Hurricane Katrina - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #71
listenn
Thank you, Rich.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:50 AM   #72
listenn
Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
What about all the others you can't locate?
Everyone on the list I posted are: Dr.'s, nurses, paramedics, teachers that maned shelters, patients, people being cared for by someone else that I have not been able to get in contact with, or people I lost contact with that I just want to make sure is OK.

Most stayed to care for and help evacuate those that could not care for theirself. If I would have been there, I would have been helping too. I couldn't lift heavy things, or do any of the other restrictions an L4-S1 two-level fusion restricts you from doing. My surgery was just on 3/9/05. However, If you have medical training you are obligated to use it.

International Code of Medical Ethics of the World Medical Association

Duties of Doctors to the Sick
A doctor must always bear in mind the obligation of preserving human life from conception.

A doctor owes to his patient complete loyalty and all the resources of his science.

A doctor shall preserve absolute secrecy on all he knows about his patient because of the confidence entrusted in him.

A doctor must give emergency care as a humanitarian duty unless he is assured that others are willing and able to give such care.

Pick a hospital, mental, medical, any hospital. Not 100% of patients that had a choice to leave. Some, if not most, were not capable of leaving of their own free will and some could not make that choice. Infants too young, those not mentally capable, transplant recipients/ donors, ICU patients, are examples of people that for some other reason do not have the ability to make a choice. They were left for others to be responsible for. :/

Please be a little more open-minded about the different situations people are in. They're not all ideal, nor chosen unfortunately. Enough bad has come out of the whole situation as it is. If everyone does a little to help, it's that much more help that is given.

I really appreciate you understanding. A lot of people lost a lot of things and if we can help them find hope . . . it could change their lives, and maybe, just maybe, it could give motivation to those who were letting life pass them by.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:41 AM   #73
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by listenn
International Code of Medical Ethics of the World Medical Association

Duties of Doctors to the Sick
A doctor must always bear in mind the obligation of preserving human life from conception.

A doctor owes to his patient complete loyalty and all the resources of his science.

A doctor shall preserve absolute secrecy on all he knows about his patient because of the confidence entrusted in him.

A doctor must give emergency care as a humanitarian duty unless he is assured that others are willing and able to give such care.
Now Julie, you have poked at me for a comment that I made, but here you did not exactly give the true code, now did you? You editorialized, which is ok so long as you say so.

Here are the words, directly from their web page at http://www.wma.net/e/policy/c8.htm
Quote:
DUTIES OF PHYSICIANS TO THE SICK
A PHYSICIAN SHALL always bear in mind the obligation of preserving human life.
A PHYSICIAN SHALL owe his patients complete loyalty and all the resources of his science. Whenever an examination or treatment is beyond the physician's capacity he should summon another physician who has the necessary ability.
A PHYSICIAN SHALL preserve absolute confidentiality on all he knows about his patient even after the patient has died.
A PHYSICIAN SHALL give emergency care as a humanitarian duty unless he is assured that others are willing and able to give such care.
This discussion is not about when human life begins or about abortion, so why did you add "from conception"? That was kind of a cheap way to make your view known, don't you think?

And none of this changes the fact that many people who did not need to stay chose to stay. And we are all picking up the tab for their rescue and care. Again, we are all aghast at the human suffering here, but really, some of it could have been prevented with better choices. I agree that some had no choice, but frankly I would not have stayed in harm's way for a job at a chemical plant or as an educator. As a health care professional perhaps, but if I had been your parents I would have been long out of there. From the sound of it they had the resources and the choice.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:59 AM   #74
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by listenn
Please be a little more open-minded about the different situations people are in.
I do not see how me asking the two questions I asked implies that I am being closed-minded. Maybe you are reading from Richard’s version of my posts. I was merely wondering why your relatives stayed behind since I didn't see that information in your previous posts. I didn't know if they stayed holed up in their homes and were swept out to sea, or if you simply couldn't contact them after their evacuation, or the situation you just informed us. I was just trying to understand the situation you and they are in which seems pretty open-minded to me.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #75
Wilomn
You know, just as an aside, it REALLY pisses me off when people misquote something that has some weight and validity, tradition or heritage.

To do it intentionally is even WORSE.

It destroys credibility, sometimes forever.

Unless it is an obvious joke, play on words or something known by all to be of a facetious nature, mis-quotes should NOT happen.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #76
listenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Now Julie, you have poked at me for a comment that I made, but here you did not exactly give the true code, now did you? You editorialized, which is ok so long as you say so.

Here are the words, directly from their web page at http://www.wma.net/e/policy/c8.htm

This discussion is not about when human life begins or about abortion, so why did you add "from conception"? That was kind of a cheap way to make your view known, don't you think?

And none of this changes the fact that many people who did not need to stay chose to stay. And we are all picking up the tab for their rescue and care. Again, we are all aghast at the human suffering here, but really, some of it could have been prevented with better choices. I agree that some had no choice, but frankly I would not have stayed in harm's way for a job at a chemical plant or as an educator. As a health care professional perhaps, but if I had been your parents I would have been long out of there. From the sound of it they had the resources and the choice.

That was not the site I referenced. From conception was already there. International Code of Medical Ethics of the World Medical Association - 1949 Adopted by the Third General Assembly of the World Medical Association at London in October 1949. (World Medical Association Bulletin, vol. 1, no. 3, October 1949, pp.109, 111).
http://www.cirp.org/library/ethics/intlcode/

It states:

"Duties of Doctors to the Sick
A doctor must always bear in mind the obligation of preserving human life from conception. Therapeutic abortion may only be performed if the conscience of the doctors and the national laws permit.

A doctor owes to his patient complete loyalty and all the resources of his science. Whenever an examination or treatment is beyond his capacity he should summon another doctor who has the necessary ability.

A doctor must give emergency care as a humanitarian duty unless he is assured that others are willing and able to give such care."

I omitted "Therapeutic abortion may only be performed if the conscience of the doctors and the national laws permit." and I omitted "Whenever an examination or treatment is beyond his capacity he should summon another doctor who has the necessary ability."

I never said my parents did not have the resources to leave. I said some do not. My mom is the Office Manager and one of the VP's. Some of Channel Chemical's typical products and processes include: Esterifications, Metal Acetylacetonates, Microencapsulation* (such as Microencapsulated
Potassium Pursulfate), Phosphonates Polyacrylates, Polyurethanes, Recrystalizations and Sulfonic Acids. They specialize in the manufacture of products, both wet and dry, requiring glass-lined and stainless steel equipment, so it's rather important to have a first response team there ASAP if anything happens, and frankly lives can be lost if no one is.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #77
Jim O
Perhaps you should use "up to date" references or source references? That may have been the 1949 guidelines but the current ones are the ones that I quoted in their entirety. I still fail to see how an office manager sticking around in a hurricane could save lives. In health care (where some lives are occasionally saved) such people are generally considered "non-essential" and are sent home in anticipation of a major event, at least that is my experience in health care in a storm prone area. Even if she was a chemical engineer with the expertise to handle such a disaster, generally haz-mat people are brought in to do so. In fact some such experts on local (to here) fire departments have been deployed to Louisiana and Mississippi to handle such situations.

My point is not to fight, but there is a bit more drama in some of your posts than there might need to be. We all know that you and yours are hurt and suffering, but it seems at least some of them did have choices. Choices that were in my opinion, and that of others, poorly exercised.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #78
listenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Perhaps you should use "up to date" references or source references? That may have been the 1949 guidelines but the current ones are the ones that I quoted in their entirety. I still fail to see how an office manager sticking around in a hurricane could save lives. In health care (where some lives are occasionally saved) such people are generally considered "non-essential" and are sent home in anticipation of a major event, at least that is my experience in health care in a storm prone area. Even if she was a chemical engineer with the expertise to handle such a disaster, generally haz-mat people are brought in to do so. In fact some such experts on local (to here) fire departments have been deployed to Louisiana and Mississippi to handle such situations.

My point is not to fight, but there is a bit more drama in some of your posts than there might need to be. We all know that you and yours are hurt and suffering, but it seems at least some of them did have choices. Choices that were in my opinion, and that of others, poorly exercised.

She is not only an office manager and a VP, she IS trained to help in chemical situations. I didn't know you wanted her resume and training background.

It's comments like "I still fail to see how an office manager sticking around in a hurricane could save lives.", and "My point is not to fight, but there is a bit more drama in some of your posts than there might need to be." that really don't come across as someone who genuinely cares.

People from quite a few states have been deployed to help and I appreciate all of them.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #79
listenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
I do not see how me asking the two questions I asked implies that I am being closed-minded. Maybe you are reading from Richard’s version of my posts. I was merely wondering why your relatives stayed behind since I didn't see that information in your previous posts. I didn't know if they stayed holed up in their homes and were swept out to sea, or if you simply couldn't contact them after their evacuation, or the situation you just informed us. I was just trying to understand the situation you and they are in which seems pretty open-minded to me.

It did not seem to me that you were trying to understand my, my family's, or friend's situation at all. You came across as being harsh, so I responded in the like. IMHO it looked like you were trying to point blame. If you were wanting information to help and try to find them, IE. me supplying info of whether, or not they had been swept out to sea, etc., if I knew what had happened to them I would not have posted them as still missing. Some of them could have been. I DO NOT KNOW. If you truly care, could you perhaps word things a little more sincerely?

I'm searching for the familys of:

New Orleans, LA area:
George, Donnie, Barbara, Clay and Kathy Bohn
Faith and Joyce Champagne

Gulfport, MS area:
Gene, Jan, and Charlie Swearengine (Charlie is a life flight paramedic)
Justin (Gerald) Richardson
Laurie, Cowles and Will Sims (Laurie taught @ Long Beach Jr High)
Lyisha Barkum
John Paul and Leslie Corassco
Tereasa Ungarro
Theresa Ouilette
Georgeanna Kinney
Vicky Lindsey (taught @ Bayou View Jr High)
Vickey Lindsey
Gerald Tate (mom taught @ Bayou View Jr High)

Kiln, MS area:
Janet Fayard

THANK ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE HELPED UPDATE THIS LIST!
(9/13 12:07pm CST)

Sincerely

Old 09-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #80
Jim O
There you go again Julie. More drama.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!