Holy crap...these roaches won't stop breeding! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-22-2004, 11:16 AM   #21
Xelda
I've been breeding lobsters for well over 6 months now. Trust me, they get to be too many--even with reduced temps, reduced moisture, and reduced food. I must have at least 10,000 of them.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:20 AM   #22
romad119
lobsters...

are definitely hard to feed out for me. I would like to get into the orange spotted since they can't climb and are a slower species. My chams just don't go through enough. But my Oustalets has still to grow. Once he's huge then I think things will pick up.

Some of my large enclures aren't escape proof enough for the roaches plus they hide better then crickets.

I use vaseline. It lasts me about 3 weeks.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:27 AM   #23
Monte
when I was using crickets . . .

. . . I used that clear packing tape (smooth and shiny) around the top of my container - and the crickets couldn't get a grip on that. Never had one get ouf of the container.

Are roaches better climbers than crix?

Old 11-22-2004, 11:39 AM   #24
progeckos
Cooler temps really don’t help. I’ve had mine down to about 60 degrees before and it doesn’t stop them, slow down but not stop. In the winter my roach room is about 75-80 degrees and in the summer it’s close to 100. That’s when they produce like crazy. The hotter it is the faster the production.

Quote:
Are roaches better climbers than crix?
Monte, lobster roaches will crawl up vertical pieces of glass, plastic, rubber, basically anything with a problem. The only thing that stops them is something like Vaseline or greace.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #25
Monte
Cody . . .

. . . thanks for the info. Little buggers!!!

. . . when is your production going to ramp up? I was thinking about buying some from you to try with my cresteds...

Old 11-22-2004, 12:03 PM   #26
riverjop
Monte, I feed my cresteds lobsters. I put hem in a little cup with vasaline around the top. And I see them hanging over it eating. BUT!! they do get out anyway, and I have a colony living & breeding under the potted plants and they hunt these as well. When I water they come out from under the plant saucers like crazy. They do breed like crazy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000995.jpg (43.5 KB, 58 views)

Old 11-22-2004, 12:14 PM   #27
Monte
Thanks for helping me make my decisions . . .

. . . no roaches for me.

I'll stick to CGD.

I don't need no dang roach climbing into my sleep-induced slack jaw at night.

Pttuuuiiii!!!!

Old 11-22-2004, 04:25 PM   #28
Xelda
Haha.. Monte, there are quite a good variety of non-climbing species as well. I've got 4 other colonies in addition to the lobsters.

Old 11-22-2004, 04:39 PM   #29
hill4803
I plan on selling off

smaller colonies at the Birmingham show. I don't think anyone else had roaches (except for the hissers). I thought I would be able to keep the numbers down with the number og animals I have to feed and with breeding season & hatchlings just around the corner....I may be overrun with roaches, maybe I can make little roach lolipops and sell them as novelty items?!? LOL

Old 11-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #30
progeckos
Yeah that’s what I was going to say. If lobsters aren’t your cup of tea there are a variety of non-climbers: Orange head, orange spot, discoid, six spot, and death head are the most common ones. They can be feed just like cricket.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!