The Fauna Draft - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #61
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Company
Looking at the accumulating red dots and high negative karma values that it reflects, its a shame to see one more system of peer recognition here be devalued so quickly. Its not a step forward for the site IMMHO.
Good point there Jim. Spot on in my opinion.

Its been mentioned before that Karma is sometimes abused (much less so since the changes) by groups of members abusing the system by meating out a Karma "beating".

What happened to Denise and Wes was no different then the abuses of the Karma system seen previously here at Fauna - the only difference being one individual was able to accomplish what previously took dozens to do.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #62
DaveyFig
Quote:
Looking at the accumulating red dots and high negative karma values that it reflects, its a shame to see one more system of peer recognition here be devalued so quickly. Its not a step forward for the site IMMHO.
There are several people on the site who have been lifted to a God-like karma level by votes from people who like what they have to say and the way they present it. They could easily counteract the damage done by Rich's karma sword, and yet the red dots remain.
Either those people don't make it to this section to squabble over stuff like this, they don't agree with the poster who had their points smashed, or they just don't see it fit to restore them . Whatever the reason, it says something about the whole thing.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #63
SoulSmilen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
I warned you about standing behind me.

Better listen next time.
I didn't even see your ding.. dang.

One thing, though... your comment here makes it look like I've only said what I said to agree with you or make points only because I'm backing you. It's pretty misleading for anyone reading since you and I haven't even spoken in almost a month, aside from an occasional greeting in the chatroom; thanks for the vote of confidence on having a mind of my own.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #64
Stardust
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyFig
There are several people on the site who have been lifted to a God-like karma level by votes from people who like what they have to say and the way they present it. They could easily counteract the damage done by Rich's karma sword, and yet the red dots remain.
Either those people don't make it to this section to squabble over stuff like this, they don't agree with the poster who had their points smashed, or they just don't see it fit to restore them . Whatever the reason, it says something about the whole thing.
Actually for Denise's post that was after yours I did try to give her good karma. It said I had to spread it around before giving her karma

Old 01-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #65
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyFig

Dave -

Even someone with the highest level of Karma can only bestow a minute fraction of the thousand point ding issued to Wes and Denise.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #66
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSmilen
I didn't even see your ding.. dang.

One thing, though... your comment here makes it look like I've only said what I said to agree with you or make points only because I'm backing you. It's pretty misleading for anyone reading since you and I haven't even spoken in almost a month, aside from an occasional greeting in the chatroom; thanks for the vote of confidence on having a mind of my own.
Well then let me clear that right up, Ma'am.

I had nothing whatever to do with anything Soul has posted nor did she with anything I posted.

As has happened in the past, two minds reached similar conclusions independant of eachother.

There ya go, Ma'am, all on your own. So much so that there should be no doubt at all in anyones mind that you and I each work TOTALLY independantly.

As far as the dings, I don't really care. I've been at the top and deeper than I am now and to me it really doesn't matter.

I, just me, know the truth of the matter and no ones opinion has enough impact on my self worth to affect the way I see myself. I may pause to consider, rarely, what's been said, then proceed as I think I should; as I am now.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #67
WebSlave
Quote:
It hasn't been devalued at all. Matter of fact, quite to the contrary, I think, as it was used as designed. The design included giving the admin the capability to nuke someone using the system, so most certainly the designer knew such situations would arise where it would be needed. The implication here is that there would be a likelihood that the admin would get abused in such a manner that such tools would need to be deployed with just cause. And this is pretty much true all throughout the design of this entire system called vBulletin we are all using here. There are many tools at the disposal of the admin available for use to end the actions of one or more members who prove to be abusive and necessarily reprimanded.

As an aside, I sometimes will use this karma "nuking" function to neutralize someone who appears to be abusing the karma system in general. Yes, I monitor the karma points and comments, and I do know what some are doing here with it. So please don't waste your time and mine asking WHY you were nuked when it happens. We will both know why.

In the cases recently noted, two members were getting just a bit carried away with their rhetoric (and in one situation a clear cut case of karma abuse was taking place) and I felt it necessary to mildly rap them across the knuckles. I could have just as easily banned them both, and that would have been that, but I chose less harsh measure to see if that is enough of a warning. Hopefully it is, and my statements denoting that I just will not allow members to use this platform in that manner will be noted by everyone. I've just had enough of it, and that is that.

I never once asked anyone here what they thought of this new plan, nor tried to get approval from anyone here. And I still am NOT. I am trying this because it interests me to try it, and I am hopeful that it may make things better here for ME, with the side effect it may make things better for a majority of the other members here. If it does, fine. If it doesn't, well fine, I will just roll it back and it is back the way it was. Which, of course, some will squeal over just as vociferously as they are about THIS change.

So yes, many times I can take a slap in the face and just laugh it off. But not always............ So go ahead, take your chances at it.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #68
Chameleon Company
o Davey

Quote:
You do not understand the Karma system. While I used to be able to award a punch of something like 65 points, Rich made unexplained changes, and now I pack something in the 30's, and even I can no longer find out. So it would take about 35 more like me to "undo" as you say. Undoing is not the purpose of Karma.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 AM   #69
Chameleon Company
Rich,
No doubt the smack-downs may have been warranted. No doubt you had the power. Some of us see it as an abuse of that power none-the-less. As Mike pointed out, these people are now lower than the worst of the worst as determined by peer review using the system you provided. Not your finest moment, again IMMHO.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #70
DaveyFig
I guess I don't understand it at all then, but even 100 people thinking that Denise is right isn't far fetched considering the number of people using Fauna. If doing and undoing isn't the point of Karma points, then what is the point of a system that allows people to value and devalue ?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!