Anyone have success breeding Prehensile Tailed Skinks? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #31
K-Ran
Thanks so much Kisha. That is what I keep telling myself. They are very still, only moving if the mother steps on them, or if they try to scoot more under the log. Shouldn't they be crawling around more? Are they still supposed to be so still? I am leaving them alone, only misting and taking temps. I will still try to bump up the overall temps and that is all I can do. This is my second time going through this; man, is it frustrating!!! Thanks, and hope all is well with your new brood. Karen

Old 01-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #32
Kisha
I think you're right they should be crawling around more. The big twin I had climbed to the top foliage to hide right away, the little one stayed on the bottom of the cage. I eventually moved him to the middle because I was worried about his temps, as well. I would expect a healthy baby to be vigorous shortly after birth, but I have no idea how much time is needed for them to "get their motor running". It may be that they just need a little time to get used to being on the outside. I know it's hard, but hands off is better. Keep up the vigil, and let us know what happens. BTW I would love to see the video!

Kisha

Old 01-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #33
K-Ran
Well, after the babies had not moved for close to 2 hours, I decided I had nothing to lose and prepared an incubator for them. I picked them up only to find the larger "healthy" one that looked great last night had indeed died. The sad thing is that a loop of intestine had been pulled through his belly and the stump of the umbilical was attached to it. The mother did not clean him up as she did the first born. He pulled and tugged to free himself of the mass after he was born. With the large yolk sac stuck to the ground, he could not go anywhere. I was concerned, but I went to bed and let nature take it's course. This morning he looked poor. I do not know if he pulled so hard he pulled the intestine through, or if mom help clean him and caused it. I know it was not there when he was born. The frustrating part is that I'm sure he was healthy last night. Has anyone experienced this. Can you cut the cord yourself and then leave them alone? Tiny baby #1 is resting in his incubator. He remains alert, yet mostly still. I will keep you posted.

Karen

Old 01-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #34
jrbl
Karen, This is exactly what happen to my twins that were born on New Years. I am sorry to tell you, but niether should have an external yolk sac or anything coming out of the umbilicus. The yolk sac is suppose to internalize before birth. My first baby had its yolk sac on the outside, but it was still very fat and active. My second baby died because not only was its yolks sac on the outside, but so too was the majority of its digestive tract. My first baby was taken to the vet and its yolk was liagated(tied off) and removed. The baby is now on antibiotics. Perhaps I misread your post, but if your situation is similar to my own, I would suggest you take the baby to the vet. josh

Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #35
K-Ran
Josh, I am so glad that you have been able to save your baby! Thanks so much for the information. I did not think that retained yolk sac was a good thing, I just did not know what the umbilical cord should look like. Both my babies were small (about 50 & 56 g) and both had most or all the yolk sac remaining. The intestine loop was not there last night, but by morning had been pulled through the belly. Neither was very strong. Time was not on my side and the larger of the two (with entire sac intact- like a 2.5 " chicken yolk!) died this morning. A trip to the vet was in the plans. The small one clings to life. I have it in a make-shift incubator. I will offer heat, humidity, fluids now and food in a day or two if it survives. The cord was removed completely by the mother, just a little indention remains. I would love any suggestions or more I should do.

My pair mated for 11 days about 32 weeks ago. I would have thought this was not a premature delivery. Does anyone know the causes of retained yolk and what you should do if faced with one in the night and on the weekend? Can you do anything to prevent this?

Thanks for all the input!!!
Karen

Old 01-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #36
K-Ran
Photos at last!

This morning baby #1 is still alive! (By some miracle) It weighed in at 39g! It has a little more fight this morning and actually crawled on my hand. It drank water and ate a little sweet potato/water mush. I offer it fluids every hr or so. I would love some feedback on what type of nutrition I should be offering since it did not get to absorb it's yolk sac. Has anyone had such a tiny weak baby like this survive? Let me know. Thanks!!!

Karen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby #2- 56gm.jpg (76.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg baby #1-39gm.jpg (150.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg baby #1.jpg (140.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg baby #2 - note intestine loop, dead at 18 hours old.jpg (112.7 KB, 56 views)

Old 01-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #37
K-Ran
Picture #1 and #4 are the second baby at birth and then after it died. Piture #2 &#3 are the first born tiny surviving twin.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #38
Kisha
WOW! Amazing pictures, it looks like you can really tell the difference between the placenta (redish tissue) and the Yolk(yellow). I am sorry for your loss, but we can all learn from your experience. I'm glad to hear the other is doing OK, I say keep giving it what ever it will take by hand. You may want to mix in some probiotics with what ever you are giving, there is a brand made for birds that I have used in the past with great results. I'll look up the name and where I got it when I get home from work today. Sweet potato is great, maybe try smashed peas or green beans. Keep up the good work!

Kisha

Old 01-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #39
K-Ran
Thanks Kisha. I did not even think of that. I actually already have them. I have "Bene-Bac Powder" for bird and reptiles. I will surely use it. I am amazed at the little guys resilience. He/She is climbing off my hand and up my shirt when I offer food/fluids. Sleeping alot, but alert when I wake him. His tail grabs my finger when I run my finger down it. When do you think I should add greens to the sweet potato/pea mixture? I am basically offering food/fluid every 2 hours or so just to ensure he does not dehydrate. How concerned do you think I should be about the lack of yolk absorption at this point? The mother delivered the placenta several minutes after the second baby. I was startled to see that huge yellow yolk intact and not broken. The birth was amazing and I am grateful to have witnessed it. She consumed alot of protein that night, she was bloated and arching this morning and in noticeable discomfort. She did pass a stool and appears comfy now. It was weird, the water where she went to the bathroom actually had a layer of oily residue. She is still on the floor of the enclosure. I feel sorry for her. She knew though because although she guarded the babies , she did so from a distance.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #40
varnyard
Also, Bert Langerwerf is somewhat of a expert on these animals. Here is a link, you could contact him, I am sure he would be more than glad to help with any questions.
http://www.agamainternational.com/pa...led_skinks.htm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!