Bad Guy Derek Corrado AKA DC Reptiles - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #51
melas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Y'all have avoided answering my question as to whether this person has been notified about this thread. You need to let him know so that we can hear his side.
The link to this thread has been posted on several forums he frequents, in threads that he has been active in recently. I am CERTAIN he is aware of this thread . . .

As far as the police not being called - I would have reported it personally. However it is pretty certain that this would have gone nowhere. The total value of the stolen property is small, the thief is from NJ, the Seller from NY, the Buyer from NC. That alone takes it to federal jurisdiction. There was some discussion about taking this to USFW as a Lacey Act violation - stolen CITES animals transported across state lines. I think that would have been the way to go. Anyhow - I can also understand not wanting to be bothered with the hassle - I got burned on Kingsnake by a guy that was well known here (I have a post on it). I filed all the reports etc and heard NOTHING back. The reality is that this would go nowhere. The frogs are back and now we are just trying to make sure this guy isn't able to do business freely any longer . . .

Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #52
Bcs TX
Lucille,
I sent him a private message on Dendroboard. He does not have an e-mail address on his profile.

-Beth

Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #53
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by melas View Post
The link to this thread has been posted on several forums he frequents, in threads that he has been active in recently. I am CERTAIN he is aware of this thread . . .

As far as the police not being called - I would have reported it personally. However it is pretty certain that this would have gone nowhere. The total value of the stolen property is small, the thief is from NJ, the Seller from NY, the Buyer from NC. That alone takes it to federal jurisdiction. There was some discussion about taking this to USFW as a Lacey Act violation - stolen CITES animals transported across state lines. I think that would have been the way to go. Anyhow - I can also understand not wanting to be bothered with the hassle - I got burned on Kingsnake by a guy that was well known here (I have a post on it). I filed all the reports etc and heard NOTHING back. The reality is that this would go nowhere. The frogs are back and now we are just trying to make sure this guy isn't able to do business freely any longer . . .
You keep trying to make this a civil case, this would not be a federal civil case if you made a criminal complaint. Where are you getting your information?

Plus, if all the elements of theft were satisfied (and that has not been shown), and might be hard to pin down since the frogs were returned, there might have been a conviction.

I myself, had this happened to me, would have filed a report.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #54
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs TX View Post
Lucille,
I sent him a private message on Dendroboard. He does not have an e-mail address on his profile.

-Beth
Thank you Beth

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #55
melas
Quote:
You keep trying to make this a civil case, this would not be a federal civil case if you made a criminal complaint. Where are you getting your information?

Plus, if all the elements of theft were satisfied (and that has not been shown), and might be hard to pin down since the frogs were returned, there might have been a conviction.

I myself, had this happened to me, would have filed a report.
First - I stated that I would have followed through with it as well.

Second - The MD State Police cannot go and serve a warrant in NJ . . . you understand that right? We have at least two police officers in our ranks. Also - for several weeks we were working with the individual who came forward claiming responsibility. We agreed not to call law enforcement in order to get them back. Once that deal fell through it was open season . . . however Chris and Julio have yet to pursue it.

Here are the before pictures of the stolen frogs:

Male:

Female:

I've got to say that I'm getting pissed that Chris has not come on here yet and said more.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #56
Philsuma
I just have to say that I'm very proud of how the dart frog hobby community came together and handled this entire incident from start to finish.

As you can infer from the above postings...this was not an "easy" incident. It involved numeous states, jurisdictions and people. What made it particularly heinous, is that the theft took place at a well known and respected members own house, where we have yearly meetings with food and fellowship.

The decision to involve police is complicated too. suffice it to say, that decision should not take center stage and become a negative aspect of this incident.

There was another theft at the NY White Plains show, involving this same individual and police involvment was not agreed on. While, unfortunate, we (the hobby) gave that same individual a "pass" - that's how gracious and forgiving this hobby community attempted to be !

Not now.

We are determined to no have a third incident.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #57
Lucille
There is, in fact, an extradition process.

I myself would not buy five hundred dollar frogs and then just put them with my personal effects while I continued to look through the frog convention as the buyer apparently did, but that aside, the frogs were apparently taken and then returned, meanwhile causing a ruckus in the frog community.

Several posters have taken to slinging around incorrect legal theory. All that does is create an impression that the posters do not really know what they are talking about, and that impression does not serve your credibility.

I am not unsympathetic. I would be very upset if I spent that kind of money and had my critters taken. Try to summon all your evidence and let the readers decide whether they would in fact choose to do business with any of the named parties in the future.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #58
Philsuma
Quote:
There is, in fact, an extradition process.

I myself would not buy five hundred dollar frogs and then just put them with my personal effects while I continued to look through the frog convention as the buyer apparently did, but that aside, the frogs were apparently taken and then returned, meanwhile causing a ruckus in the frog community.

Several posters have taken to slinging around incorrect legal theory. All that does is create an impression that the posters do not really know what they are talking about, and that impression does not serve your credibility.

I am not unsympathetic. I would be very upset if I spent that kind of money and had my critters taken. Try to summon all your evidence and let the readers decide whether they would in fact choose to do business with any of the named parties in the future.
This was a personal domicile....house.....family......not a "frog convention".

We take great pride in our fellowship and hospitality at our meetings. Please don't begin to lecture us on crime prevention techniques.

What is the correct legalities then? As a retired State Trooper who prosecuted well over 150 theft cases - forgery, embezzlement, identity theft, retail theft, counterfeiting, bad checks...some of which were multi jurisdictional.....I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #59
frogface
This was not a convention. This was an intimate setting in a fellow frogger's home with a set number of attendees who knew each other. A small bbq at a friends house, if you will. Most would not feel the need to hide their belongings at such an event.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #60
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
This was not a convention. This was an intimate setting in a fellow frogger's home with a set number of attendees who knew each other. A small bbq at a friends house, if you will. Most would not feel the need to hide their belongings at such an event.
I can see that, I did not realize that this was someone's home. So y'all invited this guy to the bbq?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!