PA Northwestern Berks Reptile Expo Feb. 28th - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #31
Randolph's Redtail's
The summer shows are better for going and walking around, selling gets slow. There's lots of little hottties walkin around too!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #32
hhmoore
I rarely vend Hamburg during the summer - too hard to keep the critters cool. It gets HOT in that place.
I usually shoot for Sept.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #33
Randolph's Redtail's
Your not kidding,had to turn lights off last aug. show ,top tier of animals hit 104!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #34
mikeyt
I am gonna step out on a limb here and voice my personal opinion. Hamburg has been around for a very long time and is well established. I have attended this show since its beginning and have become very close with both many a spectators and vendors alike. Over the years I have heard and listened to all of the good things as well as the bad. There seems to be a very mutual consensus between many a vendor and patron alike. And it is as follows

Everyone agrees that The business has definitely grown in mass #'s over the years, the show has become extremely crowded in all ways possible, has become unsafe and unsanitary in many ways, parking has become a nightmare, and the venue itself is just old and plain outdated. People still attend in #'S because they have no where else to go, but I think things are a changin. I visited this new Carlisle show, and it has alot of potential and alot more to offer then Hamburg as a venue, if they could somehow add venomous to this show I think they would give Hamburg a real run for the money.

Now, please keep in mind that these are only MY opinions, but I think in time as this business continues to gain in popularity, Hamburg will have no choice but to either look for a new venue, or limit the number of people it lets through the doors. Either way, many a people are gonna be miffed. The local traffic, local law enforcement, and fire marshalls will eventually step in and mandate changes.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #35
Heart and Soul Reptiles
The only thing I have to say as far as safety goes is they did make a new rule this time that any animal that was leaving the building had to have a paid sticker on it, to prevent theft. And they were serious about it, if it fell off, you had to go get another one, no excuses. It was actually a bit of a pain, and caused quite a jam up at the door, but if it saved one or two animals from being stollen, I guess it was worth it :/ ?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #36
supreme_reptiles
Actually, the fire marshals were there! They were complaining due to too many people. Also, there was some sort of group there looking to see if anyone was selling baby turtles. They were checking inside and the parking lot.

It gets ungodly hot in there in the summer. You are right, you feel like you might pass out. It's pretty bad when uromastyx look like they are too hot and they are panting. That's with no heat lamps on too! I agree, dead of summer is a killer there!

I have to agree, they do need to do something as it has been getting out of hand with crowd control. They need a bigger building for the most part. I was glad to see they have implemented some security, however, the first time we left they checked our packages but then a different person at the door didn't check the second time we left. And you are right, there really WASN'T anywhere else to go. Now that carlisle has opened up, you may be right in your assessment. I know I want to go check it out.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #37
mikeyt
Well, if that is so, that the fire marshalls were there, then im sure they will soon be in touch with the promoter about making any needed changes. Bottom line is the trade and the show are growing in popularity. Meaning that the lines and the wait to get in are going to continue to grow, the already overcrowded parking area, and congested walk down the isles will only get worse, making it even more unsafe for vendors and patrons. Those with little kids suffer the most. Vendors have no space behind there tables, most cant even set in the chairs provided because there is no room. It si rediculous sometimes.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #38
cursedj
fyi

carlise just became a venomous show starting in may.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #39
mikeyt
In May! Well, looks like the ball is in motion, lets see where it rolls. My bet is on Carlisle. I have seen alot of the Hamburg vendors at the Carlisle show. Now I am curious as to how many of the HOT vendors will be signing up. I cant wait for this weekends show, but now I am really anxious about May's show. WOO HOO !!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!