Do these collards look liek they might breed? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #31
Robotchicken09
hey, ah were do i mount the bulbs? what do i use to put them over the cage and have them light up? or does that come with the bulbs?

Old 04-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #32
Tere Salazar
Ummm...I hate to say it, but you're probably going to need more than one bag of crickets. If these guys are anything like my beardies, they'll eat upwards of 50 crickets a day...EACH. You may want to talk to Petsmart and see if you can buy a box of crickets (which should be 1000). That way you'll have enough to get you through until your order comes in. Also, if you get them some good greens, like turnip or mustard...and some veggies and fruits, all of which are very inexpensive...that would be good. They need to be offered a varied diet, and not just all crickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotchicken09
when i go to petsmart, im gunna buy a bag of crickets, but also i think ill start buying from that online store you gave me. and im on petsmart.com adding up prices, terrariums and such. im thinking i need a bigger one because they sometimes dig at the sides when i come near the cage, but looking out the window now there just sittin on there rocks. and yes part of the cage is out of the sun.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #33
Robotchicken09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon
I've looked at the same terrariums, and they are really, really nice. I do think that they would be better to use for a very small animal, though. The largest size these terrariums come in is kind of cost prohibitive, when compared to just a plain glass tank. You might want to do some calling around and see if you can find some decent prices on a 40-60 gallon breeder tank. I know from our local petstore, we can get a 60 gallon for about $75. It's the type with the locking screen lid...no escapees there! You might also try fish stores, as that's what our petstore is that sells the really good priced tanks.

For your other supplies (like light fixtures, bulbs, etc.) a really good place is www.reptiledirect.com. You'll see a very large price difference between them and Petsmart.
well 60 gallons are...well...ehhh...hmm...you dunt know how my mom and dad work, my dads a grump 24/7 and always tells me the lizards are gunna die, and my mom says it HAS to look good, also i only have 100$ to spend so.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #34
Robotchicken09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon
Ummm...I hate to say it, but you're probably going to need more than one bag of crickets. If these guys are anything like my beardies, they'll eat upwards of 50 crickets a day...EACH. You may want to talk to Petsmart and see if you can buy a box of crickets (which should be 1000). That way you'll have enough to get you through until your order comes in. Also, if you get them some good greens, like turnip or mustard...and some veggies and fruits, all of which are very inexpensive...that would be good. They need to be offered a varied diet, and not just all crickets.
ive read that they dont need that much crickets, only about 3 a day and any they dont eat should be taken out for the night

Old 04-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #35
Robotchicken09
also i read they only need a 30 gal tank

Old 04-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #36
Tere Salazar
Well...if you're planning on going with the UVB fluorescent tube and a heat lamp, you'll need a fluorescent fixture and a reflector dome. Retile Direct carries a bulb/fixture combo here...

http://www.reptiledirect.com/index.a...ROD&ProdID=696

And you can get a reflector dome at Home Depot for about $6 or so. It comes with a clamp. If you get them a 40-60 gallon tank with the locking screen top, you can just lay the fluorescent fixture directly on the screen...and same thing with the reflector dome. You could also just clamp the reflector dome to the side of the tank, but you may not be able to create as much of a hot spot as they'll need.

Oh...forgot to mention that you'll probably need a digital thermometer with a probe. I know they have them at Petsmart, and they should run about $8-10. You can also get them online at Reptile Direct. The stick on thermometers ARE NOT accurate...and are not recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotchicken09
hey, ah were do i mount the bulbs? what do i use to put them over the cage and have them light up? or does that come with the bulbs?

Old 04-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #37
Robotchicken09
ok well, 1 how in feet how big are 40 gallons? and how much are they do you think? also, can i get them at petsmart?

Old 04-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #38
Robotchicken09
ide realy love tyo give them a 60 gallon aqauarium, but i just cant afford it, nor will my mom go for it...she will probably let me keep them in that 20 gallon i have, but idk if thats enough. gah, never knew reptiles were so expensive to take care of!!

Old 04-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #39
Robotchicken09
there bodys are only like 4 or so inches long, there tails are about 8 or so, idk if a 20 is big enough, you think they would still mate in it?

Old 04-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #40
Tere Salazar
A 40 gallon is about 36" long, 15 1/2" deep, and 18 or so high. I believe we paid about $50 or so for our 40 gallon. I know our local Petsmart has tanks, but they are pretty expensive compared to what we get them for at the fish store. If you have any reptile shows in your area, you could probably get a good priced tank there, too.

Really, I do understand your predicament...but I'm also trying to help you. No animal, whether reptilian or mammal is cheap to keep. And if you're going to keep them, you really need to do your best to offer them what they need to be happy and healthy.

I don't know where you read that they only need 3 crickets a day, but I don't believe that's very accurate. I know any lizard in captivity should be fed as much as it can eat in a 15 minute period, at least once a day (depending on whether it's an adult or growing baby/juvie). I can assure you that if these lizards are fed the way they should be fed, they will eat much more than 3 crickets a day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!