stupid single genetics ? stripe-line or het? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #31
groovygeckos
Well anyways, the way I had understood it. There is only a difference in the outcome of both appearances being present and not mixed. And the other was that both are present but blended together.

Something like:
red and white =both red and white
and
red and white= pink

It was really confusing me, but otherwise Im doing pretty well learning and understanding genetics.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #32
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovygeckos
I do think you will hatch 'patternless' from them as our Het APTOR produced one(only 3 good eggs bummer)or he would not claim it is inheritable/reproducable.

Yes it is a little confusing, but I know where he states Het RAPTOR, he means to say Het Red Eyes. Because he will state 'APTOR Het RAPTOR'. It would be more clear to say Red Eyed(insert pattern here) or Het APTOR or APTOR Het Red Eyes. To just say an APTOR is Het RAPTOR is weird to me because if it is 'Patternless' it is not also Het 'Patternless'. And the acronym does have the P in it.

Maybe should just be RATOR LOL J/K of course.

Again Im calling them Hets, but thats what it was marketed as, guess its stuck in my head.

I really dont know but the APTOR was originally sold as recessive. Pretty sure he had been saying the Red Eyes was also. We will see, hopefully.
I have been jokingly been calling my APTOR X Jungle Albinos, JATOR's. From what I have seen in my own breedings and 5 others that got APTOR's it appears the only thing the offspring from APTOR X Non-APTORs are "missing" is the Patternless Gene (and the possibly the Red eye gene).
Its like taking a morning drink concoction and throwing extra carrot in it... it will still strengthen the carrot taste but dilute the raw egg taste... make sense?

Old 10-30-2005, 03:15 PM   #33
groovygeckos
Sure does.
So I give them raw eggs to get more carrot? Kidding! Stop dont shoot

But NO morning drinks at Genes house for me.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #34
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovygeckos
Well anyways, the way I had understood it. There is only a difference in the outcome of both appearances being present and not mixed. And the other was that both are present but blended together.

Something like:
red and white =both red and white
and
red and white= pink
Yeah, the idea is that 'co' means "at the same time" and they both are expressed simultaneously. So if black and white are codominant to each other on a mouse, you might have a mouse with black hairs and white hairs.

Incomplete dominant would mean you would get a blending of the two, so if black and white are incomplete dominant on a mouse you might get what looks like a gray mouse.

The thing is, if black and white are codominant, you could have any of the following:
· a white mouse with black patches
· a black mouse with white patches
· a black mouse with 2 white hairs on it
· a white mouse with 2 black hairs on it

If black and white are incomplete dominant, you could have any of the following:
· a gray mouse
· a very dark gray, nearly black mouse
· a slightly off white mouse

What about a mouse that has black and white hairs but they are so closely intermingled that from 3 feet away it looks gray, and when you look closer you can see individual black and white hairs? Is that incomplete dominant or codominant? Does it matter?

The question is, if someone were to tell you that black were incomplete dominant to white, does it really give you any useful information that is so far above and beyond saying "black and white are codominant?" Not really. Does it tell you what a heterozygous black/white mouse is going to look like? Nope. My question is, "what is to be gained by drawing this distinction?"

Worrying about this is like saying "it isn't really pi unless you've calculated it to 100 digits" even though 3.14 is more than close enough to get the job done. Sure, pi to 100 digits may be "more accurate" but who really cares? IMO it has no practical value.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:58 PM   #35
groovygeckos
Well Thanks !

No, your right it doesnt really matter all that much. Ide just assume of the two examples, there would be a mouse with black & white hairs. And a mouse with gray hairs. But yea I guess the one with black & white could also appear grey. Tough call. Ill save myself the headache.

Was mostly interested to figure out which the Mack Snow/Super Snow line is since we are working it. Of course there is the added element of the 'dominant pastel' that also comes from breeding the line to complicate things

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!