My First Beardie - Page 41 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #401
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

How's it going?
I just don't get it? I have never had any problems with crickets. I breed my own & the ones from the petstores are not very good usually.
Do they get too cold or are they too crowded? Too much humidity also causes dieoffs, as well. Sorry you have not had any luck with them.
Hopefully you will have better luck with roaches. When are you starting with them?
Great that Toby is so active now, & out & running around.

Tracie

Old 05-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #402
harmonysmom
I'm hoping to start with the roaches after this week at the latest. It may have been too crowded, but I made sure there was a LOT more space to crawl on by using egg crates and what not too. There were many ventilation areas (2 huge squares cut out from the sides and screen placed over them) I got about 1K crickets at a time, and he'd normally eat a good 50 or so of them in one day, so I figured they'd be eaten before I started to have die offs.

I called the Zoo that is near here, and they are calling or emailing me back all kinds of information on other types of critters I can possibly feed that most don't think about and they are going to give me enclosure tips too. I can't wait, who better to ask than those who are complete experts on the beloveds.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #403
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

Hey that is great that you are getting the zoo to help you out with the enclosure ideas & such. Do you have a friend in there? Good luck. I hope you get it all sorted out. When you think you will being the project?
I hope you have better luck with the roaches than you did with crickets. Yeah, they just don't do real well if they are crowded. Sorry.
How is Toby doing, still eating lots & running around?

Talk soon.

Tracie

Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #404
harmonysmom
He's doing great despite there was apparently another earthquake Monday morning. I was too sleep-mussed to realize that it wasn't something else...haha.

I'm hoping I have better luck too.

No, no friend at the Zoo. They had contact numbers and emails on their website for people to get ahold of them, so I took advantage of it. Found out that they do have bearded dragons there too, just not on display.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #405
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

You all had another earthquake monday? Wow you did not feel it? LOL
Well, that is still cool that they have contact numbers on their site. At least they are willing to help out. How many dragons do they have there at the zoo, or do know?
I hope you hear back from them soon, too.

Tracie

Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #406
harmonysmom
I think they have a pair or two, from the way she was talking. But am unsure.

No, I felt it, I was just to sleep mussed to care. haha....it only registered as a 2.7 I think, so it wasn't big or anything.

Toby was all climbing around his tank today. Wanting out and what not. So I took him out and placed him on my lap for awhile before I had to go to work. He wasn't too happy about going back into his tank. That gives me two pluses for not having a job come the 15th. I get to stay home and work on Harmony's potty training a bit more (almost there, almost there hee hee) and Toby will get a LOT of attention throughout as well. Plus, it'll give me time to keep up with his food and making sure they are breeding properly and etc. I can also hand draw his blueprints for his cage. I'm still going simple with it, but, I MIGHT do a screen mesh top and have the lights wired to the screen from the inside, because it would cut down on the cost for wood, and I wouldn't need air vents on the sides. I mean, his tank stays properly warmed as is....so why enclose it anymore?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #407
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

Great that Toby has been active & wanting out so much. Yeah, they don't want to go back in their tanks when they get used to getting out alot. It is pretty funny.
I agree, why enclose his tank more if it is staying the proper temps there is no need to.
Oh that is good, you can work on potty training him then. It is not hard, but it just takes a bit of time. It is fun to do also. Good luck! He will get very spoiled in the process, too. Plus he will get all sorts of attention too so he will love that.
At least it was not a big earthquake & that it didn't wake you up anyway.

Tracie

Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #408
harmonysmom
I'm just trying to find ways to keep costs down without having to buy a complete glass/acrylic aquarium....I want something that is made for him, not fish...and since Tim won't let me do the collapsible mesh ones, then I don't have many options really.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #409
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

I don't blame you I don't always like a total glass or acrylic tank. I like something to look more natural also. The fish aquariums are not really designed for dragons most of the time, because they are too narrow.
Good luck, I hope you figure things out soon!

Tracie

Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #410
harmonysmom
Well, I came to a compromise with Tim about Toby. We will wait until the last possible minute to either get him, or make him, a new home. He will be a year old by the end of June or middle of August, he's still somewhat small, so, unless he hits this HUGE growth spurt between now and then, I think this tank he's in now can hold him comfortably until next year around tax time. After that, he will get a bigger, better home. If he does happen to start getting too big, then we will go ahead and do it then, but, until then, he fits pretty well in this one, and it saves us money we don't have right now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!