GAS PRICES! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:14 AM   #41
Otter_23
If they buy the project at 90% completion why finish it until they need to? They are making a killing on oil right now and will continue to do so for awhile. They have seen the highest profit of any business in the US ever. I agree they want the alternative fuel but who is to say they don't already have those in place? Why release them when they continue to line their pockets? I think they will continue to see how much people are willing to pay (and blame the rise of costs on butterflies farting near the pipelines or other possible elections happening) and continue to make record profits. Some of their excuses for raising the price of oil is unreal at best. Like the elections in Nigeria, or it looks like it was going to be a bad hurricane season last year etc...

Regardless I won't be able to change the price of gas but I can definately change some of my habits to save myself some money.

Cathy I live in the country as well and many of those options aren't available to me as well. My cousin has it nice though, she lives in Chicago and doesn't even own a car. Walks or takes the bus everywhere.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #42
sschind
At some point, getting the last reserves of oils will become more and more expensive cutting into their profits. This will in turn cause the retail price to rise and at some point demand will fall. If demand falls the price will have to fall accordingly thus decreasing their profits even further. If they can get alternative fuels on the market sooner it will lessen the demand for the oil and they will not be under so much pressure to pump it out at such high expense. Also it will keep the supplies of oil around longer and available to generate profits albeit smaller ones. I'm not saying this will happen in the next few years, but within 20 years I am guessing one of the major oil companies (well who knows what the major oil companies might look like in 20 years.) will develop a radical new fuel source, or at least they will claim to have developed it.

I'm in the middle of a Clive Cussler novel right now (The Treasure of Kahn) that is dealing with world wide oil consumption. Its fiction of course but if you are familiar at all with his books you know he goes to a lot of effort to make things accurate. I'm sure he talked to a few economists and oil "experts" in reading the book.

Your second paragraph hit the nail on the head. Since you have no control over the price all you can control is the demand more specifically your personal demand. The beauty of it is, if enough people curtail their demand it just might have an effect on the price.

Like I said to Cathy, if you are doing all you can to cut back then that is great. I think you can take a bit of pride in the fact that you have taken that step even though that step might not have been taken for anything other than selfish reasons. The key is, if and when prices ever come down again will you stick to your efforts. Everything in the past has proven that as a whole society will not. Heck, even now at record or near record prices people are still driving more than ever. They are complaining more than ever as well but they are not slowing down their consumption.

Also, I'd rather live in the country and pay for my gas than to live in Chicago or any other big city as far as that goes.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #43
Stardust
Quote:
Also, I'd rather live in the country and pay for my gas than to live in Chicago or any other big city as far as that goes.
Yep (besides the fact that I can say "yep" and get away with it) I was born in Chicago and raised in the burbs but I have come to love the country.
I am considering finding a place not so far from any stores but one which I can still have my privacy and peace.
As a child I used to love my grandparents telling me stories, never thought I myself would get there but now I can say " I remember when gas prices were .50 a gal...."

Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #44
IloveSnakes1234
I noticed the gas price lowered 3 CENTS!!!! YAY!! 3 cents, thats like 3 million... without the million.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #45
sschind
yeah, we're 3 weeks from Memorial day yet. Prices will have to drop about 12 cents in the next 2 weeks so they can jump up 25 cents on the 24th.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #46
critical bill
Hey...I was siphoning my gas from a neighbors car till he bought a friggin locking gas cap. Nah just kidding. Gas prices suck....$2.93 a gallon here in the Poconos.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #47
Bill & Amy
I've heard rumors that most areas will be $3.20 + by 4th of July.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #48
fuscusking13
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical bill
Hey...I was siphoning my gas from a neighbors car till he bought a friggin locking gas cap. Nah just kidding. Gas prices suck....$2.93 a gallon here in the Poconos.
You know I had one of those locking gas caps on my last car and friggin hated it(really annoying especially on trips to jersey where you are not allowed to pump your own gas), now maybe I should get one lol. I cant afford gas as it is, but if someone starts stealing it I will be in a lot of trouble. Oh well...Dan M.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #49
Stardust
If it creeps down to the 3.00 range again I think I will tiptoe my burb to the nearest gas station and fill her up and then let her sit again until I need her in the winter or big family outings.
It is in great shape and I wouldn't get nearly what I should for her now so might as well keep it.

Just let someone try to come on to my land and take my gas If this is going to turn into Mad Max then I am ready!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #50
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust
Just let someone try to come on to my land and take my gas If this is going to turn into Mad Max then I am ready!
Hahahahahahaha...

I work by dark and I siphon like a ninja. Just go see if I'm kidding and try and start that Burb up. Your tank is empty girlfriend!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!