Do these collards look liek they might breed? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #41
Robotchicken09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon
A 40 gallon is about 36" long, 15 1/2" deep, and 18 or so high. I believe we paid about $50 or so for our 40 gallon. I know our local Petsmart has tanks, but they are pretty expensive compared to what we get them for at the fish store. If you have any reptile shows in your area, you could probably get a good priced tank there, too.

Really, I do understand your predicament...but I'm also trying to help you. No animal, whether reptilian or mammal is cheap to keep. And if you're going to keep them, you really need to do your best to offer them what they need to be happy and healthy.

I don't know where you read that they only need 3 crickets a day, but I don't believe that's very accurate. I know any lizard in captivity should be fed as much as it can eat in a 15 minute period, at least once a day (depending on whether it's an adult or growing baby/juvie). I can assure you that if these lizards are fed the way they should be fed, they will eat much more than 3 crickets a day.
oh 50$ thats pretty good, i think ill do that! i hope petsmart has a 50$ one, idk of any fish stores around here...

Old 04-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #42
Robotchicken09
my mom doesnt like driving everywere, so idk. she did say she would take me to petsmart tho...

Old 04-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #43
Tere Salazar
Yes, reptiles are fairly expensive to keep....properly anyway. I do think the 20 gallon is okay for a smaller sized lizard, but I think Collareds get too large to remain in a 20 gallon for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotchicken09
ide realy love tyo give them a 60 gallon aqauarium, but i just cant afford it, nor will my mom go for it...she will probably let me keep them in that 20 gallon i have, but idk if thats enough. gah, never knew reptiles were so expensive to take care of!!

Old 04-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #44
Robotchicken09
well, im not planning on leaving them there for life...just if the 40 gallons too much.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #45
Robotchicken09
how much do you think all the essentials will cost? the UVB, heat lamp ect. with and without the 40 gallon?

Old 04-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #46
Robotchicken09
good news! i saw the female bobbing up and down were the shade is near the male!! after a while of that the male walked up to her, i cant tell if hes biting her neck(one of the signs of mating) but he walked up to her and his head is by hers, i dont wanna go out and interupt them so.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #47
Robotchicken09
well, bad news the male got out of his cage and got away(sSTUPID OUTSIDE) maybe there will be some at petsmart i can buy and save there poor lives from horrible care. still got my females tho. it was amazing when i saw him get out
he got up on the rocks and jumped VERRY high to the lid of the cage that i only had half-way on so that they could get more sun, and shade. sigh*

Old 04-11-2006, 02:12 AM   #48
PaulSage
Brock, I hate to say it but I don't think you're going to be able to provide
these animals with the care and set up they need for only $100. First of all,
since they are wild-caught, it is very possible that they have internal
parasites so they should have fecal tests done by a vet. Those tests alone,
along with any necessary medication could easily eat up half of your budget.
For lizards of that size, I would guess that they could eat at least a dozen
crickets a day each, and if you're paying pet store prices for crickets, that
could easily cost you $15-20 per week. So, after having them checked out
by a vet (assuming it's legal to keep wild-caught native species in your
state) and feeding them for 2-3 weeks, you've already used up the $100 that
you have to spend and you don't even have cage for them yet. It's just my
opinion, but I think that both you and the lizards would be better off if you
let them loose back into their natural habitat, and saved up to buy them the
proper enclosure and care that they deserve. Good luck with everything!

Old 04-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #49
Robotchicken09
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
Brock, I hate to say it but I don't think you're going to be able to provide
these animals with the care and set up they need for only $100. First of all,
since they are wild-caught, it is very possible that they have internal
parasites so they should have fecal tests done by a vet. Those tests alone,
along with any necessary medication could easily eat up half of your budget.
For lizards of that size, I would guess that they could eat at least a dozen
crickets a day each, and if you're paying pet store prices for crickets, that
could easily cost you $15-20 per week. So, after having them checked out
by a vet (assuming it's legal to keep wild-caught native species in your
state) and feeding them for 2-3 weeks, you've already used up the $100 that
you have to spend and you don't even have cage for them yet. It's just my
opinion, but I think that both you and the lizards would be better off if you
let them loose back into their natural habitat, and saved up to buy them the
proper enclosure and care that they deserve. Good luck with everything!
hmmmmmm....

Old 04-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #50
Bahamut
Look around in the classified sections of local papers, especially from bigger cities nearby. I see setups for sale all the time from people whose iguana died, etc. Do try to get the largest cage you can before you try to keep them. I have to agree with Paul on this. It doesn't sound as if your parents are very supportive of your hobby, and any failures you have because you rush thing are going to be "I told you so" episodes. I know from experience. I didn't have a place to get good advice when I started, so please take advantage of our experience now to increase your chances of success with your hobby later.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!