Info Seeking Advice on Dan Scolardo - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #81
KNOBTAIL
Unhappy You know Haley,

I sometimes wonder if you know what you are talking about or are you just filling space in an argument that makes no sense at all... This is the animal business if you have not realized that !
Dan followed the letter of his Terms of Service. The customer agreed to those terms of service and is, unless there's some law in the state the transaction occurred in that would override that TOS, they get to swallow the results of their choices of who to send their money to.

Dan has a TOS just like anyone else who is in business :who sells reptiles.. The responsibility to understand what the limitations are belong to the buyer.. If the buyer is not happy with the risk factor, dont buy ! Its really that simple. I think we both know that some animals are more susceptible and problematic when it comes to shipping.. There is always a risk factor regardless of whom the shipper may be... The TOS serves as a guidline that the seller just like in any other industry.. Almost all shippers have them.. When you are going to make a purchase, you ask what the conditions are to consummate the sale ! So please spare us your logic !

"These are the terms of a person who will screw their buyer at every opportunity." Which they are. Every clause and every line is designed to give Dan a retreat when something goes wrong. Sellers should take the time to write up a reasonable set of guarantees and terms to protect themselves but they should not do this at the expense of their buyer."

TOS is designed to let the buyer know what the terms of the sale are... As I said previously, the buyer does not have to entertain the purchase.. There are more stringent TOS out in the Herp market then Dans... Many dealers, refuse to guarantee any amphibians under any circumstance. This does not make them a crook or assume that the animals are not in good condition..

That holds true for reptiles as well.... That includes the length of the liability upon recipt of the animals, the carriers who ship and a whole host of other factors that may require additional terms depending on the animals involved.. Not uncommon, and certainly a very well established criteria in this business

So please be a bit more realistic, just like in any other industry the terms are slanted toward the seller, but dont infer that the transaction itself is shady... Just look at the back of an auto sale, or a rental lease, or even any herp dealer. Not only are the terms from other animal dealers more stringent then Dans, you may be surprised to find waivers included in the TOS or the buyer may have to sign and return a waiver by fax before a shipment is even sent.... to prevent charge backs from credit card transactions... Dealers, and PayPal users , use these methods to protect their interests. Certainly they have a right to do so... That includes Dan. Like it or not !

Dan won't cover anything that's alive but visibly ill or injured. Dan won't cover an animal that is having issues as a result of carrier mishandling (the carrier

This is nothing more then a assumption that has no basis once the buyer lets the seller know that everything arrived well ! I dont know how long you have been in this business, but if an animal arrives visibly ill or injured, you are not going to send the seller acknowledging that everything is fine ! Secondly, its the obligation of the buyer to notify the seller if any unusual appearance looks suspicious upon receipt...

You dont send an email to the seller telling them everything looks good and then 4 or 5 days later advise the animal is dead and that its Dans fault... and that you dont know what happened. Accoding to your logic regardless of how the animal arrives, whether its 4 days or 4 weeks Dan is responsible and it could never be the buyers fault ! Give me a break..

Many dealers, and more common now then ever before, will not guarantee live delivery if there is a carrier mishap... But if Dan mentions it in his TOS, Seamus Haley is right there always looking to take a reasonable measure, which other dealers do, and blame Dan as another mechanism for cheating people if the animal dies due to carrier mishandling... I know of no one in the industry other then you who seems to use this as an excuse.. This leads me to wonder,

Just how experienced you are in this field.. One gets the impression that your only justification for providing any information is quoting from various statues, or reading into things that are not there, or just trying to bait people into an argument like you attempted with me...I have a funny feeling that the closest you have ever got to a reptile is in a book...! Or possibly a postage stamp.

the buyer paid DAN and DAN should be responsible for delivering

This just proves the above point... Your ridiculous in your thought process. Carriers have insurance, carriers do make errors, carriers do make delays. Its a fact of life, so whatever responsibilty you may want to put on Dan for a delayed shipment or a carrier issue becomes something that Dan has no control over, nor anyone else.

But for whatever reason Seamus Haley feels that of ALL the deliveries in the world, only Dan should be responsible regardless of whatever occurs due to carriers fault.. Why not include highjacking, war, or major plane failure... According to your skewed logic Dan should be liable for those as well..... Enough said..

Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #82
brrrman
Quote:
"I couldn't agree with Lucille more, It's the "little laws"people break and cheap ass standard live arrival guarantees, people hide behind. that will bring the wrath of big brother down and ruin our hobby. Any reptile that dies in 4 days is not healthy when shipped, poor husbandry takes awhile to kill an animal unless it was grossly abused. "
Quote:
How did you reach this intelligent conclusion ? What if the animal was very healthy and the delay or the cold or the heat or the stress killed the animal.!
I Got this informed decision from over thirty years of keeping breeding and learning about this business. I've seen healthy reptiles rebound from deplorable conditions.
Notice I said healthy. caimans are surviving in southern Florida where there are documented cold snaps in the 30s.We know that many crocodilians, large constrictors, iguanas, and even veiled chameleons are now surviving in Florida. When a reptile dies in 4 days it was either grossly abused, or it was ill already.All this crap about shipping stress and right temps is B.S. Every day hundreds of reptiles are shipped out with no problems, provided the right measures are taken. Shipping stress will not kill a healthy animal, nor will an extra day in a box if the proper packaging ,like styro and heat or cold packs are included.I'm not saying anyone can't kill a caiman in 4 days, just tie it out in the sun with no water. Or whack it on the head with a rock. I do not think reeve or his girl did these things. Dan seems to show up on here every other month with a dissatisfied customer whos animal was sick or dying and he hid behind his lame T.O.S.
Which is why I never buy from him ,or anyone else who only guarantees live arrival only.
Since your so quick to jump up and defend a known bad guy you won't be seeing my money anytime soon either, Jerry.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #83
Seamus Haley
Jerry, all I can really say is that either you're illiterate or I managed to communicate very, very poorly. Because you didn't understand a single damn thing I wrote.

Nobody else seems to have had an issue, so I am guessing it's the first one.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #84
lanceheads
Phillip,
I know Spectacled Caimans have established in extreme Southern Florida, (Dade Co.) but I seriously doubt Smooth Front's have, (which is what specie Dan sent) as they are found a lot farther south than Spectacled's normal range.

However, keeping ANY caiman, healthy or not in 90 degree temps will kill it.
This has been admitted? Correct? If this IS the case, then the animal WAS grossly abused.

Your quote:
"Which is why I never buy from him ,or anyone else who only guarantees live arrival only."

Just curious, what sort of terms do you require when you buy animals who guarantee's live arrival only? A guarantee that it has to live a certain period of time in YOUR care BEFORE you agree to buy it? Again, just curious, because I would like to know who the seller is, and buy animals on my conditions which, you seem to imply.

Randal Berry

Old 07-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #85
rosebud945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post
Jerry, all I can really say is that either you're illiterate or I managed to communicate very, very poorly. Because you didn't understand a single damn thing I wrote.

Nobody else seems to have had an issue, so I am guessing it's the first one.
As always, your language is crystal clear, Seamus. in fact, as a new breeder and eventual shipper, I appreciate the clarity that I have gained about the law from you and other posters in this thread.

Jerry, you argue like a man with an agenda, hence my question about your relationship with Dan. Your arguments reek of self interest with the personal slams and straw man tactics. We have pretty much all agreed that Dan's TOS as they are written were fulfilled and that the OP was naive and is essentially screwed with regard to any kind of refund or replacement of the animal, but as far as I can see, Dan did break federal law in his packaging. The basis for your responses is not logic, but personal slams.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #86
spawn
Quote:
This just proves the above point... Your ridiculous in your thought process. Carriers have insurance, carriers do make errors, carriers do make delays. Its a fact of life, so whatever responsibilty you may want to put on Dan for a delayed shipment or a carrier issue becomes something that Dan has no control over, nor anyone else.
Jerry, first off, you're pushing the whole 'I'm an objective judge on Dan's situation' a bit far. Your whole post up there reeked of polishing Dan's proverbial knob.

Second off, carriers do make errors. This is exactly why shipping services offer insurance. Even moreso, you seemed to acknowledge both of these things in the above quote...which makes me wonder why you decided Dan is void of being responsible for these things when something (if something) goes wrong on the shipper's end. Seamus' logic is solid:

1) Dan pays FedEx to ship animal;
2) Customer pays Dan for Dan's shipping expense to ensure no money-loss on Dan's end;
3) FedEx kills animal by way of damaged package/delay/erroneous problems;
4) Dan files claim with FedEx for the total value of his sent package, because FedEx did not carry out their end of the bargain - delivering the package unharmed within 24 hours.

At no point did the customer pay FedEx - Dan did. They are now subcontracted to Dan to deliver (pun intended). Therefore, if Dan does not deliver the animal in one piece an unharmed, it is Dan's responsibility to give a refund or accomodate the customer for the loss, and not leave it up to the "fact[s] of life".

You've merely sidestepped this logic because: A) you're fighting Dan's fight because he can't; B) you yourself ship animals and don't accomodate the customer for the shipper's error if and when they have/had occurred.

Quote:
Dan has a TOS just like anyone else who is in business :who sells reptiles.. The responsibility to understand what the limitations are belong to the buyer.. If the buyer is not happy with the risk factor, dont buy ! Its really that simple. I think we both know that some animals are more susceptible and problematic when it comes to shipping.. There is always a risk factor regardless of whom the shipper may be... The TOS serves as a guidline that the seller just like in any other industry.. Almost all shippers have them.. When you are going to make a purchase, you ask what the conditions are to consummate the sale !
I agree, except that Seamus was saying that Dan's terms read like those of someone who's not interested in helping the customer out after-the-fact - quite common in the industry - be that as it may, he was merely remarking that the customer has other choices [and better ones] when it comes to seller TOS. It's not a coincidence that Dan's terms seem to mesh well with the way he treats people who have legit problems that are even congruent with his TOS. He treats them like liars and frauds. Everyone of them. Because Dan never makes a mistake, and Dan has satisfied "x number of customers over 30 years" in the business. Although I should point out [if you haven't read my posts in the thread] that I do not think this customer's complaints were legit/worthwhile with exception to the Lacey Act violations.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #87
Mooing Tricycle
Uh... Does fedex even cover live animals in its insurance policy?

Old 07-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #88
Uroboros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Uh... Does fedex even cover live animals in its insurance policy?
No, they do not.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #89
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboros View Post
No, they do not.
so where is this compensation information coming from? Where are people getting this info that they believe it as fact? ( I asked because, i was pretty sure they didnt... but you know, gotta just make sure! I dont like to say information as 100% fact if im 95% sure)

Old 07-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #90
Suncoast Herpetological
The waiver that Fedex supplies to ship reptiles expressly forbids the shipper from filing any claim for failure of service.

Personally, I will not buy anything from a seller who is "not responsible for carrier errors". Since there is no recourse against the shipping company, if the seller is not responsible, as the only other party to the transaction, it means that that I, as the buyer have to bear that loss.

That is simply unacceptable in my book.

To Jerry, while I agree that Scolaro met his pathetic TOS in this instance, saying that Live Arrival Only is an industry standard is simply incorrect. A lot of dealers in imports use it but a lot don't. If that is all you are willing to guaranty then you do not have much confidence in the quality of what you are selling.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
dan scolaro