Stolen APTOR avatar - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #31
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
They got the new one up pretty quick - makes you wonder where it came from...
I was thinking the same thing. When I went back it was a "broken" link. Now they have a new logo.

It seems obvious they do not want to pay for this. I would post it on the BOI.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #32
Herpcam
Great thread. I hope you get something out of them, Gene. It looks like at least one of your images still exists on KS's server, though.

See how long this one stays alive; it's linked directly from their server, so when it's gone, they've removed it.

Have you received a reply to your invoice?

Old 06-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #33
hill4803
Brian you used foxfire to get around my javascript? Can foxfire (or any other program) remove the watermarks?
I don't think they will pay the invoice, they may just say it was an honest mistake and apologize. Maybe work something out with them if they seem truly remorseful.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #34
diablohogs
Quote:
It looks like at least one of your images still exists on KS's server
yeah, thats the one i was refering to.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #35
Mike Greathouse
I don't see how their actions can be construed as an honest mistake.
They willfully copied the photo from your page, made changes to it and called it their own. This isn't like the use of a photo as a description of a similar animal or to make a descriptive point in a thread. They were using it as their company logo. They need to compensate you.

If they have any business sense at all (at this point it looks like they don't) they need to step up and make this right. Otherwise, their business venture is based on poor standards and an obvious lack of morals. They will surely fail.

RSS Industries: You need to step up and show everyone that you are in this for the long run and that you are a respectable company deserving of our business.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:17 PM   #36
Milwaukee Reptiles
I use FireFox as my browser (getFirefox.com), and simply disabled javascript. You can do the same thing in internet explorer (Try it - click Tools, options, then the security tab. Click on Custom Level and scroll down to the option that says "Scripting",and Active Scripting. Click disable and then OK a bunch of times to close all the windows. Then go to your website and you'll see that all the javascript protection no longer works).

Like internet explorer, Firefox cannot remove watermarks from images. There is some software out there that can try, and some do better than others. For the most part, if the watermark is big enough and covers enough color change it's extremely difficult, and most people won't bother to try (because google's image search will give them millions of other, un-watermarked options).

A watermark is probably the safest way at the moment. It won't prevent theft of the image, but it will make people less likely to steal it, and more identifiable if someone does. Plus, you still have the original (unwatermarked) one saved on your computer at home, so you can always prove that the image is yours.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #37
Milwaukee Reptiles
I agree. They either need to pay for it or work out some other deal (A banner for your website appears on their pages for a year, ect). That's like me walking out of your house with your computer, getting caught, and my punishment is putting it back where I found it... doesn't really seem to fit.

There is absolutely NO WAY that this was unintentional. They modified the image (meaning someone copied it, played around with it in photo editing software, saved the new file, uploaded it to the site, and placed it within HTML). The only way they could have not meant to is if they paid someone else to create the images or the site.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #38
viper69
This is a simple topic..they stole from you. Either you are going to do something about it because that's a great pic in my opinion, or you aren't....If it was me..Id def. go after them in some capacity. Probably for a settlement. I wouldn't let them have it for nothing...that's typical corporate america taking advantage of the little guy..SEE, if they are afraid of you in terms of you asking for money...if they weren't...they would have asked you outright..but they didn't..they just took it hoping you'd never find out...so typical of corp America

Old 06-12-2005, 06:44 PM   #39
Jim O
Chris,

I don't disagree with you about "corporate America" taking advantage of "little guys" but they mostly use the system to do so. Most big corporations would not do a thing like this. They would make their own, hire someone to do it, or pay for it. Small change compared to the aggravation and bad press involved in outright documentable and verifiable stealing, especially if they are direct marketing online to a small community (herpers who shop online). This strikes me as a mom and pop type outfit, small time to say the least. They were looking to cut corners and got caught.

Now they are going to pay either monetarily or in terms of reputation, or maybe both. Simple as that.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #40
diablohogs
Quote:
This strikes me as a mom and pop type outfit, small time to say the least.
they are a L.L.C. (limited liability corporation).

they are all right though. you deserve something. matter of fact this thread has inspired me to do something about my situation and provided me with the tools and knowledge to do so.

thanks everyone! ecspecially Milwaukee Reptiles!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!