Tom Crutchfield: Greatest Reptile Dealer of All Time? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #41
SPZOOLOGICAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidButton
Hey, I never said that the tings he did that got him into trouble were right or that I condoned hsi actions. Hell, it wasn't the first time he had gotten into trouble for the same thing. But I am saying that people can change and that we should give them the chance to do so. Tom is probably one of the most knowledgeable herp people on the planet and that is whe I admire about him. Not his illegal practices. Now he is trying to come back into the world that he loves and I think he should be given that chance, and the benefit of the doubt that he is going to do things right and not break any laws or screw anyone.

David Button
I have never met him. I would like to because he is one of the great legends, but as a novice "kid" in the hobby, I can tell you that his company sent me some crap. Either or, I still enjoyed getting his lists, and looked forward to getting them each month. He was a great salesman. Eventhough he was the first to offer many things like albino alligators, and albino iguanas, which in itself is impressive, he was also the first salesman to go down for smuggling rare endangered Fiji Iguanas, among other things.

Everybody deserves a second chance, especially with the time that has passed. If he came back, I'd buy from if he had something I wanted. He has officially paid his debt to society, but he should be mindful of debts to individuals.

Sean P.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #42
lanceheads
Quote:
Originally Posted by evansnakes
So just because somebody is your friend or you like them it is OK for them to lie, cheat, traffic in and kill endangered speices and rip people off? And Randall, after working for Tom I would think you would have some sympathy for the others who were working for him in the end and when he ran out of the USA to avoid prosecution the government went after them. Knowing this he still fled and refused to come back. The only reason he returned at all was due to the agents going and getting him and dragging him back. The "stories" are true for folks like Jerry who just remember those great old days. Tom sent people junk. He sent people dead animals that were dead prior to shipping. He sent people who paid top dollar, b grade or worse product. Where do you think all his junk went? He sold it to somebody. Now you good old boys can think back to those happier, simpler days, but when you do, try to remember what actually went on and not an idealized version of it. I have friends in this industry that have been in prison and they are my friends regardless but it does not change the facts that they did what they did. Tom is the same case. And for Hank Molt, it is pretty common knowledge what Hank has done over the years and there is a good reason that most of the old timers avoid him at shows and will not talk to him. Guys like Tom and Hank have a small group of old time herp guys who hang out with them, but most people see them for what they are. Guys who smuggled, trafficked and sold animals they knew they should not have. Hank even just a couple years ago did a big number on his partner in their petshop in Georgia. At least Tom seems to be making an effort to not break the law.
Evan,
I have no sympathy for anyone who worked for Tom (after I left) I might feel a little sorry for them though.

I simply stated that I liked Tom and that he brought in some great animals. However, I never saw or we never shipped out "dead", B-grade animals when I was in charge then, never happened. What happened before my employment, is no concern to me, nor was it any of my business.
Tom treated me fair, and paid me very well. I was also allowed to "hand pick" snakes for my own private collection before we offered them to sell to the public.
Evan, I have always thought of you as a knowledgible reptile guy, and I am sorry you or your friends have had bad dealings with Tom, BUT, that doesn't diminish my feelings about Tom, nor the positive things that he has done for the hobby.
Ahh, the Hank Molt thing, no comment! LOL!
BTW, I guess I AM old (52), but pls don't lump me in with that group of "geezers" LOL!

Old 01-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #43
dzoo
Smuggling

I'm not advocating smuggling reptiles but just what do you suppose Tom was going to do with the Fiji Iguanas? Sell them to some 12 year old to keep in a tank on his dresser? I'm sure they would have ended up in the hands of serious people with the intention of breeding them.

Lets not forget how one of the most plentiful reptile in the pet trade today - THE BEARDED DRAGON - got into the US and look what has happened to it - it certainly hasn't been hurt by its questionable origin. I think Knob Tails and Cresteds had the same route too?

Old 01-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #44
Chameleon Company
Memory lane

The memory lane aspect of this thread is a lot of fun. To the individual with the binders of old reptile lists .... hell, I'll pay for your table at Daytona just to put them on display! You could probably frame a few and make a profit. Tomorrow is my big 50th, and I recall dealings with many of those pictured. Missing is Old Man Thompson, of "Thompson Zoo" fame??? Would like to admit that he pulled more than one Drymarchon out of a bag at his place outside Clewiston in the mid 70's, and sold them to me, but they must have been racers! If some punk with a knife hadn't taken his life some time ago, likely time would have gotten him by now anyway.

With regard to the law and illegal activity, Tom paid his dues, and I for one was glad to see him come back from Belize and get it behind him. As for bad business deals, etc, they are still his to bear. Was not on the receiving end of any of those.

Have you got any old catalogues from Exotic Animal Importers, Hialeah, FL, late 60'ish? Thanks.

Jim Flaherty
The Chameleon Company, LLC

Old 01-23-2005, 02:21 PM   #45
WebSlave
Thumbs up

For the record, I bought quite a bit of stuff from Tom back in the 80s. Both as stuff shipped in to me and as a walk-in customer. When my wife and I would take vacations in southwest Florida, we ALWAYS stopped in at Tom's shop and usually came home with some stuff. Tom often would take us to his house to show us his crocs and tortoises. And I was a nobody. I never spent all that much money, but Tom always treated me like I was a valued customer. I would have to say that those visits to his facility were one of the most enjoyable aspects of those vacations we used to take.

Matter of fact, it was Tom Crutchfield who first ever suggested that maybe I should make my snake breeding into a business. So he definitely was an influence on my future at the time.

Yeah, every once in a while I would have a problem with something, but I found Tom reasonable to work with and he always made it right.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:21 PM   #46
brucestephenson
Quote: "I'm not advocating smuggling reptiles but just what do you suppose Tom was going to do with the Fiji Iguanas? Sell them to some 12 year old to keep in a tank on his dresser? I'm sure they would have ended up in the hands of serious people with the intention of breeding them.

Lets not forget how one of the most plentiful reptile in the pet trade today - THE BEARDED DRAGON - got into the US and look what has happened to it - it certainly hasn't been hurt by its questionable origin. I think Knob Tails and Cresteds had the same route too?"

This is the main point of the Crutchfield Fan Club: We should be able to obtain founder stock of any reptile we want for breeding for the hobby and trade without interstate permits. Fijis, Radiateds, Plowshares, Indigos, Galops and most other so called "endangereds" would be common by now! George Bush - Please change the laws before it's too late for us breeders to save them!!!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2005, 02:23 PM   #47
SPZOOLOGICAL
I don't see any comparison to Fiji Island Iguanas and Bearded Dragons. Is it safe to assume that some of these *collected, endangered Fiji Iguanas smuggled might have been female? What does the ecosystem and species benefit from captive breeding of illegal specimens. All the offspring are driven underground.

It's all in the past now anyway, but it's a worthy point.

I'm going to go thru my old boxes and see what I can find. I think I only have like 2 or 3 old lists here. I have alotta old "Glades" lists, a Hogtown Herp, and maybe 1 old Zooherp list.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #48
SPZOOLOGICAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucestephenson
This is the main point of the Crutchfield Fan Club: We should be able to obtain founder stock of any reptile we want for breeding for the hobby and trade without interstate permits. Fijis, Radiateds, Plowshares, Indigos, Galops and most other so called "endangereds" would be common by now! George Bush - Please change the laws before it's too late for us breeders to save them!!!!!!!!
Bruce,

This isn't a good idea. CITES regulations need to be in place to preserve the species and all wildlife. NOT so you can keep them and enjoy privately. If you want protected wildlife, follow the correct procedure, get the permit, set up housing and above all...RESPECT THE LAW!

Sean P.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #49
SPZOOLOGICAL
Further, I think the reasoning behind optaining the USDI permit lies so people can't go out and collect WC animals that are endangered. The permit puts checks in place. If anyone can have them w/o a permit, and we allow interstate commerce to take place to holders who don't have a permit, what's to stop the person who doesn't have a permit from collecting endangered animals illegally in the first place? Thus, you need the permit.

My last post wasn't to imply that you don't, "respect the law". Please don't take it that way.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #50
lanceheads
Oop's!

I hope my post about Don Williams WASN'T posted by Bob Sloan posing as Don!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread