Midnight EST, 09/21/10 - server upgrade - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #31
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop Reptiles View Post
Sounds like your causing yourself more work. Sure... your numbers may be up.... but are those PARTICIPATING MEMBERS.... or just folks that signed up so they can still lurk?

If its one thing I have learned from running my own forum... just cause you have new registrations doesnt mean the site is growing. If they sign up and then never post.... you really haven't earned anything.
I'm not really trying to earn anything at all. I'm trying to make the site more efficient and useful to the people who WANT to participate here. Those are the people who will help grow this site. Most of the functionality here is actually free. So is registration. So if someone doesn't want to make even that minimal effort, well, I'm just not going to cater to them any longer.

Heck, we are getting close to 1,300 posts per day now. Certainly there is SOMETHING nearly everyone can find reason to reply to around here. Once they are registered and logged in, well it is MUCH easier to make a spur of the moment reply to something that catches your attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop Reptiles View Post
Once every couple of months we go thru and prune the database. If you aint posted in a year... your gone.
I'm planning on doing that about once a decade....... Surprisingly enough, it is not at all unusual for people to come back after being away for two or three years.

Since I have cut back some of the functions that guests can access, in order to limit the bandwidth that search engine spiders use when visiting (for instance, there is no real reason for search engines to download attachment images), lurkers won't get much benefit out of most of the site anyway. I actually would like to cut out the downloads for guests in the classifieds section as well, for server load reasons, but I think it best for the advertisers that this capability remain.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #32
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Heck, we are getting close to 1,300 posts per day now. Certainly there is SOMETHING nearly everyone can find reason to reply to around here. Once they are registered and logged in, well it is MUCH easier to make a spur of the moment reply to something that catches your attention.
Cant argue that logic

Quote:
I actually would like to cut out the downloads for guests in the classifieds section as well, for server load reasons, but I think it best for the advertisers that this capability remain.
We thank you

Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #33
hhmoore
I've been communicating via email with a member that has lost access to this site via her home computer and laptop. The timing seems pretty close to this last upgrade - I don't know if the two are related, but I'm posting here in case somebody has some suggestions. These are the two most recent messages:

Quote:
I haven't been able to get on the website since I think it was the 21st or 22nd I don't remember which but it's been a while. I've restored my computer and reset all my setting and everything...I followed that link and I couldn't get in with that either. I've reset my connections to the internet, and nothing seems to work...I'm not sure what the issue is. I've updated java, and I've got internet explorer 8. It's just a mystery. One minute everything was working fine the next day everything was a huge mess and that was only site I couldn't access. I can access the cache but that's it...and it doesn't do me any good because it's just a snap shot of the site and if I try to navigate away from it, I just keep getting the same message, oh yean and I even downloaded foxfire to try and see if that would work but it doesn't seem to let me either. I can do things with my iphone but not with the computer...so the issue with with my laptop and desk top...I don't know.
Quote:
I can access and even sign in on my iphone, but I can't on my desktop or my laptop, I thought maybe it might be my connection at home or something but it wasn't because I tried at school too and it's still not working. I don't know what the deal is. I've updated programs and then system restored, I've got no problems getting on other sites just fauna...it's the only site I can't access.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 AM   #34
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I've been communicating via email with a member that has lost access to this site via her home computer and laptop. The timing seems pretty close to this last upgrade - I don't know if the two are related, but I'm posting here in case somebody has some suggestions. These are the two most recent messages:
She really doesn't give us a lot to go on. Any messages of any kind? What exactly happens when she tries to come to this site?

I get a fair number of emails that will say nothing more than something like "Can't get in, can you help?" Nothing else.... Honestly, I've quit replying to them.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 AM   #35
Utta
*brain is racked* what does it say when she tries to load fauna? Due to her thinking it was on her end, id think the typical, "error" message?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #36
SERPENTS DEN
Well once I noticed I couldn't view fauna without being logged in I thought there it was some sort of glitch. I cleared everything from my downloaded history, cookies, cache etc and then pm'd Rich and he pointed me to this thread.

Some of the slower folks are not gonna to be able to put 2 & 2 together so if you don't want to respond to these inquires you may want to consider putting up a notice to guest that they need to be a logged in member to access Fauna.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 AM   #37
hhmoore
I don't know what she gets from FireFox, but here are excerts from the previous messages (I'm only including the parts related to the site issue - the rest were sales transaction related). These are in chronological order.

Quote:
I don't know what the deal is, but for the past couple days my computer has just not let me go on the faunaclassifieds at all, it gives me a page error message, and says that it can't pull up the page. I don't know why I've tried with both my laptop and my home computer and neither of them will let me do what I want to do, which is check my stuff on Fauna
Quote:
Just an error a general error message, that says I can't display the page, I've tried both my home computer and my laptop. I can't even get to the home page, but in a twist, I can get on with my iphone. So I'm not really sure what's going on. It just shows up with this error message, I've tried clearing my browser history and favorites, I've tried, doing everything I can think of, including upgrading my browser to explorer 9 and using foxfire nothing is working. I don't know,
Quote:
As far as the site goes, it's total mystery to me. I'm just getting this general message that says Cannot display website from internet explorer, I've tried rebooting but nothing seems to work, it's driving me a little crazy but that's only because I really like to look at stuff on Fauna, oh well I guess no fauna for me. I'll just keep working on the problem until I get it figured out I can't access it my home computer or on my laptop either...it's just strange, I've even tried using the wifi at school so I know it's not just the home network...

Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #38
SERPENTS DEN

Just had this happen to me while browsing from the BOI to the BP Classifieds, after the 3rd refresh the page loaded.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #39
Southern Wolf
Just a shot in the dark.... have her make sure that fuana is not being blocked by her security software. If she hasn't already... have her clear her cache. Delete her cookies, temp internet files. Reboot the computer.. .and try again.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #40
crissabella
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERPENTS DEN View Post

Just had this happen to me while browsing from the BOI to the BP Classifieds, after the 3rd refresh the page loaded.
I had that happen to me the other day, but after restarting the computer it was fine

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!