Bad Guy Casey Smith. Buyer Backs Out, what do you guys think? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #31
Bobby Douglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
Why do you think this? Granted the thread should be an info thread, but other than that, why should his name and email not be posted?
I don't think he intentionally did anything wrong other than getting in over his head. The seller should have at least waited to see how he responded to not getting his deposit back before posting here about it. The buyer was wrong, but I don't see why he deserves his own BOI thread.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #32
hhmoore
The thread is here, and the OP put it in the required format for this section...the buyer's name HAD to be included. One of Trace's earlier posts led me to suspect that part of the reason it hit the BOI was a lack of awareness of other applicable (sub)forums. Had it been posted in General Business Discussions, it could have been a simple questions about the situation - without subjecting the buyer to scrutiny. The problem with that is that at some point, somebody usually asks for the subject to be identified...or the subject becomes aware of the thread and jumps in to defend himself; and once the person it identified, with the problem outlined, it is no longer appropriate to that section.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #33
Royality Ball Pythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological View Post
This is an excellent solution that I have used myself. Professional and allows the buyer to recoup his loss in the future

Incidentally, for those who are harping on the fact that the email does not say "Non-Refundable".....who the Heck has ever been charged a refundable deposit to hold an animal? The whole concept of a deposit is to lock in the sale. If someone is offering a refundable deposit payment plan they really do not understand the concept of a deposit.
I expect ALL my customers to have read my terms on my website. Which is linked to in every one of my email messages to them. So I typically dont mention all my terms within email messages. If someone is going to make a purchase through me and not look into my reputation and check my website to read into my terms and business ethics than I would feel fine throwing this in their face after the fact :P lol. Because I find that very irresponsible as a purchaser of any live animal. for those who dont have a website with this information... I CAN see an issue with that if terms were not stated properly via email... yet.. being non-refundable should be a given to everyone imo.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #34
David Reid
Send him his deposit back. I had a similar situation where a lady gave me a deposit and then could not come through and finish the deal. I just refunded the deposit through paypal, and I do not think I got charged any fee. Yes you could probaby keep the deposit on a technicality, but do you need $60 that bad? If you do, send the dude his $60 back and I will paypal you $60.

Now, if the guy is being rude and a @#$%, tell him to go fly a kite.

Dave

Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #35
Focal
I think the email you sent was fair Trace. At first I was thinking, I would be offended if someone asked me for proof, but then again, I would never have gone into that much detail about the problem with my wife, and usually those fine details are there for a reason, to build sympathy. If he can't come through with what you requested, I wouldn't write him of as a liar. I would do what someone mentioned about credit towards a future purchase and I would put an expiration date of a year on that in case he comes back five years down the road when the value of the snake is less than the deposit.

The second option that I thought would be fair would be just to refund the buyer to put the matter to rest and prevent escalation HOWEVER, everyone has seen this, it's here forever, and you will be known as the guy that will refund deposits ... "why can't I get my deposit back? You did it for this guy?" Or, "well now I have a problem, and I do want the snake I put a deposit on, but I guess I can get my money back and just buy it later."

I think the lessons learned would be to paint a clearer image to the party of what will take effect and what they should expect if they can't follow through to prevent these silly requests for deposits in the future.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #36
deborahbroadus
I would "IF I HAD A TOS" follow my TOS. If I didn't have a TOS that covered that particular situation, then I refunded the money, but I operated as a business not "your friendly neighborhood store that extended credit to everyone".

***snicker***

Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #37
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie View Post
I would have returned 75 bucks
Do I hear 100, 100, 100?? Going once, going twice.........

Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #38
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Do I hear 100, 100, 100?? Going once, going twice.........
You owe me a brew!!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #39
jcfourme
Non refundable means exactly that. He agreed to the terms by sending you the deposit. I agree with what all the rest have been telling you. Keep the deposit and find a new buyer.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #40
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reid View Post
Send him his deposit back. I had a similar situation where a lady gave me a deposit and then could not come through and finish the deal. I just refunded the deposit through paypal, and I do not think I got charged any fee. Yes you could probaby keep the deposit on a technicality, but do you need $60 that bad? If you do, send the dude his $60 back and I will paypal you $60.

Now, if the guy is being rude and a @#$%, tell him to go fly a kite.

Dave
The only problem with this is that if she does it for one person, then others will follow. I've done the whole return thing only to have the same person try it again. I didn't refund that time. This thread is here for any potential buyers to read. I would hate to hear the "well you did it for him" post.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!