Scott J. Michaels of SerpentCity poor business ethics and just plain rude ~ AVOID - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:17 PM   #41
jsrocket
The timeline in the records Jim found is interesting:

1980 - Gets his Ill. state license as a registered pharmacist

1988 - Gets his state license to practice veterinary medicine

1991 - Vet license expires, he does not renew it (odd)

1995 - Was back practicing as a pharmacist; license suspended because he did not report to the state that he had been fired because "controlled substances" were found missing on his watch.

2003 - Gets his pharmacist license back, with probation

2005 - Pharmacist license suspended again; vicodin found in his system on a drug test

This has the makings of a 20/20 report, or at least some riveting drama here on good old Fauna.

Someone get this guy on here to tell his story. It will undoubtedly be some great free entertainment.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #42
Reptile Basics
Well I have now seen his new ad

That was supposed to be the big deal. Seems Matt and I are still cheaper on the flexwatt, he still charges for the 25 seconds it takes him to make the connection and he is now the "evil addict doctor" or some such s***. I am still waiting for the obligatory " I will kick your ass at the next show" or similar remark. I don't know about Matt but I could use a good ass kicking.

I will have to say I don't see what his career or personal troubles have to do with this wave of business stupidity he seems to be enjoying other than to make good gossip here. He has also been carrying the "DVM" flag for as long as I can remember. I think he and Evan Stahl had a bit of a blowout on here awhile back over that and some other things. If he went to school for it, worked hard for it and got it then good for him. He isn't the only person to go to school and get a degree and I personally think it a bit tacky to use it (especially when not practicing) anywhere but on the door to his office or where it applies but that is up to him. I don't think it applies to heat tape nor does it make him immune from acting like an ass.

Rich Goldzung
Reptile Basics Inc
www.reptilebasics.com

Old 11-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #43
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Basics
I will have to say I don't see what his career or personal troubles have to do with this wave of business stupidity
It does when he bills himself as a veterinarian and a pharmacist as if it gives him credibility. He opened the door for that. If he doesn't mention it in his ads and e-mails then I would agree that it is not relevant. JMHO.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:30 AM   #44
Chameleon Company
Hey Rich,

I am sure that many of us feel as Jim O. mentioned, that the good doctor opened himself up to this. I'll reckon that you are probably in agreement with us too, and it is quite the good gossip, as you mention. When this thread began, many of us were scratching our heads wondering how a "professional" could stopp to such pettiness and unprofessionalism. I was half expecting to hear that someone else had hijacked his computer as a prank. In the end, the adage is that "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", and the ex-doctor's glass house gets bigger with every revelation. I would also hope that he would someday finally elevate himself again from the morass he has fallen into.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #45
Cat_72
Well, I believe that it has plenty to with whether or not I would want to do business with the guy.....if his ethics/morals are poor enough to cause him to have his license revoked....more than once.....he's not the kind of person I'd EVER choose to do business with.

Of course, the ludicrous emails didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about him either....

Old 11-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #46
gmherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
It does when he bills himself as a veterinarian and a pharmacist as if it gives him credibility. He opened the door for that. If he doesn't mention it in his ads and e-mails then I would agree that it is not relevant. JMHO.

When someone does that they try to seperate themselves from the rest. I have bought flexwatt and supplies from both parties. Both parties customer service was an A+!!! BUT, when someone trashes another person because they aren't charging what they think the price should be, now that's just plain anal. Hell, it's just flexwatt. Look at the BP market, people with certain morphs charge way less and advertise as such.

This could go on forever, but the bottom line is that Matt has proven himself to this community as well as other communities as a stand up business savy man. I'll keep sending my $$ to Matt.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:22 AM   #47
Cat_72
That reminds me........I gotta email Matt and see if I can pick his brain about a putting new Flexwatt in a small rack I just got.

To me, that's what REALLY makes someone like Matt the person I want to do business with.....yeah, his prices are great (uh, when did that sale end again?? LOL) but even if his prices were the same as this Scott Michaels, I would choose to deal with someone as personable and helpful as Matt any day. I feel like Matt is someone you can call up and ask questions without him telling me I'm a complete idiot....LOL. Especially in this day and age, that's something.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #48
hill4803
Surprised no one has mentioned to good Dr.'s little paypal surcharge. That was the reason I ordered from Matt and not from S. Michaels. I agree paypal nickles and dimes sellers to death, but it is against their TOS to charge for using the service...why not just say there is a minimum order?

Ro Hill

Old 11-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #49
gmherps
I thought the charging on fees only applied to EBay auctions?

About a month ago I went to Paypal's site and it said you could not charge a fee to EBay auctions. I don't know ho far that applies though.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #50
Nirvana
Quote:
Scott J. Michaels DVM RPh (the evil addict doctor!)
(Quote taken from Scott Michaels' new ad!)

How could that possibly in ANY way help his business? If someone has read this thread, then they'll get the "joke," but I would assume and hope that they would also see his "questionable" character and avoid him. If someone has NOT read this thread -- why would anybody want to buy from someone who claimed to be an "evil addict??"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!