Info Just got this from SYR - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #51
Southern Wolf
Just an example since we are getting into summer.

Cool packs melt... its a fact of life. How fast they melt (and thus quit cooling) depends on the insulation in your box and the outside temps. The better your insulation and the lower the outside temps... the longer your cool pack will last.

With that in mind.. you take the same box and the same cool pack... and your animal will be protected longer if it is shipped via FedEx in one of their climate controlled express vans vs shipping with UPS in their hot ... no AC even for the driver... delivery trucks.

Personally... Id rather my animal be comfortable for longer periods of time vs.... hoping something doesnt go wrong in shipping and they get delivered late.

I know there are alot of variables that cant be accounted for... and Im not bashing UPS as a company... but for the sake of shipping live animals... I am bashing on their equipment. I'll choose a van with some sort of air over a hot brown truck anyday.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #52
dustinNMpythons
$80,000 a month sounds like a lot of money to be handing over to the competition (FEDEX). Sounds like fedex is the way to go, even though I've had countless reptiles outgoing and incoming shipped through SYR and everything went great. It does seem kind of ironic that this is happening right in the middle of the python ban going down. Wonder if it has anything to do with it until this whole thing blows over?? I would think this is too big of an industry I read the other day the reptile industry brings in over $2 billion a year so I can't imagine them doing anything too drastic.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #53
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Geckos View Post
the reason your packages have been left on your porch is because the shipper did not specify, when he set the shipping date and info, "SIGN FOR DELIVERY"...it is an extra cost with SYR b/c the driver actually has to wait for someone to open the door and if no one opens he has to write a slip....the shipper was probably trying to save an extra $5...so when your driver just leaves the package on your door...it's probably the shippers fault...

Every package I send out with FedEx is "Signature Required".... I dont think it costs me anything extra.. but I will check next time I prepair a shipment... will get the quote before and after selecting that option.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #55
Imperial Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
Every package I send out with FedEx is "Signature Required".... I dont think it costs me anything extra.. but I will check next time I prepair a shipment... will get the quote before and after selecting that option.
sounds like good idea..i have always shipped SYR and they charge like an extra $4.10 for "SIGNATURE REQUIRED" option...

also i never knew that when shipping reptiles with fedex they get transported in a small temp controlled van.. is that an extra option or is it standard for all Fedex Overnight shipments?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #56
Imperial Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt501 View Post
i dont think thats why they SYR temporarily stopped snake shipments -.-

Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #57
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenspets View Post
This really sucks for all of us, but in the end it may suck a lot more for the people at S.Y.R.
It only sucks if you dont spend the time to set up a free account with FedEx and do what it takes to get certified. It really isn't that difficult.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #58
bradleymoore
i'm lucky to have both ups and fedex business accounts. i generally ship ups through my business because it seems to be even less expensive than SYR and i know my drivers pretty well.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #59
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Geckos View Post
sounds like good idea..i have always shipped SYR and they charge like an extra $4.10 for "SIGNATURE REQUIRED" option...

also i never knew that when shipping reptiles with fedex they get transported in a small temp controlled van.. is that an extra option or is it standard for all Fedex Overnight shipments?
I can ONLY speak about my shipments... but I will assume it is the case everywhere.

Every regular shipment I get comes in the big delivery trucks like UPS uses... however my express shipments allways come in some sort of van or like the Freightliner delivery vans. Even my UPS driver told me those delivery vans with FedEx are temp controlled.

Here is what I am thinking... Since there is a smaller number of express shipments vs regular shipments... they put them on a different delivery truck to get them to you faster.

dunno

Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #60
bradleymoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
I can ONLY speak about my shipments... but I will assume it is the case everywhere.

Every regular shipment I get comes in the big delivery trucks like UPS uses... however my express shipments allways come in some sort of van or like the Freightliner delivery vans. Even my UPS driver told me those delivery vans with FedEx are temp controlled.

Here is what I am thinking... Since there is a smaller number of express shipments vs regular shipments... they put them on a different delivery truck to get them to you faster.

dunno

i too get my snakes via temp controlled van when delivered fedex to my workplace. i've even somehow got one delivered on a fedex freight semi since we get stuff all the time overnight priority a.m.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!