S373 python Ban Hearing Set!!!!! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #31
ReptileJay
I'm not saying to do nothing and just let the government do what they feel is best, but I think that having every random person that keeps snakes email,call,fax,etc congress members does less good than you may think it does...
Regardless, some regulations in certain areas may need to exist, but I do not see this "nationwide ban" being even remotely enforcable...
We all know this isn't the first time, and certainly won't be the last that unrealistic legislation is considered (especially on this subject matter).
They have heard both sides again and again, and no matter what happens, the humane societies and animal rights activists are not going to see our side as long as there are irresponsible keepers providing fuel for their illadvised causes...(And for the media).
The irrational (yet fairly common) fear of snakes makes a story about "giant snakes escaping", or "snake related deaths" far more profitable stories than deaths caused by other domesticated (or wild for that matter) animals. As always, the bottom line is money...

When I said not to stress out over the situation, I certainly did NOT mean "do nothing"... And NEVER did I suggest that the government knows what is best for us. (Hell... They don't even know what's best for themselves.)

We should all do whatever we can to ensure a law like this never passes, but by all means, do so in an intelligent manner...

Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #32
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJay View Post
(Hell... They don't even know what's best for themselves.)

We should all do whatever we can to ensure a law like this never passes, but by all means, do so in an intelligent manner...

I'll agree with this part

Old 12-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #33
Strike_Force_Reptiles
Well we can agrue about what to says, what not to say and how to say it all day long and think theres nothing going to thappen but the fact is its already rolling and the truth of the matter is with the way our government works now theres not a damn thing we can do. i emailed our NC senators and here is one of the responses i got back.....
Quote:
December 5, 2009

Dear Friend,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts and opinions. Since taking office, I have received an overwhelming number of calls and emails from North Carolinians like you who are ready to take an active part in our government. I appreciate each and every call and email. With our country facing some of its toughest challenges in a generation, your phone calls and messages are an important factor guiding my work here in Washington. Please be assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible regarding your specific concern.

I would like to take this opportunity to share my website with you. Please visit http://Hagan.Senate.Gov to find contact information for my offices and to stay updated as my new state offices open. You can also find information there about what I've been doing in North Carolina and Washington. It is an honor to serve as your United States Senator and I sincerely hope you will not hesitate to contact me at any time to share your concerns and voice your opinions on our country's most pressing issues.

Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan
United States Senator, North Carolina

Please do not reply to this email. Instead, if you have further questions, please visit www.hagan.senate.gov and fill out my web form for your inquiry. Thank you.
she didnt read anything, she didnt write the email i got and they certanlly dont care. its all about the $ and use arguing about what should and shouldnt be said in an email doesnt even matter. for us to get anything done we would need to rally outside the building while everything s going on in the building but i dont thing many of us are going to take the time to do it and just think everything is going to be ok. hell im even going to show you the email i wrote to them, and for the record i really dont care if you like my email or not, i wrote how i felt about the bill and thats what i'm sticking to so if you dont like what i wrote you can post rude remarks but i dont care. if you like what i wrote u can post good remakes but like i said i dont care either way, i said what i felt and that is that. heres what my wife and i wrote she did the typing and i did the dictating ....
Quote:
I'm contacting you regarding to the S373 Bill.

My husand and I are owners of a reptile business-selling boas and pythons. National, there is a loss of over $2 billion of tax money per year from all reptile business owners. Not only will the US lose tax money, this bill will also close several reptile businesses. When this happens, you are causing people to lose their jobs, will not be able to provide for their families, and possibly cause them to lose their homes. If this bill pasts, my husband and I will be filling for total loss on our taxes, as well as many others who share the same problems we face. So is the US willing to pay back millions of dollars to re-pay the business owners and give them a job that matches their income? Even reptile owners-not businesses-will be able to write off the loss of their property-which are reptiles; because it is a federal law that it states that property is a loss. We will inform everyone that we know-posting on the Internet, newspaper, and any other means necessary- so that they can write it off on their taxes. The loss of the animals will NOT be an imediate loss of the owners, but that of the government. However when the next year rolls around there will be no income from that business and there for the owners will be suffering.

Even if you ban reptiles, it does not make up for the release of burm. pythons before this bill. I strongly suggest to amend this bill by having permits for large constrictors and pythons, not selling to ages under 18, having snakes in an "escape" and "bite" proof cage with working locks. If this can not be done, a fine and federal imprisonment over 2 years if the reptile escape and/or injures someone other than the owner and his/her family. If the animal does happen to kill someone, the owner of the animal should be face with manslaughter charges. YOU MUST TEACH REPSOSABILITY!

If you pass this bill, why not pass a bill for the ban of dogs,-for they kill more people than snakes-cars,-for there are more people killed in car accidents-alcohol,-more people die of drunk drivers-cigarettes,-more people die of lung cancer per year-TV-more kids die every year from mimicking tv performances.

There should be a ban of building new houses and businesses to perseve wildlife habitats because more bears are coming to the cities to find food because they are pushed out of their habitat.

Another point Senator, many of our customers are men and women who are overseas fighting for our freedom. When they get back, you are telling them they cannot own or keep their snakes?

Most reptile owners and business owners put you and other elected officials in office. By passing this bill, do you think that we will keep the people who voted "yes" to this bill to remind in office? There are more people who oppose this bill and suppose reptile ownership than support of this bill. We-the reptile owners-voted for you, and if you can not rally our pleads, we will find other senators who has the same ideas as we do.

Senator, I ask you as an American-land of the free and the freedom to make our own choices whether that causes harm to ourselves- not to take our freedom away. We need to regulate, but not ban and exterminate. We, along with friends and family, support the Humane Society; however, with them being unreasonable, un-American, and in simple terms bullies, we will not support them or anyone else who supports the Humane Society.

Please feel free to contact my husband, William Barbour-owner of Strike Force Reptiles-or myself at 919-344-5937. I hope we have come to terms that this bill is unfair, unreasonable, and a hindance to the freedom and rights of all Americans.

if you dont like it like i said i really dont give a damn i said what was on my mind and that is that

Old 12-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #34
Twizted Paths
I've been wondering about the property loss bit. Do you have links to the law?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #35
Strike_Force_Reptiles
i dont but i can get it to post on here. my father in law runs his own tax firm and also works with the IRS so thats where i got all my tax loss info from. i will see if i can get the links and post them

Old 12-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #36
Strike_Force_Reptiles
also i know from personal experience that you can file loss lol i had $1800 rims stolen that was personal preperty and i had them filed last year... just so everyone knows im not just shooting the bull

Old 12-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #37
WingedWolf
That is somewhat of a relief--if the worst happens, at least we can file for some sort of compensation. I don't think a tax credit will be enough to keep me solvent, but I might squeak by and re-start with colubrids.
It would give me great pleasure to hit the govt in the pocketbook if they pass this thing.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #38
Strike_Force_Reptiles
im still waiting on the link from my father in law but the way it works is keep copies of all your expinces( cost of snakes, food, caging, light bill for heating, all caging, snake hooks, gloves, rent, EVERYTHING!) then file it all on your taxes as a total loss. they will have to give it ALL back to you + an extra 10% then they take out $100 for a deductable. so lets say your total loss was $20,000 they would credit you $22,000 then take out the $100 deductable so you would get $21,900. it is very cool and if you want a good tax guy i can sent u to my father in law. he is the best and he is out of VA but he does our taxes and we live in NC. he also supports our reptile businesses and our cause. if i file total loss for this year i should be getting around $20k back, havent went over all my expinces yet, might be more lol screw them like they are screwin us even if you keep your snakes like the hsus says you will be able to, its still a business right off and you will still be able to keep them as pets. husu i shooting BS about the law only bans imports, exports, and interstate transport but you can still sale with in your state and own them. that is BS under the lacey act you can not buy, sell, trade, or keep them. thats why there is so much support for this bill, everyone is being lied to.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #39
Strike_Force_Reptiles
sorry bout my spelling, i was typing quick lol

Old 12-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #40
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike_Force_Reptiles View Post
if you want a good tax guy i can sent u to my father in law. he is the best and he is out of VA but he does our taxes and we live in NC. he also supports our reptile businesses and our cause.
I'd like his info regardless of the outcome of this mess please. I tried talking to some tax people up here and came to the conclusion that I'd be better off trying to figure my taxes out on my own. I really don't want to though.
Personally, I'd rather be locked in a cage with a full grown hungry retic than with an irs agent.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!