailer parks here in Florida as well. Some of which ANY cage would be a better place to live in...

Quote:
Well, good for you then. I bow to your greater marketing experience and acumen...

In any event, again, what brings you to slumming on this little backwater website then? Surely you have better things to do making well heeled friends for that list of people "you know" that you can can then deliver your animals to?

Surely you can't be looking through the classifieds here? Nor the BOI, as what difference does it make to you about the reps of people you won't be doing business with anyway? Surely you wouldn't sell to someone getting their hands all grubby selling on a WEBSITE to people they don't even know, now would you?

So, how long has this business model been working for you?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #30
Dennis Hultman
Quote:

I just find this whole thing quite funny
. "How many animals do zoo's and museums by from you?"

Posing that question to somebody responsible for so many lines.. Asking the guy mentioned in many books and publications and responsible for so many projects in this industry.

How many lines of snakes are named after you?

I believe Rich is responsible for the Caramel, lavender, Amber, Miami, and many selectively bred lines that carry his name.

What animals are coined after or by you?

Besides, Rich has been retired for awhile.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!