Change in karma ratings - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #31
Mooing Tricycle
Wait... things are going to be zeroed out?

but i love my karma!

Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #32
WebSlave
Well, here's the reply I got from my programmer about the karma problem.

Quote:
Quote:
> I guess I probably blew up something in the Reputation system, because
the
> Rep Level numbers are all way too high. I went into the Update Counters
> section to try to correct some imbalances in the rep power calculation
> options via the Rebuild User Reputation routine. Did it twice, so I
guess
> it is TWICE as screwed up as it should be.
Rebuilding user reputation via counters section is a bit misleading. It
does not recalculate users' reputation according to your new settings,
instead, it just adds X amount of reputation to everybody's current value.
So when you run it twice, you added that many reputation to everybody
twice.

There is no way to recalculate all users reputations from the history
because we (vb) can't know reputation conditions in a given period. For
instance consider user A added reputation for user B in Oct.24.2006. There
is no way for vb to know how many posts and reputation he had at this date
so it can't calculate what reputation value that post should get in this
date when reputation is given.

If you know what value you added to everybody's reputation with update
counters, we can reverse this process (by subtracting exact value from
everybody) to make it as if it never happenned (so you'll return to rep.
values before yesterday).

But if you don't remember this or are not even happy with that value before
yesterday, then yes, the only option we have is to clear all reps and start
over.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #33
deborahbroadus
In the immortal words of Patrick Stewart in the role of Jean-Luc Picard on Star Trek the Next Generation, "Make it so."

Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #34
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
In the immortal words of Patrick Stewart in the role of Jean-Luc Picard on Star Trek the Next Generation, "Make it so."
Wait a second...did you just call Rich a P.O.S. (not post ovulation shed)? Picard usually directed that statement to Riker, aka Number Two, and we all know what that is.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #35
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Wait a second...did you just call Rich a P.O.S. (not post ovulation shed)? Picard usually directed that statement to Riker, aka Number Two, and we all know what that is.

I did NOT!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #36
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
I did NOT!
Just checking....

Rich, what would be getting zeroed out? Rep Power, reputation/karma level, or both?
(<whines>...I was at the bottom of the top a few weeks ago. lol)

Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #37
WebSlave
Quote:
Just checking....

Rich, what would be getting zeroed out? Rep Power, reputation/karma level, or both?
(<whines>...I was at the bottom of the top a few weeks ago. lol)
Both. I wanted to adjust the calculation method for determining karma power to be less weighted based on length of time a member, and more on the number of posts along with the amount of karma received from other members. It didn't seem fair to me that a member who has been here for 6 years and only posted three times would get bonus points from the system.

According to what my programmer says, the karma level of points should have only been multiplied by a factor in the program, but if that were the case, the members shown as the top level in karma should have changed at all. Only the value of the karma level should have changed. So either I misunderstand him, or that algorithm has "issues". Meaning that there may be no other choice but to wipe the slate clean. Wish the developers made this easy to manage in a logical manner....

Old 09-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #38
hhmoore
Yeah I remember seeing the way it was set up at one point...auto increases of X number of points for every set amount of time, and Y amount of points for every set # of posts; plus the points they were given by other members (those points were weighted according to the rep power of the giver)

Old 09-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #39
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I'd suggest waiting - leave yourself a reminder to come back AFTER everything is zeroed out, or somehow restored...no sense wasting perfectly good Kelli karma
It was just a joke Harald U

Quote:
mm, I have never praised anyone for being "ruthless" but I would think that the karma system (if used correctly) would increase the level and number of "intelligent" posts and decrease the level and number of "ruthless?" "senseless" posts. If used correctly and fairly irregardless of how much we may or may not like someone?
In a perfect world that should work as you suggest but history tell us it doesn't.

Best.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #40
hhmoore
Moderators can joke, too, Dan
(people just forget we're funny )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!