leopard gecko food - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #31
magick-bears
Well I was just using Fluker's as an example. Crickets were commercialy available long before meal worms were. This is because they were used as bait long before mealworms.

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:35 PM   #32
Devious_bunny
Quote:
Originally posted by magick-bears
I am just curious. If crickets are more nutritious then mealworms then why is it that the longevity records are held by geckos that were fed mealworms exclusively for most of their lives? Is there actually published research showing that Loes need lower fat amounts? Or, is it possible that they actually need the higher fat that mealworms provide? I am not criticizing crickets. I personally do not like them and don't feed them, though.

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.
This could just be the case because (correct me if i'm wrong...) because it seems like most of the top breaders feed just mealworms, or mostly mealworms. so it would just make sense that the peole with the most knowledge about leos have the oldest and healthiest, so its not the food, its the owner?

Old 07-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #33
magick-bears
Quote:
Originally posted by Devious_bunny
This could just be the case because (correct me if i'm wrong...) because it seems like most of the top breaders feed just mealworms, or mostly mealworms. so it would just make sense that the peole with the most knowledge about leos have the oldest and healthiest, so its not the food, its the owner?
I do agree that husbandry plays a role in the longevity of any animal. However, nutrition is just as important. As for the record holder's all being large breeders this is not always true. The Saint Louis Zoo had (might even still be alive) has a 28 year old male. The problem with you theory is that the large breeder breed. Breeding causes stress and stress shortens the life span. This makes nutrition all the more important.

My point here is to simply get people thinking. Maybe, just maybe, Leos need the higher fat that meal worms have over crickets. Has anyone ever seen the fat% of a scorpion?

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.

Old 07-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #34
riverjop
Quote:
Breeding causes stress and stress shortens the life span
I atribute this to the reason Im still alive!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!